CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   05 Power top won't close all the way (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2547492-05-power-top-wont-close-all-the-way.html)

PR4424 03-12-2010 09:17 AM

05 Power top won't close all the way

So last night I drove to my hockey game with the top down and when I got there the top wouldn't close completely. It looked like it was going to close, the top would get about 8" from the windshield but then would go back down (as if I was putting the top down) until it was in the up right position.

I tried shutting the car off several times, indexing the windows and putting the top up and down numerous times. I eventually drove to a GM dealer where service was closed (I was hoping I could find a salesman who knows about verts). Well, I showed him what was happening then he went in to ask his manager for help and when we went back outside to show him it worked.

This happened once before but after trying to open and close it once or twice it closed properly.

Has this ever happened to anybody?

Justasheet 03-12-2010 10:43 AM

Did you get any messages about the partition?

PR4424 03-12-2010 01:04 PM

No, there were no messages except saying the top wasn't secure (not closed).

Any ideas?

cclive 03-12-2010 01:11 PM

I am thinking one of the limit switches...the top doesn't know that it is in that 'almost closed' position.:thumbs:

brimee 03-12-2010 03:38 PM

It sounds like the switch you hold in for the top to go up is bad and shorts the other way for down, dunno, maybe...

If it happens at the same position, 8 inches from the windshield, everytime then one of the other switches, but I thought it only activated them switches when it was all the way one direction or the other.

A quick look at the schematic it appears the only way this could happen is a bad control switch or folding top control module. Getting the top not secure message indicates that the control switch was released, that is the only time that it sends that info to the DIC. I bet you have a flakey switch.

PR4424 03-18-2010 10:32 AM

So I have put the top up 5-6 times since the night of the problem and it hasn't happened since then. I am starting to doubt myself thinking that maybe I didn't hold the button long enough. Currently, when I close it it closes 80% of the way then opens slightly, pauses for about 2 -3 seconds then the top comes down the remainder of the way to the windshield.

Is the 2-3 second pause normal? If it is, maybe I was just releasing the button right before it started to move? I can't imagine I was doing that abut I was frustrated so maybe it is possible.

IDSRVIT 03-18-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by PR4424 (Post 1573461687)
So I have put the top up 5-6 times since the night of the problem and it hasn't happened since then. I am starting to doubt myself thinking that maybe I didn't hold the button long enough. Currently, when I close it it closes 80% of the way then opens slightly, pauses for about 2 -3 seconds then the top comes down the remainder of the way to the windshield.

Is the 2-3 second pause normal? If it is, maybe I was just releasing the button right before it started to move? I can't imagine I was doing that abut I was frustrated so maybe it is possible.

The pause is normal....mine does it too (from what I remember before I stored it last year at least). This last pause I believe is the hard cover latching. Top won't go the rest of the way until that occurs.

Curti 03-23-2010 07:58 PM

Power top

Did you ever resolve this problem? My car does the same thing, every time. When it gets to the 80% it reverses and starts to lower again.
Maybe it is common to black verts? ( see avatar)

PR4424 03-23-2010 08:59 PM

No, mine does the same thing. Since this is my first Corvette convertible I am assuming this is normal operation. I haven't had a problem closing it since I started this post. I am thinking I was just being too impatient (hopefully).

Am I wrong in thinking that this is normal?

cclive 03-23-2010 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT (Post 1573462130)
The pause is normal....mine does it too (from what I remember before I stored it last year at least). This last pause I believe is the hard cover latching. Top won't go the rest of the way until that occurs.

:iagree::iagree:

hamertime 09-19-2016 08:04 PM

top wont go the rest of the way down

If anyone can help. my top wont close either. so the tonneu latch is not closing all the way is what I'm getting how do I fix it?

Curti 09-19-2016 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by hamertime (Post 1593091898)
If anyone can help. my top wont close either. so the tonneu latch is not closing all the way is what I'm getting how do I fix it?

I just put my elbo on it when it is almost closed. That way you are not messing with the switches and the tonneu still fits nice.

Kenny94945 09-19-2016 09:49 PM

Could be many things...most common the partition switches.

But...the reason I am posting, as a reminder is for many to review their owner's manual for the emergency top up/ down release procedure.
(Loosen a fitting on the hydraulics - pass side upper behind seat).

Good luck wished.