CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Why did it have to be a big block (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/2522171-why-did-it-have-to-be-a-big-block.html)

thatcorvetteguy 02-04-2010 11:16 PM

Why did it have to be a big block

It's a real pain to find all the small parts to restore this 68. If it had been a small block instead of a big block with tri power and TI I could have walked away form it.

Procrastination Racing 02-04-2010 11:32 PM

Your perspective is all wrong. It isn't a pain to look for parts, it is the thrill of the chase.

Of course, it used to be more fun, in that going to the swap meets was half the fun. You got to socialize with other Corvette owners, you had the thrill of the chase searching for parts, and the bigger thrill of finding an illusive part or the part you needed to solve an issue.

Today, you just pull out a catalog or keep an active search on eBay or Craigslist. The Paypal the seller and it is over.

Magnet 02-05-2010 12:12 AM

A fellow corvette enthusiast I know just finished restoring a 68 4 spd convertible green with the white top...his search for parts too was challenging as there are approximately 155 parts solely specific to the 68 model. I was surprised that they made so many small changes between the 68 and 69. Being a member of the CorvetteForum is a great way to start and very resourceful.

thatcorvetteguy 02-05-2010 12:21 AM

I'll see the restoration though to the finish because it's a great car, but what a pain. It's red with black, both tops, 427 four spd. I wish it had AC. I have restored F & A body cars and there are a lot easier then this Y body.

damoroso 02-05-2010 09:13 AM

If it'd been a small block, you probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place....besides if it were easy, anybody could do it...

MrJlr 02-05-2010 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by damoroso (Post 1572994472)
If it'd been a small block, you probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place....besides if it were easy, anybody could do it...

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Easy Mike 02-05-2010 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by thatcorvetteguy (Post 1572992071)
...If it had been a small block... I could have walked away form it....

I didn't walk away from mine.

:)

Faster Rat 02-05-2010 08:52 PM

I once complained about "going DOWN that slippery slope" before starting my first and only restoration. Someone said to me "why does it have to be DOWN...why can't you be going UP that slope?" Helped my attitude, but not my pocketbook.

spinadog 02-05-2010 10:55 PM

You know why you persist. Think of the end result:
- When you can stomp on it at most any RPM and get pushed in the back.
- When you accidentally take off in 4th gear with no problems.
- When it makes small children cry and grown men gasp with admiration.
- that stupid grin it puts on your face (and that of your passenger).

Since finishing mine, I have actually gotten a little bored....I enjoyed chasing down parts and the whole refurbishing process.

427SIXPACK 02-06-2010 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1572997285)
I didn't walk away from mine.

:)

me either..............!!!

BB is the only way to FLY :D

mrvette 02-06-2010 08:26 PM

Engine size is not important, IMO...neither is keeping it original....

but take that as an INclusive statement, which gives you the freedom to do it YOUR way...

go nutz...or relax and follow the 'blueprint'.....:smash::smash::thumbs:

corvetteload 02-08-2010 07:40 AM

In my case, I like searching down the parts, but once that is done I lose interest.......................That's why the garage is full of NOS and rare parts, but the 69 sits.......................