CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Refinish torn leather seats less than 25.00!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2482955-refinish-torn-leather-seats-less-than-25-00-a.html)

motorjunkie 12-06-2009 11:31 PM

Refinish torn leather seats less than 25.00!!!

The perforated leather seats had a big split and huge hole on the thigh supports and a separated seam on the drivers upper bolster. I patched them up and they look almost like new!!

I will try and post some pics.

I have done this before on other cars.

Go to your local junk yard and cut the leather off of a rear seat in 1 pc. It either needs to be a light color to dye or a dark color if your int is black or dark. Just try to find a similar color to your car if poss.I got mine free with other parts purchased. Pull a Part yards are the best.

Go to your local parts store and buy a can of Vinyl Fabric dye.(SATIN OR FLAT FINISH IS VERY IMPORTANT!! you don't want shiny seats)(Burgundy was an almost PERFECT match for my dark red int.)And one or two tubes of Vinyl repair adhesive. and some steel wool.

Then rub down the seats with steel wool to buff off any loose flakes and prep the surface for Dye. Measure the patched area and cut out of leather you got at the junk yard. Take the vinyl repair adhesive and coat the back of the leather patch. Try and cover the whole area to be patched from seam to seam if possible. Press the patch into place and rub into the surface of the damaged leather. In just a couple of minutes your patch will be dry enough to dye.

Mask off any areas you don't want to get dye on and begin to coat in light coats until the whole seat is covered. Alow to dry and you are done.. BARGAIN SEAT REPAIR!!!

This is a trick used for years on car lots. It Works.

CorvetteMike2024 12-07-2009 06:46 AM

seat repair

If I'm allowed to have an opinion here now :willy:

Thats a temporary fix at best. No long term solution. I have tried that before.

Corvette Mike

topgunvette 12-07-2009 07:04 AM

pix?

i think iggees are better temp fix. i through em on and well replacing my seats hasn't even been a priority anymore.

motorjunkie 12-07-2009 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004 (Post 1572350563)

Corvette Mike

While I cannot speak to your experiences here, I can say that I have done this before with great log lasting results. I will post some pictures today.

What are Iggees?

DavePlum 12-07-2009 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by motorjunkie (Post 1572351754)
While I cannot speak to your experiences here, I can say that I have done this before with great log lasting results. I will post some pictures today.

What are Iggees?

Iggees are a synthetic leather seat cover. I put them on my old worn out seats and I think they look & feel good.

I would think your "log" lasting results would stink :lol:

pologreen1 12-07-2009 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004 (Post 1572350563)

Corvette Mike

I am not sure more than one opinion is allowed here so....

:iagree: :leaving:

vertrx7 12-07-2009 08:33 PM

Wow, interesting. I would have expected to read this on an RX7 or Honda site. Not that the fix isn't economical and innovative, but doesn't a Corvette deserve better? My upholsterer, for instance, will insert a leather repair patch for about $40. As for dye and other repairs, try the tutorials on leatherique.com. Not a criticism, just surprising.

Innovative though!