CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Anyone buy a Toyota Camry 2009 recently? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/2509529-anyone-buy-a-toyota-camry-2009-recently.html)

wardeworth 01-18-2010 05:53 AM

Anyone buy a Toyota Camry 2009 recently?

I haven't bought a new car in like seven years. Anyone buy a Toyota Camry 2009 recently? How did you go about negotiating a good deal? In the past, I would give the dealer a drive out price that I wanted and go from there. What about interest rates and rebates now-a-days? I am also thinking about getting a Honda Accord, but it seems like they don't advertise for 0.0% financing. In the past, Honda didn't seem to be flexible in negotiating also, not sure about now-a-days.Thanks.

Dave68 01-18-2010 10:21 AM

On another note, you might want to consider the hybrid version. The following came from Consumer Reports, not too long ago:

Six of the 12 hybrids CR experts looked at — Toyota Prius and hybrid versions of the Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Escape, Saturn Vue, and Toyota Camry — can save consumers about $500 to $4,250 even without tax credits, and pay back their price premium after only one year. For several of these hybrids, owners can save even more by taking advantage of federal tax credits.

CR experts compared the five-year owner costs of 12 hybrids with those of similar conventional vehicles using Consumer Reports’ new-car owner-cost estimates, introduced in the April 2008 issue.

The Toyota Camry hybrid, which gets 34 mpg overall in CR’s tests, saves the most money, about $4,250 over five years compared with a similarly equipped four-cylinder Toyota Camry XLE, which gets 24 mpg.
That's a hefty savings and gas prices are scheduled to rise by Summer.

runutzzzzz 01-18-2010 11:36 AM

I have a 09 Camry Hybrid I purchased in May 08 so I can't offer any advice on pricing but I can say that I will more than likely never own another Toyota...

I have owned some 16 cars in the past 6 years and have had the worst experience with Toyota.
Not only does the customer service suck (dealership and Toyota NA) the car squeaks and rattles! Interior parts are cheap and poor fitting. Leather is hard and they use different grains so the texture is different on the same seat!

The only thing good is that I get a AVG of 42-44 MPG with mostly HWY. 600-700 miles per tank is the norm.

These days your best bet is to E-Mail 5 local dealers for their lowest price OTD and go from there. They know since you are emailing that they are against other dealers too so they will be aggressive.

Have you looked at the Ford Fusion? I took a Fusion Hybrid out and it was way better than the Camry but it did not have the "push to start" so I figure I'm going to hold out until 11' since the Tauruses have that option.

Good luck!

Dave68 01-18-2010 03:40 PM

Unfortunately, every car manufacturer lets a lemon slip by, sooner or later. Based upon my perusal of quite a few Camry and Lexus forums, I'd say runut probably has a somewhat unique vehicle. Every person I know who has owned a Camry, whether gas or hybrid, has been very pleased with it.

I would advise the OP to check the Camry hybrid forums (There are quite a few out there.) before making a decision.

The Ford Fusion does get good reviews but it hasn't been out long enough to prove itself as a reliable vehicle, so I would pass on it for now.

runutzzzzz 01-18-2010 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dave68 (Post 1572797096)
Unfortunately, every car manufacturer lets a lemon slip by, sooner or later. Based upon my perusal of quite a few Camry and Lexus forums, I'd say runut probably has a somewhat unique vehicle. Every person I know who has owned a Camry, whether gas or hybrid, has been very pleased with it.

I would advise the OP to check the Camry hybrid forums (There are quite a few out there.) before making a decision.

The Ford Fusion does get good reviews but it hasn't been out long enough to prove itself as a reliable vehicle, so I would pass on it for now.

As much as I'd love to say I have a "rare" Camry :rofl: If you search the Toyota Camry forums, you'll find that almost all of them have squeaks and rattles from the dash to the doors to the rear deck...

It's not the fact that the car has these issues, it's the way that Toyota handles these issues.

jim2527 01-19-2010 07:46 PM

My '07 Camry Hybid has never beeen to the dealer for anything. I drive it, change the oil, drive it, change the oil.....

PeterK 01-20-2010 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz (Post 1572802464)
As much as I'd love to say I have a "rare" Camry :rofl: If you search the Toyota Camry forums, you'll find that almost all of them have squeaks and rattles from the dash to the doors to the rear deck...

It's not the fact that the car has these issues, it's the way that Toyota handles these issues.

I think squeaks and rattles are fairly "subjective" measures of the vehicle quality. I think every vehicle can produce odd noises given the road conditions are rough .

Personally, I'd hold the "unscheduled" dealer visit as a much truer measurement of the quality.

That being said, my 03 camry was by far the most reliable car I've owned needed absolutly nothing during 5 years of the ownership. It was also very easy to sell on the used car market and I got a premium for it.

I've driven an 09 camry SE for about a week, as a rental. I'd say it was very nice car. Quite sporty for a 4 banger and the 6 speed auto made it even smoother. The gas millage was very nice too.

runutzzzzz 01-20-2010 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by PeterK (Post 1572817681)
I think squeaks and rattles are fairly "subjective" measures of the vehicle quality. I think every vehicle can produce odd noises given the road conditions are rough .

Personally, I'd hold the "unscheduled" dealer visit as a much truer measurement of the quality.

That being said, my 03 camry was by far the most reliable car I've owned needed absolutly nothing during 5 years of the ownership. It was also very easy to sell on the used car market and I got a premium for it.

I've driven an 09 camry SE for about a week, as a rental. I'd say it was very nice car. Quite sporty for a 4 banger and the 6 speed auto made it even smoother. The gas millage was very nice too.

"It's not the fact that the car has these issues, it's the way that Toyota handles these issues."

PeterK 01-21-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz (Post 1572824329)
"It's not the fact that the car has these issues, it's the way that Toyota handles these issues."

Yes, I understand. But these things are generally very hard to deal with or to mend since nothing is really broken