CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   C6 and Lexus LS 460 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/2497938-c6-and-lexus-ls-460-a.html)

mrtoner 12-31-2009 10:29 AM

C6 and Lexus LS 460

Visited my son over the holiday, and drove his Lexus LS 460 [ 380 HP, 8 speed auto, etc. ] - $80K worth.....

Noticed a couple of things. While very comfortable and quiet, with lots of buttons, bells and whistles, I noticed the following:

- center bezel is plastic, finished in brushed aluminum - like the C6

- door panel covering is not real leather - feels/looks just like the C6

- rattle in header - 'popping top'?

- squeaky brakes - yup

- water leak in trunk

- different types of leather grain in the interior

- exhaust pipe rattle when going over bumps - hmmmm

Just observations - people on the C6 forum complain about these items, with " a $50K car shouldn't have these problems..." ....let alone a $80K one....

However, while he takes care of it, he considers the car an 'appliance' to get around in, so he is not that focused on little details like us 'anal' C6 owners....:D

I submit that when it comes right down to it, all cars have issues.

jschindler 12-31-2009 10:36 AM

I just got a new daily driver a couple of weeks ago - a 2010 Lexus GS350. It's a hell of a lot nicer car than the Corvette in terms of refinement and classy interior, HOWEVER, I'm not one complaining about the C6 interior either.

I think the C6 interior is pretty good. Sure, it could use some improvement - I haven't seen a perfect car yet. But I'm very satisfied with the C6 interior and I've had four of them. I've also done an 1100 mile day by myself in one of the C6's and was extremely comfortable in it.

Thanks for posting your thoughts!

CQRT 12-31-2009 10:47 AM

Wife has the Lexus ES that replaced her aging E320 . . .I drove the LS460 and thought it was as nice as anything I'd driven in the luxury car line - -and incredibly quiet. The price tag was the prohibiting factor and she really didn't want or need that large a car.

We enjoy the car and it's been trouble free in a year of ownership - - I'm suprised to hear the issues experienced in your son's car and would think the dealer would be all over that !

Meanwhile, we'll settle for it's little brother . . . .

Jakeross 12-31-2009 03:14 PM

My wife has a RX400h. It seems like Toyota is slipping in quality. Right after we got it found a spot on the body that was rusting. It has rattles and an odd noise from under the car when the wind blows hard. People complain about the plastic in Vettes, I think Lexus has just as much.

L82PC 12-31-2009 03:33 PM

:flag:

I think that says it all...

Bill Dearborn 12-31-2009 05:16 PM

It is more about perception than anything else. Change the brand identifiers on a new never seen before car so one that is made by Toyota has a GM brand on it and the one made by GM has a Toyota brand on it and then release it to the public and media. The one with the Toyota brand will get all sorts of comments and praise while the GM brand one will get nice try but not as nice. This is seen all the time in the so called reliability reports. Two cars that come down the same production line with everything identical except the front fascia and one gets lower ratings (e.g. Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vive). That is one of the reasons you can't trust the ratings in CR too much perception and not enough reality.

Bill

cell6ida 12-31-2009 05:23 PM

Had a 2005 LS430 (base model). It was VERY NICE. No complaints from that car!!!

peter pan 12-31-2009 05:28 PM

Toyota's are perfect, they never break or have recalls:D

iridelow 12-31-2009 05:54 PM

Sounds like he got a Lemon or needs to take it to the dealership. My wife has had 2 lexus' and both of them were rattle free and very nice for what they are! She now has a BMW 530i, not as smooth as the Lexus, but much more of a sport sedan. The vette is a sports car period! The interior is not where GM spends it's money on a vette. Everyone knows, you don't buy a vette for quite, smoothness, and luxury! Now if you want 400+hp and luxury, be ready to spend well over 100k!

jschindler 12-31-2009 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by iridelow (Post 1572599910)
Sounds like he got a Lemon or needs to take it to the dealership. My wife has had 2 lexus' and both of them were rattle free and very nice for what they are! She now has a BMW 530i, not as smooth as the Lexus, but much more of a sport sedan. The vette is a sports car period! The interior is not where GM spends it's money on a vette. Everyone knows, you don't buy a vette for quite, smoothness, and luxury! Now if you want 400+hp and luxury, be ready to spend well over 100k!

OMG, does Buzz (Raazor) know you have TWO BMW's??? :eek::lol:

Raazor 12-31-2009 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by iridelow (Post 1572599910)

You Nazi lovin SOB!!! :willy:

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1572600437)
OMG, does Buzz (Raazor) know you have TWO BMW's??? :eek::lol:

I do now!! :smash::smash::smash:

I've got an 07 IS350 and the car is incredible as far as fit and finish.

yes, it has orange peel.

yes, it's not perfect.

yes, it's slower than my vette.

I've had it three years and due to the economy, I'll keep it a spell longer. Never done anything to the car except change the oil. We don't have dealerships here for BMW, Mercedes, or even Lexus, however, I can take it to the Toyota dealer for recalls etc...

I hate to admit it, but I really like the looks of that new Buick. Not sure which one, but it's sharp and the interior is very nice. Just wish it had a little more hp. Might have to get one and TT it. :thumbs:

texvette2 12-31-2009 07:49 PM

GX 470 here not one problem in 4 years, no rattle, leak, squeak whatsoever. 2010
Rx350, Not an issue yet. when go in Lexus will kiss you all over. Try getting that
treatment from a chevy dealer even if a 60K vette

cthusker 12-31-2009 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by texvette2 (Post 1572601115)
GX 470 here not one problem in 4 years, no rattle, leak, squeak whatsoever. 2010
Rx350, Not an issue yet. when go in Lexus will kiss you all over. Try getting that

On another note I expect A&M to up hold the conference honor a little better than you did this season.. gezzzzzzz :eek::smash::rofl::rofl:

AORoads 12-31-2009 08:09 PM

Someone needs to take back their lex to get it fixed. That's not the norm.

Poppy's Vette 12-31-2009 08:14 PM

Bought a new Lexus GS300 back in the day (can't remember what year, maybe a 98'), loved it big time but the clear coat started to break down. Next to a new 2001 MB E350, loved the looks (black) but it had nothing but problems, all electrical. Two years ago we decided to be conservative and bought a new 2007 Camry, it never satisfied us. We were already too spoiled. We just picked up a new Crystal Red CTS and we really love it. I love the interior and the fit and finish. My only complaint is that there is virtually NO interior storage. The center console is unbelievably small as is the glove compartment and door pockets. But I'll certainly live with it.

FNBADAZ06 12-31-2009 10:37 PM

I own a '02 GS 430 and must admit it has been the best car I've ever owned (7 years of history). Fit and finish are second to none, utterly reliable and I wouldn't hesitate one bit on buying another. In fact, I'm looking at an IS-F (and a '09 CTS-V ) to possibly replace it but it's going to be difficult to part with it.

10mikeymike 01-01-2010 12:52 AM

I replaced an 06 LS430 with an 09 LS460L and will most likely continue to buy big Lexus cars as long as they produce them in RWD V8's. My C6 serves a different purpose and to be honest, I've really never compared it to the Lexus. I also have an 07 Yukon Denali and like the Lexus and the Vette, it serves a unique purpose for me. Sure, they all have plastic trim pieces here and there, but that's a fact of life in modern cars. I must be lucky, I drive them all and have never had any problems with any of them. They're all great cars and I wouldn't part with any of them except to get a newer model. The Lexus is beautifully built and rides like a dream. The Denali is a teriffic large SUV, but the Vette is a whole lot of car for the money and a lot of fun to drive. I enjoy them all.

Boomer111 01-01-2010 09:04 AM

I think Honda has taken over as the quality company. Toyota has slipped, not much but enough for Honda to be on top.

pTr73 01-01-2010 10:16 AM

Acura = Honda
Infiniti = Nissan
Lexus = Toyota

I am waiting for Kia & Hyundai to do the same thing and charge the consumer $80+ :rolleyes:

I buy american... If I want luxury i'd go with a caddy! Not a toyota, nissan or honda.

Wayne O 01-01-2010 10:54 AM

I agree...all cars have issues.

Originally Posted by texvette2 (Post 1572601115)

We all have different wants and expectations about dealership service and my Chevy dealer has always done fine by me...as good or better than other dealerships I've dealt with over the years. I don't expect a dealership to kiss my a$$ but I do expect professional, competent and honest service. I won't knock my local Chevy service department (the sales department is another story). ;)