CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   No more Eagle F1 GS D3's in 275/40 ZR18 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2534023-no-more-eagle-f1-gs-d3s-in-275-40-zr18.html)

markviii 02-22-2010 10:55 AM

No more Eagle F1 GS D3's in 275/40 ZR18

I just got off the phone with Goodyear. They are no longer making the Eagle F1 GS D3 in 275/40 ZR18 size. :( They have no comparable replacement for this tire coming out either (in this size). This is at least according to the Goodyear rep I talked to. You can still buy the last ones from Tirerack and such.

I just started researching tires and was leaning towards these based on all the positive posts on here regarding them. Not anymore :( You can still buy them, but if I get a flat, or wreck the tire down the road, I won't be able to replace it.

Also, I'm not one of the lucky ones that never gets flat tires. I've already had 1 on my vette and have only driven it 14k miles.

Now what tires should I get?

Ken

Jet-Jock 02-22-2010 11:11 AM

Yeah they wouldn't spill the beans anyway if they do have something coming out.

Unless they are so ticked off at Chevy for going Michelin both for the ZR1 and for its racing team, I cannot imagine them behaving that childish and just not develop a newer generation tire for the application. But then it's all guesswork at this point.

So the question is, you seem focused on the D3 which for this application was a non-runflat. Is that still a requirement for tire choice, a non-runflat?

markviii 02-22-2010 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock (Post 1573187902)
Yeah they wouldn't spill the beans anyway if they do have something coming out.

Unless they are so ticked off at Chevy for going Michelin both for the ZR1 and for its racing team, I cannot imagine them behaving that childish and just not develop a newer generation tire for the application. But then it's all guesswork at this point.

So the question is, you seem focused on the D3 which for this application was a non-runflat. Is that still a requirement for tire choice, a non-runflat?

I'm up for either, run-flat or non-run flat. Everyone here seem to bash the stock EMT's, so maybe not them? I don't want cheap tires, but I'd like to keep the price around $1k.

I'm guessing the Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Seasons aren't great for Vettes.........I couldn't find any posts on them?

Ken

Ghost Vette 02-22-2010 11:42 AM

Eagles F1 GS

I just got a set put on last week from my Goodyear dealer. A real PIA to get them. Two came from S.C. one from AL and one on Ohio. I would have gone a different way except I was only going to replace the front tires which were wearing inside, so he got them with some amount of trouble. I didn't want to stick him with those two after all the work he put into finding them, so I had him to search for the two 18's finally got them after a week of looking. I guess I got all that were left.

4 KRUSIN 02-22-2010 12:11 PM

I had a flat on one of my 18's a couple of years ago and found it very difficult to get one then. GY offered to replace the entire set with comparable size RF's after adjusting for tread wear. I decided to keep the D3's even with a plug in one.

I finally got one about a year later. I really like these tires, but will have to find a suitable replacement next time.

Jet-Jock 02-22-2010 12:37 PM

I would suspect the complaints on the F1 Eagle EMTs is based on half to fully worn out tires. I don't think the complaints would be there on new tires or through about half life span. That happens with all UHP and MP tires, once you get through about half way they get hard, loud and suck for traction.

Michelin has good tires, you can look at Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZPs which are very good but will run you about 1300. You can look at Pilot Sport PS2 both standard and ZPs the non ZP should be in that price range, the ZP version will be closer to 1450. The F1 Eagle EMT will be around 1350.

Then you can start looking at other non-runflat UHP tires. Tire Rack or Discount Tire websites will give you all the matching sets for your year model. Then start the compare.

tsts 02-22-2010 01:14 PM

Seems like Goodyear is not too concerned about leaving a void for corvette owners by not making this tire anymore (or a like replacement). If they are still making the D3's in the runflat type, maybe they figure they will cash in on the popular D3 tread design and push the market up to the more expensive runflat D3 by removing the less expensive regular D3. (ain't happening).

Since Goodyear does not make the larger C5-Z06 sizes in a D3 anyway, I'm going to Toyo Prozy TQ's. May not last as long but I'll have good traction along the way.

Vetteman Jack 02-22-2010 01:53 PM

If you are open to runflats, try the Firestone Firehawks. I ran them on my '00 and loved them. If I replace my current ones with runflats, they will be Firestones. There are a lot of non-runflat tires out there that you could choose from - Michelin Pilot Sports, BF Goodrich, Firestone.

markviii 02-22-2010 03:22 PM

Now I'm leaning back towards Goodyear run flats?!

Are all the Michelin options skinny tires, meaning skinnier than the rims? I don't like that look at all. I found a lot of post saying this. Anybody have pics of this? I also don't like that the PS2's seem to have bad wet traction after they are broken in. I don't drive normally in the rain, but certainly don't want a tire that can't. I drove in the rain at the Kerbeck Atlantic City Toys-4-Tots drive, and I don't want to miss something like that because my tires don't work in the rain. Also, the tread ratings are low on all of these as wheel.

I don't care about noise if that is one of the GY EMT's problem, I have headers and exhaust, I can't hear any road noise from the tires :)

:willy:

The Firestone's look good, but they are the most expensive by far :(

Who knew picking tires would be this hard!!

Ken

Jet-Jock 02-22-2010 06:44 PM

Opinons about tires runs far and wide.

Yes the Pilot Sport A/S ZPs do have a slightly narrow profile when viewed from the rear, but I don't think its something too obvious. But yes side by side with the OEM tire they do appear slightly narrow.

From my experience on my '01 vert, at 14K on the original OEM tire, I wasn't that comfortable with them as they were getting a little loose on wet roads and seem to trammel the road surface occasionally. So I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs. They were great tires... until I got around 20K on them. The rear's went fast seemed like over night they went from marginal to showing cords. I had to replace them in advance of the fronts. Another 2K on the fronts and they were replaced. I replaced them both with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZPs. The newer generation tire (PLUS) was suppose to fix the short wear life. The new tire has a 500 wear rating. I think I'm sitting at 18K now on the rear and 16K on the front (I'd have to run out and pull the paperwork to be exactly sure and will correct my post if I am.) but I'm not impressed with the way the rear's are wearing. No I'm not hard on tires, and I don't burn or chirp the rears. But looking at these rear tires they don't look anything like the wear of the fronts with a 2K difference. I am seriously doubting the rears will make it much more than another 4-5K. The fronts may very well go much further but hard to predict just yet. I don't know how Michelin handles a warranty for premature wear, but having gone from an advocate for them, I'm now more riding the fence on them.

I've also read where other owners get 25-30K on their OEM Eagles. That's pretty good for a UHP tire.

I wasn't aware the PS2 was getting a bad report on wet traction. According to them they are suppose to be pretty good on wet surface. They have an AA rating on traction but it's important to note.

"UTQG Traction Grades are based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across the specified test surfaces. The UTQG traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance."

While comparing PS2 ZP and F1 GS EMT, the latter gets a 300 wear rating over the PS2's 220. Both have an AA traction rating.

While I share your frustration, I'm not sure anyone has the perfect cut and dried answer.

And likewise after two sets of A/S ZPs I'm leaning back to F1 GS EMTs. Yes I will admit I do like the little wider profile look, and I have not had a set brand new to compare against. I took over mine at 13K.

Some people feel that the OEM EMT doesn't telegraph well and when pushed they break quick un-predictable. I might go as far to say the term feel may be a little mild. I just cannot say as I have no time with hands on experience with them when they are new. But from A/S ZP, PS2 ZP, and F1 GS EMTs they are all within a few hundred dollars of each other.

While I was at the dealer last week getting some service done, I starred long at a new set of F1 GS EMTs in the display rack. I have to admit that tire just has a great look to it.

Toys-4-Tots run, man that would be a sweet ride, I've watched many of the youtube videos on that run. Very cool.

If you are talking about the Firehawk SZ50 it looks a lot like the A/S ZP. And yeah the most expensive.

I'm with you, why is it such a PITA to choose a tire. Historically, Goodyear has been the tire for Corvette. So I'm not sure how much help I'd be because I too am giving great consideration to go back to the tire Chevy put on the vehicle. (At least we have lots of choices for the C5, C6 Z06 only has a couple choices - none of them cheap either.)

So, if you do go back to the GY F1 GS EMT, let us know how they are. I'd sure like to drive on a new set to test, but you can't just try out tires! LOL

ALLEGRO 02-22-2010 07:03 PM

I chose Firestone Wide Ovals in Z06 sizes, and new deep-dish 06 Z06 wheels.

I am very pleased with the non runflat tires, very different ride and handling.....all for the better. Say good-bye to "bump steer" forever.

Good Luck with your choice.

Patman 02-22-2010 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by markviii (Post 1573188022)

I'm guessing the Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Seasons aren't great for Vettes.........I couldn't find any posts on them?

I have the F1 all seasons on my C5 and I love them! Mine is a year round daily driver, so it does see the occasional light snow and these tires work very well in the white stuff, but yet still perform extremely well in the dry also.

Jet-Jock 02-22-2010 10:04 PM

Just saw the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW and that tire tread pattern looks very close to the Eagle F1 GS EMT. Of course the T/A is a non-runflat.

Anyone have any experience with the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW?

Dave68 02-22-2010 11:14 PM

I just bought a set of GSD3 245/45/17s for the front. Discount Tire had them in 2 days. They are the best tires I've ever had and made in the USA. Yuh think GSD4s are on the way? I sure hope so.

Dave68 02-22-2010 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock (Post 1573195681)
Just saw the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW and that tire tread pattern looks very close to the Eagle F1 GS EMT. Of course the T/A is a non-runflat.

Anyone have any experience with the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW?

The KDWs are dangerous on wet roads but the KDW 2s are very good. They ARE noisier than most other tires in this class, but I guess a loud exhaust and/or stereo would take care of that.

Little known fact: The GSD3s have been tested by an independent lab and were the longest-wearing of almost all high or low end UHP tires.

Jet-Jock 02-23-2010 07:10 PM

I don't think it said anything about KDW 2's so you are probably right but they sure have a identical tread pattern of the F1 GS EMT.

LT1driver 02-23-2010 10:36 PM

had the same problem with a fusion ZRi, they quit making them and I need one to replace one with nail outside tread, tirerack has a few left so I will go that route and be sol next time:ack:

markviii 03-16-2010 01:51 PM

Tire Rack doesn't have any GS D3's in 275/40R18, they are officially out. I was thinking of maybe snagging 5 tires (one spare for the rear) if they really discounted them. I just called today and they are all gone.

Now I'm back to leaning towards Goodyear runflats as my replacements.

I'm taking my car out of storage in a month or so...........gotta make my decision soon!

Does anybody have a pic of how "skinny" the Michelin PS2's look on stock rims (I can't find a good stock size pic by searching)? The tread rating and the skinny tire look is what is deterring me from these tires.

Ken

Jet-Jock 03-16-2010 01:59 PM

This may help. This is a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP (not the plus model but you can't tell the different except on the sidewall.) This was a shot when it was brand new.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=48386

JimZRyd 03-16-2010 07:43 PM

I also have the GS-D3's and have been very pleased. Looks great, rides smooth and quiet, and handles very well. Really wish GY had made a bigger range of sizes though. Maybe if they come out with a replacement they will.:flag: