CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] Best Brake pads? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2475125-best-brake-pads.html)

SSTG 11-24-2009 10:50 PM

Best Brake pads?

I did a search... but some say Hawks are good and some say they are bad, they'll warp your rotors. Whats the best pad for everyday use,and no dusting or as little as possible?

boblav 11-24-2009 11:59 PM

I just installed the ACDelco Ceramic pads, with the ACDelco drilled/slotted rotors, and my wheels stay clean now, its like night & day. Unbelievable difference. Highly recommended for street use.

Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com 11-25-2009 10:05 AM

Please check out the Carbotech bobcat 1521. :thumbs:

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

swollix 11-25-2009 10:15 AM

I enjoy my HAWK HPS, very little dust too.

JimbeauZ06 11-25-2009 11:10 AM

Whether Hawks are great or not, just like anything else, depends on which Hawk pad and what you're using them for. Based on how you said they would be used, I would not recommend any of the Hawk pads other than their Ceramic set.

If low dust is your top priority then any of the ceramic pads would be your best bet including Adam's Carbotechs and the Delcos mentioned above. NAPA & Pep Boys also offer reasonably priced, quality ceramic pads. There is a trade-off with ceramic pads and the reason they aren't recommended for track use is that they don't stop as well as other compounds.

For general day to day use, good stopping and low dust it's hard to beat the stock pads.

SSTG 11-25-2009 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06 (Post 1572233754)
Whether Hawks are great or not, just like anything else, depends on which Hawk pad and what you're using them for. Based on how you said they would be used, I would not recommend any of the Hawk pads other than their Ceramic set.

If low dust is your top priority then any of the ceramic pads would be your best bet including Adam's Carbotechs and the Delcos mentioned above. NAPA & Pep Boys also offer reasonably priced, quality ceramic pads. There is a trade-off with ceramic pads and the reason they aren't recommended for track use is that they don't stop as well as other compounds.

For general day to day use, good stopping and low dust it's hard to beat the stock pads.

Maybe mine aren't stock? They dust something stupid. Can I buy "stock" Z06 pads? Sorry to sound stupid...I just got my Z.

Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com 11-25-2009 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by SSTG (Post 1572236833)
Maybe mine aren't stock? They dust something stupid. Can I buy "stock" Z06 pads? Sorry to sound stupid...I just got my Z.

Sure, you can by the stock pads. They will dust :yesnod:

Stevo92z28 11-25-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06 (Post 1572233754)

That's only of course if you want to deal with the dust. Personally i would rather not trade off the excellent braking performance of the stock pads for some "less dust" ceramics. Believe me you will feel the difference...i love the initial bite of the z06 pads. They do reasonably well on the road course too, start to fade out toward the end of sessions for me. But they are great pads for a factory pad. :cheers:

63Corvette 11-25-2009 07:38 PM

Americans say: "I would rather have silent brakes......regardless of whether or not they stop"

Europeans say: "I would rather have brakes that STOP.....regardless of how they sound"

Americans also think that "good handling" means easy parallel parking!

Gene Culley 11-25-2009 08:44 PM

Many customers and friends have bought the ceramic pads from me. Everyone has their own favorites, but the ceramics seem to be very popular and the best bang for the buck.

||--Genuine GM C5 Ceramic Brake Pads--||

88909667 – Front ceramic pad kit
88909668 – Rear ceramic pad kit

Both front and rear ceramic pad kits 153.03 shipped.

Stevo92z28 11-25-2009 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 63Corvette (Post 1572238927)
Americans say: "I would rather have silent brakes......regardless of whether or not they stop"

Europeans say: "I would rather have brakes that STOP.....regardless of how they sound"

Americans also think that "good handling" means easy parallel parking!

The best brake pads are quite and have no dust right? :lol:

TheDingo 11-25-2009 09:40 PM

I want pads that are not only quiet but only emit dust that cleans my wheels as i drive and will bake pie for me.

JimbeauZ06 11-26-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Stevo92z28 (Post 1572238673)
That's only of course if you want to deal with the dust. Personally i would rather not trade off the excellent braking performance of the stock pads for some "less dust" ceramics. Believe me you will feel the difference...i love the initial bite of the z06 pads. They do reasonably well on the road course too, start to fade out toward the end of sessions for me. But they are great pads for a factory pad. :cheers:

I agree with you on the stopping part which is my priority and I guess "less dust" is relative. After running Hawk HP+ for a while anything else seems like not having dust. Those pads turned the whole side of the car black, not just the wheels. :D But excellent stopping power! Using DTC-70s now, most of us experiment at the track and I'll be starting next year with PFC to see how they work. Friends trying Cobalt and Carbotech but most experience is with Hawk.

02Z06clark 11-26-2009 11:25 AM

I've had excellent results with carbotech XP-10 & XP-8 at both the Glen and Pocono with no fade at all. :flag:

JKD 11-26-2009 12:23 PM

I've used Hawk pads on my past three vehicles. I like them a lot. However, there are many other great brands out there as well.

My1stONE 07-09-2018 10:17 PM

Brake Pads

Originally Posted by SSTG (Post 1572230213)
I did a search... but some say Hawks are good and some say they are bad, they'll warp your rotors. Whats the best pad for everyday use,and no dusting or as little as possible?

Brake pads. So it's safe to say that Ceramic Pads are the best for everyday driving. Little to no brake dust sounds great to me. I have tried different kinds of pads on different kinds of vechiels and I always seem to have too much dust which I'm constantly cleaning off my rims. I'm going to go to drilled and slotted rotor's with ceramic pads this fall when I'll be due for brakes. I'm looking forward to cleaning my rims a little less and having great brakes. I'll let you know when I do them and how they work out for me as everyone Drives different. Thanks for your advice and your time.

SSTG 07-09-2018 10:49 PM

Old thread but I just put Carbotech 1521 pads on my 2019 Z06.