CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Summit Racing Oil - High Amount of ZDDP (1800) - Anyone Using it? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2459644-summit-racing-oil-high-amount-of-zddp-1800-anyone-using-it.html)

babbah 11-01-2009 12:48 AM

Summit Racing Oil - High Amount of ZDDP (1800) - Anyone Using it?

I just discovered that Summit Racing sells Racing Oil for Street/Strip that contains high ZincPhos. 1800 ZDDP. Great for older solid flat tappet cams.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-MG20W50/

On the Internet it says that this oil is mfg. by Spectro Oils and re-badged and sold by Summit Racing.

http://goldenmotorguard.com/cart/ind...a34f4682dd1488

Has anyone used it or know anything about it? Sounds like great oil for old flat tappet solid lifter cams..... :cheers:

knight37128 11-01-2009 01:18 AM

Psst, if you run a roller cam you don't have to worry about ZDDP's. :leaving:

StingU2 11-01-2009 01:30 AM

Summit Racing Oil

:nonod:

babbah 11-01-2009 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by knight37128 (Post 1572006470)

I have to worry ... I'm running a solid lifter cam.........:thumbs:

rustylugnuts 11-01-2009 03:06 AM

1200 to 1400 ppm of ZDDP is safe for non-roller, solid and hydraulic lifter camshafts, in stop & go everyday non-racing engines. Racing oil at 1800 ppm has better protection, but also has other properties that can do your engine more harm then good, when used in conventional every day engines.

Racing oil is very corrosive when used in a conventional engine. Remember racing engines have their oil changed every so many hours, when conventional engines have their oil changed every 2500 to 3500 or longer in miles! We would like to think our engines are race engines but they are two totally different animals all together. More ZDDP is not always better! When ZDDP level increases past 1400 ppm each higher amount increases lubrication properties, but also adds much more corrosive properties. The extra corrosion can etch into cylinder walls, as well as pistons etc, when misused! Racing oil was designed specifically for hi revving racing engines, that has the oil change every so many hours only!

There was a rather large article that ran for a week at the NCRS site, a few months back, covering this topic to it's extreme. Basically without writing three pages of information, this was the meat of the results in a nutshell.

rustylugnuts :thumbs:

snydes 11-01-2009 08:05 AM

I'm using the Summit/Spectro oil. I could probably get away with either Delo or Valvoline VR1 (which was my second choice), but I wanted to play it safe as far as the ZDDP. This is the first I heard about what rustylugnuts was stating, which is an interesting bit of info and certainly should be considered.

Steve

Corbrastang 11-01-2009 08:25 AM

I add one bottle of ZDDPlus per oil change-for the flat tappet cam cars.

http://search.eastwood.com/search?as...&p=Q&ts=custom

wmf62 11-01-2009 08:41 AM

ponder this then... if what RLN says is true, then would it be possible to just substitute, say, one quart of regular oil along with 4 or 5 quarts (as appropriate for your oil pan) of high ZDDP oil and therefore cut the total ZDDP content down to an acceptable level?

seems to be the reverse of what Cobrastang is doing....
Bill

1snake 11-01-2009 09:11 AM

I've used CI-4 or CJ-4 oil for the past 15 years and have had no problems. All my toys have flat tappet cams.
And Yes, too much (> 1400PPM) ZDDP is harmful.

Jim

firstgear 11-01-2009 10:12 AM

doesnt diesel motor oil protect the same?

Kensmith 11-01-2009 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by knight37128 (Post 1572006470)

I have a newly built 383 stroker with hydraulic roller cam and the engine builder recommends only Shell Rotella T non-synthetic. :thumbs:

babbah 11-01-2009 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Corbrastang (Post 1572007474)
I add one bottle of ZDDP per oil change-for the flat tappet cam cars.

http://search.eastwood.com/search?as...&p=Q&ts=custom

Cobrastang - What type of oil are you using - Brand Name - Type and weight? Thanks! :cheers:

babbah 11-01-2009 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by snydes (Post 1572007379)
I'm using the Summit/Spectro oil. I could probably get away with either Delo or Valvoline VR1 (which was my second choice), but I wanted to play it safe as far as the ZDDP. This is the first I heard about what rustylugnuts was stating, which is an interesting bit of info and certainly should be considered.

Steve

Which Summit oil are you using? There are like 5 types of racing oils. Thanks!

JohnZ 11-01-2009 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by firstgear (Post 1572008331)
doesnt diesel motor oil protect the same?

Yes. Any CI-4 or CJ-4 API-rated oil has adequate ZDDP/phosphorus to fully protect any OEM flat-tappet cam and lifters. If you have an aftermarket flat-tappet cam with Gonzo valve springs, that's a different ball game. :thumbs:

snydes 11-01-2009 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by babbah (Post 1572009237)
Which Summit oil are you using? There are like 5 types of racing oils. Thanks!

This is the one I am running now...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-MG10W40/
I don't care to run a synthetic, so I stick to the conventional flavors.

I just discussed this corrosive issue with the guy that turned me on to this oil. I DON'T KNOW AND AM NOT CLAIMING TO BE AN EXPERT, nor do I want to start another huge oil debate, I do however respect this individuals opinion on this oil matter. This guy is real wrapped up into oil chemistry, over the last 3 years he has put a lot of his own $$ into lab testing dozens upon dozens of different oils and has logged many hours speaking with the engineers and chemists at the various companies about different aspect of these various oils. He claims that from his discussions with these engineers/chemists that they are calling 2k ppm ZDDP the threshold where the corrosive nature becomes a concern.

Having said that, it seems accepted that 1300-1400ppm for a mild performance cam is adequate, and the Delo or Valvoline VR1 is up to the 1300ppm mark. So 1800ppm may just be a bit overkill for our engines anyhow unless you are running high spring rates.

I will say this, I would recommend that nobody gets too comfortable with any one particular oil as it seems a few of the ones that were considered to be adequate on the ZDDP have since lowered their levels to below the threshold of adequate protection for a performance flat tappet cam.

Sorry for stirring the pot :o
Steve

knight37128 11-01-2009 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by rustylugnuts (Post 1572006842)
1200 to 1400 ppm of ZDDP is safe for non-roller, solid and hydraulic lifter camshafts, in stop & go everyday non-racing engines. Racing oil at 1800 ppm has better protection, but also has other properties that can do your engine more harm then good, when used in conventional every day engines.

Racing oil is very corrosive when used in a conventional engine. Remember racing engines have their oil changed every so many hours, when conventional engines have their oil changed every 2500 to 3500 or longer in miles! We would like to think our engines are race engines but they are two totally different animals all together. More ZDDP is not always better! When ZDDP level increases past 1400 ppm each higher amount increases lubrication properties, but also adds much more corrosive properties. The extra corrosion can etch into cylinder walls, as well as pistons etc, when misused! Racing oil was designed specifically for hi revving racing engines, that has the oil change every so many hours only!

There was a rather large article that ran for a week at the NCRS site, a few months back, covering this topic to it's extreme. Basically without writing three pages of information, this was the meat of the results in a nutshell.

rustylugnuts :thumbs:

What are these "corrosive properties" you speak of? :toetap:

Corbrastang 11-01-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by babbah (Post 1572009219)
Cobrastang - What type of oil are you using - Brand Name - Type and weight? Thanks! :cheers:

Castrol 10W30
Here is the link to the ZDDPlus website. There are charts and information about zddp on the site.

http://www.zddplus.com/

babbah 11-01-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by snydes (Post 1572011371)
This is the one I am running now...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-MG10W40/
I don't care to run a synthetic, so I stick to the conventional flavors.

I just discussed this corrosive issue with the guy that turned me on to this oil. I DON'T KNOW AND AM NOT CLAIMING TO BE AN EXPERT, nor do I want to start another huge oil debate, I do however respect this individuals opinion on this oil matter. This guy is real wrapped up into oil chemistry, over the last 3 years he has put a lot of his own $$ into lab testing dozens upon dozens of different oils and has logged many hours speaking with the engineers and chemists at the various companies about different aspect of these various oils. He claims that from his discussions with these engineers/chemists that they are calling 2k ppm ZDDP the threshold where the corrosive nature becomes a concern.

Having said that, it seems accepted that 1300-1400ppm for a mild performance cam is adequate, and the Delo or Valvoline VR1 is up to the 1300ppm mark. So 1800ppm may just be a bit overkill for our engines anyhow unless you are running high spring rates.

I will say this, I would recommend that nobody gets too comfortable with any one particular oil as it seems a few of the ones that were considered to be adequate on the ZDDP have since lowered their levels to below the threshold of adequate protection for a performance flat tappet cam.

Sorry for stirring the pot :o
Steve

Steve - I also learned on another forum that the present Valvoline Racing VR1 oil has only 880 or so ZDDP! Nowhere close to their advertised 1300 levels. This oil was tested in 2 different independent labs and they both verified this.

This was why I started to look at the Summit Oil. I have a very radical cam and stout ("Gonzo") valve springs on my BBC (running perfect for many moons) and don't want to have the solid lifter cam go bad cuz of this issue.

Why did you switch? How do you like the Summit oil? Do you add anything to it?

Thanks for your response......:thumbs:

69ttop502 11-01-2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by babbah (Post 1572012808)
Steve - I also learned on another forum that the present Valvoline Racing VR1 oil has only 880 or so ZDDP! Nowhere close to their advertised 1300 levels. This oil was tested in 2 different independent labs and they both verified this.

This was why I started to look at the Summit Oil. I have a very radical cam and stout ("Gonzo") valve springs on my BBC (running perfect for many moons) and don't want to have the solid lifter cam go bad cuz of this issue.

This isn't true. If you got to the Chevelle site or Nova site , there are very recent tests of the VR1 where it tested right where they advertise. There are also tests of the Spectro oils, which tested very good as well. There are pages and pages of threads over there as well as on bobistheoilguy. Also of the new CJ4 diesel oils, Delo seems to have the highest zddp levels.

Bill

snydes 11-01-2009 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by babbah (Post 1572012808)

I switched because after considering the pros and cons of every option, all things considered, it just seemed like the best choice. I do not run any additives, for my cam the 1800ppm is overkill anyhow.

Steve