CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Optima Battery (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2519484-optima-battery.html)

Michael Dowd 02-01-2010 12:30 PM

Optima Battery

I am looking to replace the current battery that I have in my 1990 corvette and wanted to go to an Optima. I cannot find a listing for it and was wondering if anyone has done it and what the size was that they used. I think that it is a group 78 and that P/N 8078-109 will work but am not sure. Thank you for the help.

FireRoc 02-01-2010 12:58 PM

We put an Optima Red Top in my wife's '94 Vette. You are right, there is no listing for an Optima battery as the top posts will not fit below the PCM. What we did was cut the negative top post (I think it was the negative post) off and it then fit really well.

If you go this route, I would strongly suggest you get the new Optima load tested BEFORE you cut the post. When we did this, the first Optima battery we got was deader than a door nail and would not take a charge. In other words, it was defective right out of the box.

With the cut post it was really an issue getting a replacement, but we finally did. When I got the second one, it was load tested, then we cut the post. It's been the car for about 3 years now.

redrose 02-01-2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by FireRoc (Post 1572949363)
We put an Optima Red Top in my wife's '94 Vette. It's been the car for about 3 years now.

superb...most folks around here have red/yellow tops until a week after the warranty expires (ONE year)

esham 02-01-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Dowd (Post 1572949051)
I am looking to replace the current battery that I have in my 1990 corvette and wanted to go to an Optima. I cannot find a listing for it and was wondering if anyone has done it and what the size was that they used. I think that it is a group 78 and that P/N 8078-109 will work but am not sure. Thank you for the help.

:thumbs:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi...Enthusiast.pdf

megtom2 02-01-2010 04:46 PM

When we bought our 89 Formula I put a red top in it. It died within 3 months and I returned it for a free replacement. It died after about 4 months. The third one croaked after 3 months. I took the third dead one to the local parts store and used it as a core for one of their batteries. 2 years later and it is still doing fine. The Formula has a high power amp and stereo and I have not had any problems. I think the optimas are a waste of money after my experience. JMO

jimg's'93 02-01-2010 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by megtom2 (Post 1572951870)
When we bought our 89 Formula I put a red top in it. It died within 3 months and I returned it for a free replacement. It died after about 4 months. The third one croaked after 3 months. I took the third dead one to the local parts store and used it as a core for one of their batteries. 2 years later and it is still doing fine. The Formula has a high power amp and stereo and I have not had any problems. I think the optimas are a waste of money after my experience. JMO

:iagree: I do not have any first-hand experience with the Optima, but I DO have (As does everyone else here no doubt) experience with traditional batteries and with the few odd exceptions in my case, I've had good experiences with them for fair pricing. I personally do not see the need to spend the $180 for a dry battery unless there's a specific need for it such as odd locations or extreme conditions.

Just my opinion ;)

HlhnEast 02-02-2010 08:58 AM

:iagree: Jim pretty much hit it right. There isnt a real advantage to spending that much money unless you have a specific need for its qualities. It is used mostly for 4X4s. It is vibration resistant, can be mounted sideways or even upside down.

I have a red top Optima and its about 4 years old. I bought it for a Jeep project. I ran it in my truck for a year while before using it in the project. I have run it down and charged it at least a dozen times. Yesterday it fell (4') off my truck :eek: and cracked the case on one corner. I will find out today how durable it really is.

As far as batteries go, its a good one but with other non-spirals being $70-80 cheaper, I wouldnt spend the extra money unless yer gonna mount it upside down on the roof :lol: With so many things you can buy for your car with your savings, buy a good conventional battery.

RollaMo-LT4 02-02-2010 09:46 AM

:iagree: I have go along with the last two.

A lot of times people having issues with dead batteries, or batteries not lasting very long, jump on the Optima band wagon thinking this is going to finally solve their battery issue.
Well, the truth is if your having battery issues (going dead, or not lasting very long) those same issues are still going to be present with the new Optima.

With everything working as it should, you should get 5 - 7 years (or even more sometimes) out of any good conventional battery.
The last battery I bought was in 2005, and it's still working just fine.

Michael Dowd 02-02-2010 12:36 PM

Thank you for the advise

I currently have an Optima battery in my Tahoe and have had good luck with it.
I appreciate both the positive and negative comments and have taken into consideration all of them.
I keep the Corvette on a trickle charger when I am not using it and have had issue with the cells breaking down and causing them to fail. My thoughts were that with a battery that does not have acid in it this will not be an issue. The added cost, although I can think of many things that I could add to the car, is not significant enough to make me think that it may not be worth it.
Thank you for all of your inputs.
I am new to this site and wish that I had found it a long time ago.

HlhnEast 02-05-2010 07:39 AM

I have also heard that the Optima can be ruined with some chargers. The only one I have ever used was a trickle charger. If you have one, check Optima's website first before charging.

jmgtp 02-05-2010 08:16 AM

I have a red top Optima in my Grand Prix. I went with it because the battery has been relocated to the trunk and I wanted a sealed unit back there. It is 3 years old and trickle charged in the winter. No problems so far.

I am considering one for the vette too since the non sealed battery in there has dripped acid all over the place. I've had really good luck with AC Delcos in the past, they seemed to last the longest for me. The only feature that really makes Optima attractive to me is that it is sealed. On the other hand I went with a cheap Duralast battery from Autozone for my Mazda and it cranks great even on 10 degree mornings!

TJM 02-05-2010 09:20 AM

I have a red top in my '89 mainly because I drive it to little and it seesm to live longer.

There is a model that works, you have to talk to someone with a pulse to get it.

AND YES cheap chargers will fry it, the warranty is three years [ ? maybe more??/] and I took mine "cooked" one in and they replaced is free after two years.

TJM

Mark85Vett 02-05-2010 09:25 AM

I put one of those yellow Walmart Maxx batteries in my C4 back in 2004. Then I let the car sit for 5 years collecting dust with no trickle charger or anything on it. This past fall I decided to get the car running again. I hooked the charger to it overnight, and it spun right over like it was a brand new battery. I believe I paid $75 for it 6 years ago:cool:

Flame Red 02-05-2010 11:24 AM

I Put an Optima red top in years ago when I relocated the battery to the storage compartment behind the passanger seat. Last year it finally died. I was shocked when I removed it to find the date on it was 10 years ago! Needless to say I put another Red Top Optima back in.

Before that, with traditional batteries, they would last 1.5 to 2 years tops.

Strick 02-05-2010 12:16 PM

Myself, I wouldn't put an Optma in a Vette. There is no advantage to them. A good Lead acid battery is all you need. I bought an AC Delco 7 years ago and kept a battery tender on it when she sits for more that a week, and it still works fine. I've been working at AutoZone for about 2 years now and I sell a lot of Duralast batteries. Our Gold seems to be the one as I never see them returned. If you need an Optima, there is a type with no top terminal, just side mounted terminals.

aklim 02-05-2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by esham (Post 1572951756)

Called Optima and they said they DO NOT have a direct fit one. Anyone know what part number that one is?

esham 02-06-2010 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1572997800)
Called Optima and they said they DO NOT have a direct fit one. Anyone know what part number that one is?

The one Mike Dowd was inquiring about is Optima part # 8078-109. It is the only one with the side only terminals. My dad recently installed the same one in his 1990 vette without any problems but the battery tray had been modified at the end of it by the previous owner. It still may work with an unmodified tray, but Im not sure. They sell them at Napa and Advance Auto. It was quite a bit cheaper at Advance Auto. My dad also has a 92 vette that he put a gel cell Sears battery in a few years ago that has worked fine and it is definitely a direct fit. I think the only reason he went with the Optima this time (instead of the Sears gel cell) is because the 90 is modified with a Lingenfelter 540 cu big block and he wanted a higher cold cranking amp battery.
Hope that helps.

mtwoolford 02-06-2010 02:45 PM

I don't have the optima part numbers, but on my 1996, these were the issues:

optima only makes one side post only battery (78 series ?), and it is just a bit too large to fit the stock battery tray;

all other optima batteries have both side and top terminals. The top terminal on the battery that will fit (75 series ?) is directly below, and quite close to, a metal brace, which is a negatively charged part of the chassis. should the positive terminal and this brace come into contact, there would be a direct short right across the battery.

one thought, when replacing the battery, inspect the vacumm lines near the battery; they will probably be deteriorated (mine were); and,

look and inspect the frame area below the battery tray for rust or corrosion; clean, treat, and paint as necessary (I had to).

coupeguy2001 02-06-2010 08:38 PM

I put a red top in the C5 4 years ago, and it just had a bad cell. I got it at Costco. They gave me 50% towards a new battery. I use the optima in it to keep the battery vapors from ruining a nice car.
I put one in the '57 about the same time. no problems whatsoever.
but I have a 100 amp alternator running headlights, parking lights, radio, synthesizer, brake and tail lights, MSD ignition, and heater motor, and charge the battery, about 45 amps or so. The starter is all the battery operates, really.
I have a corvette high torque starter in it, and I have had the hood open, and watched 3 fan blades go by then it starts.
That battery has kicked it over very reliably every time. no fumes eating the under hood paint either.
On the truck, I have a volt meter and an ammeter, so I know the load and the state of charge as well.

tpi 421 vette 02-06-2010 09:17 PM

I went thru 3 optima's in 2 years and will never use them again.