CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Broken Clutch Pedal Spring (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2507440-broken-clutch-pedal-spring.html)

Mike27 01-14-2010 07:53 PM

Broken Clutch Pedal Spring

Today the Clutch Pedal Spring Broke. How much should this cost
at the Dealer to fix ? or is this a do it your self job 2007
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/patriot.gif

RicK T 01-14-2010 07:56 PM

It is a DIY. There has been much debate over whether to replace it at all or replace it with a C5 spring which many believe feels better. Here's a discussion for study: :)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...placement.html

Oh, I think they are between $6 and $10.

Mike27 01-14-2010 08:03 PM

Thank you "Rick T", I will go with the C5 and try and install it my self

SLVRC6 01-14-2010 10:16 PM

Dealer charges ~ $100.00 (I been there - my stupidity).

Wayne O 01-14-2010 10:59 PM

It only takes a few minutes to put a new spring in...I wouldn't take it to the dealership. IMO I'd stick to the OEM C6 clutch pedal return assist spring and not use the C5 spring. A replacement spring with incorrect torsion for the C6 could possibly cause premature clutch wear. Once you get the replacement spring, if you still have half the spring 'in the car' (which often happens) I'd get a flashlight and get down and look to see exactly how its installed...look to see where the replacement spring goes before you remove the broken half which is still in-place. I'd put a heavy pad or some blankets on the door sill as it helps to lay on your back to look up under the dash area. It's an easy fix...good luck.

The following link was with a C5 spring but it should help:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ing-in-c6.html

Here's a link to a thread discussing why its best to use a C6 clutch pedal return assist spring instead of the C5 spring:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ml?forum_id=74

AORoads 01-14-2010 11:06 PM

in the future, wayne is correct. it could become a warranty thing, too, whereby using the wrong spring is not the thing to do. you're talking about less than $10 for the spring as I recall. my suggestion is just use the one for the C6.

calemasters 01-15-2010 12:02 AM

Wayne is correct. I recommend replacing with the correct spring for your C6. It is important that the clutch pedal return to the full stop position. Otherwise, the compensation port can not exhaust.

Subject: Removal of the Clutch Over Center Spring

Models: 1997-2004 Chevrolet C5 Corvette

2005-2008 Chevrolet C6 Corvette

Equipped with a Manual Transmission

Condition/Concern:
It appears that some Corvette owners are removing or disconnecting the clutch over center spring on their vehicles.

This is not a recommended practice and customers should be advised of the implications of such an action.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The clutch master cylinder has a compensation port that is positioned within 1 MM of the top of the stroke. The compensation port allows internal pressure in the clutch hydraulic system to be exhausted into the master cylinder and also provides for system refill as the clutch disc wears.

One purpose of the over center spring is to return the clutch pedal to the very top of the stroke to expose the compensation port. The second purpose of the spring is to provide for the designed clutch pedal feel.

Removing or disconnecting the spring may allow the clutch pedal to hang in an at rest position with the piston short of the compensation port. If the internal pressure is not exhausted the CSC may get stroked too far and a clutch hydraulic system failure may result. The C5 clutch hydraulic systems were built by AP. The C6 systems were manufactured by FTE. Also, the pedal must be in the full up position, with the compensation port exposed, to bleed properly.

Anytime a dealer gets a hydraulic system complaint, the tech should inspect to insure that the spring is in place and properly connected. Related customer complaints might include poor shift performance, improper clutch release or transmission synchronizer damage.

Adis 01-15-2010 06:54 AM

Wayne O is right, i did this a few months ago and I remember lying there contorted on my back trying to figure out how to put the thing in for about an hour. eventually i realized that if you first put the outer tangs into their grommets, then disconnect the piston and push the pedal toward the firewall, the center tang on the spring slips in easy as pie. not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but it seems to have worked for me.

fast fred 01-15-2010 06:57 AM

Been there$12.00 ,done that,2 times and I think it might be happening agin

Jim Nebraska 01-15-2010 08:30 AM

May I offer up a "contrarian" view? My clutch spring broke as well. I ordered one from the dealer....cost around $11. I'm not a big person and am pretty handy with a wrench, but after 30 minutes,two scraped knuckles, a crick in my neck from being a contortionist and loads of profanity, I gave up. I was due for an oil change and the dealer popped in the spring at no charge. So, check with your dealer as to the cost....if you find, like I did, that this spring replacement thing was easier said than done.

Schoolteacher 01-15-2010 09:55 AM

11-13 bucks at the dealer, took 5-10 minutes to install, diy

CMY SIX 01-15-2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne O (Post 1572759227)
It only takes a few minutes to put a new spring in...I wouldn't take it to the dealership. IMO I'd stick to the OEM C6 clutch pedal return assist spring and not use the C5 spring. A replacement spring with incorrect torsion for the C6 could possibly cause premature clutch wear. Once you get the replacement spring, if you still have half the spring 'in the car' (which often happens) I'd get a flashlight and get down and look to see exactly how its installed...look to see where the replacement spring goes before you remove the broken half which is still in-place. I'd put a heavy pad or some blankets on the door sill as it helps to lay on your back to look up under the dash area. It's an easy fix...good luck.

The following link was with a C5 spring but it should help:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ing-in-c6.html

Here's a link to a thread discussing why its best to use a C6 clutch pedal return assist spring instead of the C5 spring:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ml?forum_id=74

lets see... being that the spring DOES'NT hold the pedal up, I doubt "tension" will matter, and because the C6 spring is thicker, I think this is causing them to break, he will only have to put another one in again! C5 spring:thumbs: much better feel!!!!

bassspring 01-15-2010 04:42 PM

If there are any vendors that would like to add this spring to their line I can make it out of the right alloy so that it will last about forever and the funny thing is it will cost about the same.

Vette_06 04-29-2010 01:00 PM

Ripped off again

I just had my broken spring replaced today fro $80.00.

When I went pick up the car they advised me of this cost which i thought would be covered since it is defective I was not happy. I told them if they would have informed me ahead of time that I had to pay $70.00 to install I would have done it myself?

cclive 04-29-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vette_06 (Post 1573916904)
I just had my broken spring replaced today fro $80.00.

When I went pick up the car they advised me of this cost which i thought would be covered since it is defective I was not happy. I told them if they would have informed me ahead of time that I had to pay $70.00 to install I would have done it myself?

No question that this was alot of money...but I would bet the labor book says 1 hour to put in the spring. If you still have the '06 car, why would you think the cost would be covered? Do you have an extended warranty? :bigears

KX 04-29-2010 02:01 PM

Go ahead and put in the C5 spring or another C6. Not going to hurt anything going with the C5 spring. The sky is not going to fall either!
I paid under $8 for the C5 spring, put in in myself in 2 minutes or less!
Oh, and do not under any circumstances remove the tag from your mattresses.....bad things will happen! Yeesh....!!

Vette_06 04-29-2010 04:07 PM

I have the GMPP with 200 deductible but I would have though GM would pay since they decided to use crappy metal springs?

Revving High 04-29-2010 04:26 PM

had mine replace from dealer under warranty. 2 min install

JohnRS 04-30-2010 01:04 AM

I replaced my spring with a C5 version before I hit 1000 miles (my original C6 spring is still intact and in my parts box) and got much improved clutch feel with no negative repercussions. Spring cost under $10 and I bought two spares (also in my parts box). Change took only a few minutes but I too recommend padding the door sill before you lay on it - saves a lot of pain.---John

xlr8rvette 04-30-2010 01:29 AM

Wow...thought I was on the C5 forum. Have 108k miles on C6 and never had clutch spring problem:thumbs:.....did have it once on C5 tho
:eek: If not on warranty its easy to replace