CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   underdrive pulley question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2547892-underdrive-pulley-question.html)

chuffo302stang 03-12-2010 07:06 PM

underdrive pulley question

my stock crank pulley has a wobble and im thinking of replacing it with an underdrive unit.
What is the best bang for the buck? since there are so many out there!
and do any come in a kit with the new belts?
the car is mostly a weekend car in stock form so I was thinking only 10% but im ready for any suggestions
thanks

0331MARINE 03-12-2010 07:19 PM

I would use an ATI or powerband. If you look in this section(Tech) or use the search, the same question was asked. There's some pretty good info in there. I dont think they come with the belt. I could be wrong. Good luck with the search.

Bill Curlee 03-13-2010 04:12 AM

I have a Powerbond 25% underive. 100% happy with it. ZERO issues!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...7/DSCF0099.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...DSCF0098-1.jpg

Slotted to accept a side pin if you desire to install one.

BC

jon c 03-14-2010 05:58 PM

I am considering doing this also but I am not 100% sure of the benefits of an underdrive compared to standard.. I know someone can help me out .......

Bill Curlee 03-14-2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by jon c (Post 1573418852)
I am considering doing this also but I am not 100% sure of the benefits of an underdrive compared to standard.. I know someone can help me out .......

The accessory drive pulley is smaller so it turns all the accessories slower and removes a small amount of load from the crankshaft. You gain a few HP.:thumbs: You also get a very nice damper that wont fall apart and damage your engine.

I used the power bond and it proven very reliable.

jon c 03-15-2010 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee (Post 1573419119)
The accessory drive pulley is smaller so it turns all the accessories slower and removes a small amount of load from the crankshaft. You gain a few HP.:thumbs: You also get a very nice damper that wont fall apart and damage your engine.

I used the power bond and it proven very reliable.

Thanks BC:thumbs:

81c3 03-15-2010 08:05 PM

I just bought the Powerbond also. Texas Speed with the belt, right around $220.

TheRadioFlyer97 05-11-2010 11:07 PM

guys with the powerbond, couple questions:

1) does it under drive the AC pulley as well?
2) What are the new belt sizes i'll need?

Bill Curlee 05-11-2010 11:38 PM

Does NOT underdrive the AC Compressor.

BC

jon c 05-14-2010 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer (Post 1574044800)
guys with the powerbond, couple questions:

1) does it under drive the AC pulley as well?
2) What are the new belt sizes i'll need?

I just put a new powerbond underdrive pulley on and apparently the NEW ones do underdrive the AC as well, The belts I used are Gates belts:
K060775
K040400

Apparently according to the vendor I used the AC is underdriven 10%

TheRadioFlyer97 05-14-2010 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jon c (Post 1574071774)
I just put a new powerbond underdrive pulley on and apparently the NEW ones do underdrive the AC as well, The belts I used are Gates belts:
K060775
K040400

Apparently according to the vendor I used the AC is underdriven 10%

I'd like to hear your opinion of how it changed the performance of the car. I'm mainly looking for throttle response. It feels like it's lagging a little betwen idle-2500rpm.

Nd4spd2 05-14-2010 01:58 PM

Just don't get one if you have future plans for supercharging because it would throw off the crank/blower boost ratio I think. Maybe they make blower pulleys that go with underdrive crank pulleys?

Blow Torch 05-14-2010 02:57 PM

DUDE, A suggestion here..........If you EVER plan on modding your car, go ahead and put a cam in it RIGHT NOW :lol::lol:
You will have done the two hardest jobs (IMO) to installing a cam, pulling the steering rack and the balancer!!:rofl:

Seriously, if you even THINK you might want a cam eventually, you will be RIGHT THERE AT IT :lol::lol:
My .02

printmanjackson 05-14-2010 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Blow Torch (Post 1574073026)
DUDE, A suggestion here..........If you EVER plan on modding your car, go ahead and put a cam in it RIGHT NOW :lol::lol:
You will have done the two hardest jobs (IMO) to installing a cam, pulling the steering rack and the balancer!!:rofl:

Seriously, if you even THINK you might want a cam eventually, you will be RIGHT THERE AT IT :lol::lol:
My .02

:iagree:

TheRadioFlyer97 05-14-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nd4spd2 (Post 1574072386)
Just don't get one if you have future plans for supercharging because it would throw off the crank/blower boost ratio I think. Maybe they make blower pulleys that go with underdrive crank pulleys?

No FI on this car. As much as i want to, i just can't justify that kind of $$ on a 97. If i get a C6 this year (as planned) all bets are off. :lol:

Originally Posted by Blow Torch (Post 1574073026)

My .02

I'm giving thought to an 02+ LS6 cam to keep a stealthy idle but givee significanly better low end torque. While i'm at it, i'll upgrade the pushrods and valvesprings. Figure it will be good for about 30 hp on the bottom end. (not to concerned about up top gains)

81c3 05-14-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer (Post 1574073682)
No FI on this car. As much as i want to, i just can't justify that kind of $$ on a 97. If i get a C6 this year (as planned) all bets are off. :lol:

I'm giving thought to an 02+ LS6 cam to keep a stealthy idle but givee significanly better low end torque. While i'm at it, i'll upgrade the pushrods and valvesprings. Figure it will be good for about 30 hp on the bottom end. (not to concerned about up top gains)

Go bigger. Youre already replacing the valve springs and push rods anyway. Dont forget to replace the valve guide seals also while youre there.

J.R. 05-14-2010 09:03 PM

I agree with Bill.

I have had excellent results with a PowerBond and it is priced well.

Make sure it is the SFI certified model.

jon c 05-14-2010 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer (Post 1574072320)
I'd like to hear your opinion of how it changed the performance of the car. I'm mainly looking for throttle response. It feels like it's lagging a little betwen idle-2500rpm.

It is hard to say because I put in a cam and some other goodies at the same time.

I bought mine from Texas Speed also they were great to work with as this was a last minute need it now decision, something made my car start running funny I dont know if it was the pullety or what:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsfU4...eature=channel

TheRadioFlyer97 05-15-2010 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by jon c (Post 1574076601)
It is hard to say because I put in a cam and some other goodies at the same time.

I bought mine from Texas Speed also they were great to work with as this was a last minute need it now decision, something made my car start running funny I dont know if it was the pullety or what:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsfU4...eature=channel

Would love to see a vid of your car in action. :cheers: