CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Clicking while turning (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2544466-clicking-while-turning.html)

SeanME 03-08-2010 01:41 PM

Clicking while turning

Ive been racking my brain and I need some inputs. When at a dead stop, if i fully turn my wheels in either direction and start moving I get a clunking. It is the same sound I had on my truck when i turned the wheel all the way but that was the oversized tires rubbing against the bumper. Ive checked every which way from sunday if that was the case on my c5 but there is no rubbing at all. Any guesses on what might be making this noise? Accompanied by the noise is a small shaking as if something is catching and letting go. Thanks in advance for the input.

jraschke11 03-08-2010 02:39 PM

I have that same problem, and have never remembered to post and ask.

I have stock wheels and tires on my 2002 Z06. It really sounds like I am rubbing with oversize tires or something, but I can't ever figure it out.

memphis_vette 03-08-2010 02:41 PM

have you checked all of your suspension components? i have creaking sounds when going into drive ways or steep turning. but my suspention is just worn out

SeanME 03-08-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by memphis_vette (Post 1573349049)
have you checked all of your suspension components? i have creaking sounds when going into drive ways or steep turning. but my suspention is just worn out

That is the next step. I am going to throw it on a lift and check it out. Any suggestions on where to start?

Cirrus8 03-08-2010 03:35 PM

If you have not changed your diff fluid in the last 20k miles, it may be your limited slip system complaining. Changing the fluid with limited slip additive will fix the problem. :cheers:

SeanME 03-08-2010 03:39 PM

the clunking is in the front end. I havent changed my diff fluid in about 23k miles but i dont see how that would effect a noise in the front end (unless my ears are deceiving me). I thought only a locked axle clunks like that (unloads) as well. Every 20k seems a bit too frequent to change diff fluid

webelo 03-08-2010 05:53 PM

I think I have the same thing going on that you are describing, although mine only seems to happen when I turn the wheel all the way to the left. It sounds and feels like a combination between a clunk and a click. The frequency of the noise and the speed of the car are in correlation.

Any thoughts?

I have an 2000 A4 Coupe with 82,000 if it helps.

Stock Man 03-08-2010 06:04 PM

Well this is a good thread! I have the same problem and also have never posted the problem. Also it only happens when I turn left and have the wheel well over to the left. So that doesn't happen very often so I haven't paid much attention to it. So if someone comes up with the answer that would be great. I was wondering if the tire is contacting the harness to my shocks. The noise is coming from the passenger's side front on my car. I was lucky enough to have someone on the street help me out in locating the area. I have the adjustable suspension. :D

Chevy-SS 03-08-2010 10:01 PM

I get noises sometimes too....................

-

Stomp'N'Go 03-08-2010 10:26 PM

Here is part of a private message from forum member JetJock. I've had the same issue and have yet to check it out but this was his problem and how it got fixed..

Well here's what the problem was, corrosion inside the wheel to the hub had caused the wheel not to mount correctly. They removed and cleaned both the posts and the wheel up, test drive problem solved. And the clicking was loud the mechanic took it for a few circles a couple hundred feet away in their parking area and you could hear it. He went ahead and pulled the other wheel and cleaned it up too, and retorqued the wheels.

They have a corvette specialized area only assigned well experience vette guys work in that shop it is located from the general bays. Pretty cool that they treat the vette so special. They invited me back to talk to the chief mechanic, he showed on the lift everything was tight and solid so there wasn't a mechanical problem. Did a test on the steering rack it was good. So he then pull the wheels to check and found it.

So how unusual. Anyway they didn't charge me and he had it for about 2 hrs. Pretty cool.

dlivewyer 03-08-2010 11:31 PM

Interesting. :bigears

webelo 03-10-2010 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stomp'N'Go (Post 1573355033)
Here is part of a private message from forum member JetJock. I've had the same issue and have yet to check it out but this was his problem and how it got fixed..

Well here's what the problem was, corrosion inside the wheel to the hub had caused the wheel not to mount correctly. They removed and cleaned both the posts and the wheel up, test drive problem solved. And the clicking was loud the mechanic took it for a few circles a couple hundred feet away in their parking area and you could hear it. He went ahead and pulled the other wheel and cleaned it up too, and retorqued the wheels.

They have a corvette specialized area only assigned well experience vette guys work in that shop it is located from the general bays. Pretty cool that they treat the vette so special. They invited me back to talk to the chief mechanic, he showed on the lift everything was tight and solid so there wasn't a mechanical problem. Did a test on the steering rack it was good. So he then pull the wheels to check and found it.

So how unusual. Anyway they didn't charge me and he had it for about 2 hrs. Pretty cool.

Is this the final solution?

waunavet 03-10-2010 09:59 PM

Take off the bushings holding the front sway bar and 'lube' them with anti seize compound. I had the same noise on my '99 coupe.

Jet-Jock 03-10-2010 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stomp'N'Go (Post 1573355033)

Thanks for digging this one up.

Yep I thought I had major problems, I couldn't believe it was so simple. Now I plan to pull the wheels myself every 6 months and just clean them up, re-install and re-torque them.

Also for those who develop the clunking or ticking sound coming from the rear. Many suspect it is the CV joints or worst, not so, most of the time you just need to remove the spindle nut, bump the shaft in slightly clean up the corrosion and add a motorcycle chain lubricant. Re-assemble and re-torque and presto your noise is gone.

Here's a good post with pictures and procedures to correct the rear spindle clunking. (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-bearings.html)
(Some folks say you need to install a new spindle nut, but the FSM does not say this. The nut is made with interference and trust me it isn't moving once torqued.)

Jet-Jock 03-10-2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by webelo (Post 1573375617)
Is this the final solution?

Absolutely. :thumbs:

I was skeptical myself, but it's been at least six months now and has not returned.