CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   I just bought a new Civic instead of a used C6, opinions? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/2477631-i-just-bought-a-new-civic-instead-of-a-used-c6-opinions.html)

OffHeGoes 11-28-2009 11:54 PM

C6NRED 11-29-2009 12:01 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....you do know that this is the CORVETTE forum, right? Sorry to hear about your back though --- hope you are good as new very soon.
We had a 2007 Civic, loaded with everything but leather and nav. I loved that way that little car ran (gutless though it was) and it got 42 MPG on a good day. The engine revved willingly and right to the redline. The Civic is a very nice car, but you know darn well that you are asking us to compare a mouse to an elephant here (sorry -- it was the only thing that I could think of that would be more visual than the old "apples to oranges" statement). Congrats on the new car, but none of us here should even offer an opinion on your question....

DjCritterus 11-29-2009 12:02 AM

Do whatever make you and your budget happiest. But for the love of God, don't put a bookshelf wing on it or a chit-ton of stickers to display what audio system you have ready for somebody to steal. And forget the fart can exhaust. Other than that, get back into the vettes when you are ready :cheers:

Oh, and don't say, "But I make 50HP/cylinder." That's just asking to get slapped and then a mandatory slap for your mom. :yesnod:

:lol:

tmjvett2009 11-29-2009 12:02 AM

Move to Japan and enjoy:rofl:

DjCritterus 11-29-2009 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by OffHeGoes (Post 1572265496)
lol It's being built in Ohio :rofl:

Yeah, we care about that like that size of your carbon foot print :rolleyes:

:rofl:

ncvette_1FUNRIDE 11-29-2009 12:13 AM

Hondas are fine cars. I have had several and if you take care of them they will last forever. HOWEVER, it's not in the same class as a Corvette, not even close. IT is just good reliable transportation. I state the obvious.

Nikka 11-29-2009 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by C6NRED (Post 1572265482)
Hmmmmmmmmmmm....you do know that this is the CORVETTE forum, right? Sorry to hear about your back though --- hope you are good as new very soon.
Congrats on the new car, but none of us here should even offer an opinion on your question....

:iagree: Nikka

C6NRED 11-29-2009 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by OffHeGoes (Post 1572265563)
Yeah I know what forum I'm on lol. This was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for, someone who has owned/driven both cars and enjoyed both, thanks for being a vette guy and still giving the Civ the seal of approval :thumbs:

Glad I could help --- but I'd also rather be turning 1,600 RPM at 80 MPH than almost 4,000!.....the little engine that could really did spin up on the highway .........buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

BuckyThreadkiller 11-29-2009 12:26 AM

If the build and engineering of the Vette saved my life, I don't think I replace it with a Honda.

But that's just me. Enjoy your ride.

Vette_DD 11-29-2009 12:26 AM

Paragraphs sure would make it easier to read.

C6NRED 11-29-2009 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by OffHeGoes (Post 1572265599)
Considering doing an engine swap and dropping in an LS2, but I think that might void the warranty....

Somewhere over on YouTube, there is exactly that, believe it or not --- a Civic with a 'Vette engine in it....I'll see if the link is still there, I think he calls it the Civette.....

Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfR_Z...eature=related

RAT 11-29-2009 12:49 AM

Um, I'm sorry. :D

Did the Civic thing years ago. :thumbs:

2longbetweenVettes 11-29-2009 12:51 AM

My 08 Z51 coupe is now my daily driver, but it replaced a 2003 RSX Type S. The RSX is essentially a Civic with 200 HP and some other performance options. I love that car, not as much as the Vette, but definitely a solid machine that is fun to drive. The new Civic's are all good in my opinion, and I would take a look at the Si to get a bit more performance.

calmtgguy 11-29-2009 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by OffHeGoes (Post 1572265563)
Yeah I know what forum I'm on lol. This was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for, someone who has owned/driven both cars and enjoyed both, thanks for being a vette guy and still giving the Civ the seal of approval :thumbs:

My wife decided she wanted a 2007 Civic EX, I'm a Be American, Buy American kind of guy, but I couldn't find any reason not to buy it, so we did. She loves it, and like was said before, it gets close to 40 MPG. I'm a big guy, so I don't fit in the seats very well, the back is too narrow, but if you fit in it the Civic it will make a much better DD than a used Vette. You can't go wrong with a new Honda Civic, great choice. :thumbs: :cheers:

rm50 11-29-2009 01:38 AM

I am happy for you. I hope you and your Honda live happily ever after! :lol::lol:

WMark 11-29-2009 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by OffHeGoes (Post 1572265427)
Anyways, everyone here on the Corvette forum has been really helpful in the past and I'm just curious; what do you guys think about choosing a brand new fully loaded Civic (leather, Nav, XM, VSA/Traction) over a used C6 with ~30k miles (also loaded, coupe). The C6 would have cost me about 8 grand more, the warranty would expire 2 years sooner, and I know from experience that repairs are costly. Vette guys have good taste in cars, what do you guys think of the current Civic (coupe)? It's gonna be a daily driver/fun car for running errands and using for work. The vette would have been nice, hope I made the right decision.

You sound like a nice car guy, but you ARE on a Corvette C6 forum. Do what you gotta do, but I have issues with your post. Like, "I know from experience that repairs are costly." Yeah! If you crash it. Otherwise, Corvette maintenance costs are really low.

My other issue, in due respect, is... You have a financial decision to make, involving "apples to oranges" cars, and you are asking us to help you, and you want us to bless the Honda. That ain't what we're here for. Your call.

Good luck.

:cheers:

~Josh 11-29-2009 01:50 AM

Steak > Sushi

JayMack 11-29-2009 02:09 AM

Know what? We all had that same decision to make. Most of us chose Corvette. :D

Latch 11-29-2009 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by ~Joshua (Post 1572265922)
Steak > Sushi

:flag:

ssv3 11-29-2009 03:33 AM

Hey, whatever makes you happy. I'm sure in due time you'll be in a vette again. In the meantime, Hondas are mighty fine cars for DD's. I had a few myself after high school and on, changed the oil on them every 25k miles (true story) and they run like hell. Never had any of my hondas stall on me.