CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   1990 hard top (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2521169-1990-hard-top.html)

c69vete 02-03-2010 05:16 PM

1990 hard top

What mounting hardware would have come with a factory ordered hard top in 1990? I was talking vettes with a guy at the plant here and he said he recently unwrapped the hard top that came with his car.
(second owner) he said there appeared to be nothing to attach it to the car. A quick search with the vendors show a couple of formed brackets with a bunch of holes in them. Would those kind of things have come packed in the car somewhere? I think there should have been a wrench and a couple of bolts for the front. Thanks for any insgiht.

pologreen1 02-03-2010 07:00 PM

Brackets, maybe a ratchet, and a lot of bolts.
There are threads on them, but in the F/S section you could look at what people are selling or ask them.

c4cruiser 02-03-2010 07:54 PM

When the factory convertible hardtop was ordered with the car order, the car "should" have arrived with the hardtop installed. When the convertible came off the Assembly Line, it was delivered to American Sunroof Company which was located a few miles from the plant. Once the car was there, the company installed the top and made any final adjustments to the door glass to insure the windows would seal with either the hardtop or the soft top.

The company also insured that the hardtop window defogger worked properly. The hot wire was pulled out of the loom on the passenger side near the shoulder belt mounting bolt and plugged into the defogger wire on the hardtop. On the driver's side, the ground pigtail was attached to the other wire on the hardtop defogger wire.

The items that came with RPO CC2 (besides the top) were the two steel mounting brackets and a total of 10 bolts. Eight of these bolts were the same size and two others had smaller washers. There was a small ratchet with a Torx T-40 bit which was the same one that the coupes got for the targa top. There was also a small 8mm box-end ratchet used for the two encapsulated bolts in the rear hardtop locating pins. Both ratchets were in a small vinyl bag.

There was also a fiberboard cover that slid over the top of the convertible decklid to protect the paint. Finally there was a folded sheet that had instructions for the hardtop install and removal.

c69vete 02-03-2010 09:03 PM

Great. Thats the kind of info I was hoping for. :cheers:
So now would someone happen to still have that instruction sheet they could post or maybe e-mail a copy? Thanks

c4cruiser 02-03-2010 09:52 PM

Here's the GM Install instructions:

Gmorgan 02-04-2010 11:51 AM

my boyfriend is rebuilding a '90 c4 but he wants different tires/rims (doesn't want to put the original model types on). I wanted to get the new ones for him. What kind would go on without ruining the model?

pologreen1 02-04-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gmorgan (Post 1572984004)
my boyfriend is rebuilding a '90 c4 but he wants different tires/rims (doesn't want to put the original model types on). I wanted to get the new ones for him. What kind would go on without ruining the model?

You have to start your own thread or you are considered a hijacker or a troll.

c69vete 02-04-2010 02:28 PM

Thanks c4cruiser. Just another reason why this forum rocks.:thumbs:

90c4convetible 02-04-2010 06:06 PM

I was told that a hardtop was not a factory option for the corvette in 1990.

c69vete 02-04-2010 06:55 PM

I don't know about that but the owner of the car I'm asking for has the window sticker and the hard top is listed on there.

Old87owner 02-04-2010 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by 90c4convetible (Post 1572988481)

While it may not be listed, it is possible that the Corvette Folks just continued using stock they had on hand. When they ran out, no more hardtops. I know it has happened in the past, and probably will in the future.

But no matter what, Any Corvette is cool .

ynk1121 02-04-2010 08:20 PM

Every hardtop came with
-10 bolts (On each side 3 bolts hold the bracket to the car and 2 bolts hold the hardtop to the bracket.)
-2 brackets
-torx ratchet
-ratcheting wrench
-deck lid cover

The hardtop is held down by 14 bolts. On top of the 10 bolts mentioned above, 2 are built into the windshield and 2 are built into the rear of the hardtop.

c4cruiser 02-04-2010 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by 90c4convetible (Post 1572988481)

In 1990 there were 2,371 'verts that got the RPO CC2 hardtop at a cost of $1995.00

The hardtop could also be ordered as a dealer installed option. But the dealer would have had to deal with modifying the HVAC system controls to get the rear window defogger to work properly.