CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] What are the best valve springs (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2460701-what-are-the-best-valve-springs.html)

tricep 11-02-2009 03:41 PM

What are the best valve springs

for a 2002 Z06.

Are the current OEM's cool? Should I go with an HP company?

I just snapped my second spring in a year. I am having them replace them all. Car is under 100K extended mile warranty through the same folks that financed it.

David426 11-02-2009 06:05 PM

There have been issues with the OEM springs breaking and there is no way I would have them put back in.. Comp Cam 921 or Patriot springs... If you have the GM extended warranty they may not cover aftermarket springs and force you to stay with OEM springs. Dumb and Dumber

tricep 11-02-2009 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by David426 (Post 1572023143)
There have been issues with the OEM springs breaking and there is no way I would have them put back in.. Comp Cam 921 or Patriot springs... If you have the GM extended warranty they may not cover aftermarket springs and force you to stay with OEM springs. Dumb and Dumber

That looks like the direction they are going. I broke my first spring last November right at the beginning of the month just a block from my home.

Now, one year later I break another exactly one block from my work.

I guess I should just take it to a Tuner and have it done right and pay out of pocket.

Stupid. :(

Eddie 70 11-02-2009 09:30 PM

Just out of curiosity how many miles are on your vette? Is it your daily driver? What are your driving habits?

Mine is an 02 also and I drive mine every day and just passed 51k on mine. I am usually pretty easy on the car though as it is my DD and need it to be there for me. I have been thinking about getting the Patriots as that is what I put on the heads in my 70 LS conversion.

camotruK 11-02-2009 10:10 PM

you guys are over obsessed with going with a dual...stock cam isnt half as aggressive as the aftermarket parts...go with a nice behive single spring...I like the PAC 1518...TSP sells them at a good price and take up to 650 lift...drop in dont even gotta change valve seals...if you like comp products go with a 918...I did PAC 1518s stock rockers 7.425 pushrods and a 226 234 600 113+2 cam in my brothers car...this offers a nice driving quiet/stable valvetrain that will rev to the moon and last a long time....not saying duals are bad but they have their place...I run the PRC 675 lift spring setup to my specs on my more aggressive 235 243 624 624 111+3 LSL lobed cam 3pc pushrods heavier than stock rockers....so i need the extra spring pressures for my cam/valvetrain...using stock rockers and stock cam...no sense in running all that spring pressure...that single will work perfect...big upgrade from the stock springs as well plus when youre ready for a cam change thats one thing done on your list

camotruK 11-02-2009 10:11 PM

eddie...it doesnt matter how easy or hard you drive it...seems most of the failures are done at low speeds and rpms...they just happen

tricep 11-03-2009 01:31 AM

Yes, it is a daily driver. Just put 50K on it.

I take it EZ with the car. It is my second Vette. It gets a proper warmup, it is driven carefully until temp is up, oil changed regularly.

I am very familiar with the bulletin on the 2002 valve springs. Each time it happened, RPMs were low and I was very close to home.

I just want a good reliable set, I am not trying to increase performance or any of that other crap, I just want the valve springs to be as strong as the rest of the motor.

I was hoping that the current crop of OEM's would be better than the past, but they are probably not making current OEM's--they are probably from the same crap batch that the originals were.

I'll just take it to Rick at Synergy and have him fix it up the right way. My extended warranty is through the same folks that financed the car. Having an extended warranty through these people and their shop has its benefits. This isn't one of them. :ack:

NatB 11-03-2009 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by camotruK (Post 1572025997)
you guys are over obsessed with going with a dual...stock cam isnt half as aggressive as the aftermarket parts...go with a nice behive single spring...I like the PAC 1518...TSP sells them at a good price and take up to 650 lift...drop in dont even gotta change valve seals...if you like comp products go with a 918...I did PAC 1518s stock rockers 7.425 pushrods and a 226 234 600 113+2 cam in my brothers car...this offers a nice driving quiet/stable valvetrain that will rev to the moon and last a long time....not saying duals are bad but they have their place...I run the PRC 675 lift spring setup to my specs on my more aggressive 235 243 624 624 111+3 LSL lobed cam 3pc pushrods heavier than stock rockers....so i need the extra spring pressures for my cam/valvetrain...using stock rockers and stock cam...no sense in running all that spring pressure...that single will work perfect...big upgrade from the stock springs as well plus when youre ready for a cam change thats one thing done on your list

What do you suggest valve spring wise for a stock 2002 Z06 engine? I want reliable valve springs that are compatible if possible with the retainers and keys- a direct swap out.

Seems PAC 1518's or Comp 918's are recommended a lot? Someone recommended Comp 919's which are double springs.

Mainly - what will work best with the stock cam and head valvetrain?

camotruK 11-03-2009 08:16 AM

pac 1518 singles...no reason for any doubles on your stock cam...the 1518 PAC racing springs are badass...drop in replacement...works with stick valve seats, seals, retainers, locks....its as simple as it sounds...drop em in with your existing stuff and run it

Last C5 11-03-2009 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by camotruK (Post 1572028222)
pac 1518 singles...no reason for any doubles on your stock cam...the 1518 PAC racing springs are badass...drop in replacement...works with stick valve seats, seals, retainers, locks....its as simple as it sounds...drop em in with your existing stuff and run it

:iagree: PACs are probably the highest quality springs out there right now. :thumbs:

Z06 Pack 11-03-2009 12:38 PM

Need to put this on my to-do list.

Link for those interested.

http://www.pacracing.com/Street_Stri...Set_of_16.html

smknvette 11-03-2009 01:41 PM

Texas speed has the PAC 1518's for $179.99 i think. Im going to order them later this week. Havent had any problems but not wanting to take the risk.

Z06 Pack 11-03-2009 02:11 PM

How involved is the installation of these?

Diceman9 11-03-2009 02:50 PM

My concern is to get close to the stock spring weight. If it is higher more pressure on rockers, push rods, etc. Don't want to really over tax the rest of the system. But..... I WILL BE CHANGING THEM OUT.!!:smash::smash: Lost one.... don't want to loose another and possibly a engine :eek::eek::eek:

camotruK 11-03-2009 09:02 PM

if youre concerned about the added spring pressure flexing factory pushrods then install a hardened set for like 90 bux most places....the guy above mentioned TSP selling the PAC springs for 179 is correct...very good price and fast shipping...bought from them for years...as far as how involved doin springs is...with these being drop in replacements the job goes very quick...if you are curious you can check installed height with a tool but I wouldnt worry with 1518s and stock cam....get a compression kit from autozone for like 25 bux...use the compression hose, remove the shrader valve from that hose, screw in spark plug hole put 80+lbs of air in the cylinder with a compressor...that will allow you to change the intake and exhaust spring for 1 cylinder...get a spring compressor...they are easy to make if you want to make one...I have the specs had my dad make one for me which worked great utilizing a stud for the rocker arm bolt hole and this tool just acts as a lever....put the fork end over the retainer and crank down on the bolt...that will compress the spring/retainer while leaving the valve in the up position...remove the 2 locks and undo the bolt and the spring and retainer will come off....put new springs in crank down with fork end on spring and retainer put in locks unscrew and youre done...repeat 15 more times and youre done...ill post pics in a min

Z06 Pack 11-03-2009 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by camotruK (Post 1572035752)
if youre concerned about the added spring pressure flexing factory pushrods then install a hardened set for like 90 bux most places....the guy above mentioned TSP selling the PAC springs for 179 is correct...very good price and fast shipping...bought from them for years...as far as how involved doin springs is...with these being drop in replacements the job goes very quick...if you are curious you can check installed height with a tool but I wouldnt worry with 1518s and stock cam....get a compression kit from autozone for like 25 bux...use the compression hose, remove the shrader valve from that hose, screw in spark plug hole put 80+lbs of air in the cylinder with a compressor...that will allow you to change the intake and exhaust spring for 1 cylinder...get a spring compressor...they are easy to make if you want to make one...I have the specs had my dad make one for me which worked great utilizing a stud for the rocker arm bolt hole and this tool just acts as a lever....put the fork end over the retainer and crank down on the bolt...that will compress the spring/retainer while leaving the valve in the up position...remove the 2 locks and undo the bolt and the spring and retainer will come off....put new springs in crank down with fork end on spring and retainer put in locks unscrew and youre done...repeat 15 more times and youre done...ill post pics in a min

Great info, thanks man. :cheers:

camotruK 11-03-2009 09:08 PM

pic of me doing a springs swap with the crane tool...it does 2 springs at a time
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e010Medium.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e011Medium.jpg
the tool i speak of..easy to make or you can buy here for $32 shipped: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/tools-...available.html
http://i2.tinypic.com/t5qgt0.jpg

pics of my pimp 3pc 3/8" .065 wall manton pushrods
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...1244917600.jpg

Diceman9 11-04-2009 09:27 AM

What about the rockers..... just use the stock ones?

Z06 4 Me 11-04-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by camotruK (Post 1572028222)

I went with Dual springs just for the safety factor that if one breaks
I have a back up so it won't :flag:drop a valve.

Diceman9 11-04-2009 02:32 PM

how does the spring rate on the 1518 compare to the stock one? They may work now but later maybe a bent push rod or even a broke rocker. :eek: Very possible if they are a higher rate. :leaving: