CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Chevy Denies Warranty on Harmonic Balancer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2563839-chevy-denies-warranty-on-harmonic-balancer.html)

C6Longshot 04-02-2010 01:24 PM

Chevy Denies Warranty on Harmonic Balancer

Ran into a crappy situation at my dealership and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience....

A week ago my belts started chirping, and I noticed my crank pulley wobbling way too much. Took it to the dealer, they agreed and replaced the harmonic balancer.

BUT-they said it was not covered under warrranty. I have a 2007 with the 5 year/100k powertrain warranty, and in the warranty SPECIFICALLY calls out that the HARMONIC BALANCER is a covered part.

Anyway, the dealer and so far Chevy as well, are telling me that the "harmonic balancer" is covered for "Corvettes with diesel engines only" -made me laugh- and that the part they replaced in my car is the CRANKSHAFT BALANCER which is not covered. Seems to me the same thing as calling a turn signal a blinker- its the same part!!

I am pretty pissed about having to shell out $1K to repair a part that is covered under warranty and should last the life of the vehicle!!

Now that I have ranted....any suggestions?

kermitbuns 04-02-2010 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by C6Longshot (Post 1573629976)
Ran into a crappy situation at my dealership and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience....

A week ago my belts started chirping, and I noticed my crank pulley wobbling way too much. Took it to the dealer, they agreed and replaced the harmonic balancer.

BUT-they said it was not covered under warrranty. I have a 2007 with the 5 year/100k powertrain warranty, and in the warranty SPECIFICALLY calls out that the HARMONIC BALANCER is a covered part.

Anyway, the dealer and so far Chevy as well, are telling me that the "harmonic balancer" is covered for "Corvettes with diesel engines only" -made me laugh- and that the part they replaced in my car is the CRANKSHAFT BALANCER which is not covered. Seems to me the same thing as calling a turn signal a blinker- its the same part!!

I am pretty pissed about having to shell out $1K to repair a part that is covered under warranty and should last the life of the vehicle!!

File a Better Business Bureau complaint and contact the Chevy Warranty department yourself armed with the actual warranty language in your hand. If you have to, look up a Parts list to see if it actually called a "crankshaft balancer" or "harmonic balancer" so that you can be prepared to call their bluff. Or if you can find a reliable source that equates the two as the same thing, that could be helpful.

If that fails, get a lawyer, sue for a refund of the Warranty Cost since they are in breach of contract.

LOUSVETTE 04-02-2010 01:47 PM

Do a search for the GM guy that's monitioring the forum and see if he can help

CroOrange 04-02-2010 01:50 PM

i recall someone having the same issue on this forum exactly a year ago.

I don't recall the conclusion of the operation, try a search.

a++ Cedric

ORANGEC6VERT 04-02-2010 02:01 PM

Send me a pm with last 8 of your vin and mileage and let me see what i can do for you. Sounds like you are getting a crazy run-a-round.

not08crmanymore 04-02-2010 02:19 PM

I won't buy another Vette if they're starting this crap.

chsmith112 04-02-2010 02:20 PM

I had my harmonic balancer replaced under warrenty twice :) I would go to a different dealer. But mine was the GMPP so I don't know if that is different.

mcandrew67 04-02-2010 02:26 PM

Nothing Harmonious about that :D

Bill Dearborn 04-02-2010 02:42 PM

How do you know what GM said? Did you talk to them or did you just get the word from the dealer that GM didn't approve of the warranty charge?

The parts illustration on the GM Parts House web site shows the part as a vibration damper Vs a harmonic balancer or crankshaft balancer.

GMPP would cover the part as GMPP Major Guard is a bumper to bumper service plan and their contract doesn't list what is covered but what isn't covered.

Bill

Ror 04-02-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by C6Longshot (Post 1573629976)

You are really getting screwed. I just took my vette in yesterday because it was making a whistling noise. The GM dealer told me its the harmonic balancer. Its covered under the powertrain. I dont owe a dime. I have a 2006 c6. They are also giving me a new oil pan for free and suggested I put in 2 new belts. Total cost: 100 bucks. You cant find another GM dealer in the area??? Sorry about the bad luck.

ORANGEC6VERT 04-02-2010 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 08crm (Post 1573630502)

GM is definately NOT the problem here!

The dealer is making this decision because he wants you to pay labor time for the repair rather than charge it to GM Warranty-GM Warranty pays less and the tech feels like he looses money, and the service department thinks they are loosing money.

First-call GM YOURSELF 1-800-222-1020. Explain the situation and I am sure you will be satisfied. I have been working with GM for 18 years and I have never seen them more willing to make sure EVERY customer is satisfied.

Second-find another Chevrolet dealer who WANTS your business!!

RUBYREDVET 04-02-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 08crm (Post 1573630502)

I will, but only the "diesel".:D

Ghost 23 04-02-2010 03:05 PM

Crankshaft balancer, harmonic balancer, whatever: It is not part of the powertrain and, therefore, not covered by the powertrain warranty? BS

Walt White Coupe 04-02-2010 03:14 PM

So in the tech manual they do call it a "crankshaft balancer" but that's really beside the point. "Crankshaft balancer and Harmonic balancer are one and the same thing. You've got the facts on your side and in the end will prevail. I'd report them to the Better Business Bureau also.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...ftBalancer.jpg

AORoads 04-02-2010 03:35 PM

Who at "Chevy as well" is telling you that it's not covered? You say the dealer, and someone else. Who's the someone else?

Do all of the stuff listed above, like calling the numbers provided, filing a BBB complaint, etc. You've now got the info.

And frankly, in some cases the extended service plan can actually have less coverage than the initial car's warranty. One's a service plan (an insurance policy), the other is a warranty. Big difference.

GOLD72 04-02-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ror (Post 1573630760)
You are really getting screwed. I just took my vette in yesterday because it was making a whistling noise. The GM dealer told me its the harmonic balancer. Its covered under the powertrain. I dont owe a dime. I have a 2006 c6. They are also giving me a new oil pan for free and suggested I put in 2 new belts. Total cost: 100 bucks. You cant find another GM dealer in the area??? Sorry about the bad luck.

:iagree: It is an engine part and therefore covered. The dealer is shafting the OP.

not08crmanymore 04-02-2010 04:53 PM

So your 06 has a 4 years warranty??5/100 didn't start till 07.Did you buy yours in 07 new?

not08crmanymore 04-02-2010 04:56 PM

GM is definately NOT the problem here!

The dealer is making this decision because he wants you to pay labor time for the repair rather than charge it to GM Warranty-GM Warranty pays less and the tech feels like he looses money, and the service department thinks they are loosing money.

First-call GM YOURSELF 1-800-222-1020. Explain the situation and I am sure you will be satisfied. I have been working with GM for 18 years and I have never seen them more willing to make sure EVERY customer is satisfied.

Second-find another Chevrolet dealer who WANTS your business!!
Good news! Now,what will GM do about their dealer network??

FrankTank 04-02-2010 05:32 PM

That's why they are called "Stealerships":crazy::ack: Replacing the balancer is not that hard, but does require a good bit of labor, but any decent mechanic with half a brain, shop tools and a lift should not take him that long.

Hope you get it resolved.

CorvettePartsBob 04-02-2010 05:33 PM

This is Bob at Fichtner Chevrolet, a long time supporting dealer here on the Forum.

I regret to say your dealer got to you as the harmonic balancer, which is the same part that the GM Parts catalog lists as the crankshaft balancer IS COVERED under the 5yr 100m mile powertrain warranty.

Her is a direct copy from the GM POLICY AND PROCEDURES MANUAL ON WHAT IS COVERED BY THE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY.

Engine Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, the entire pressurized fuel system
(in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line). Also included
are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e., Active Fuel Management
Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module, module
programming, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump
housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump,
harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger. Timing belts
are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

I would take this back to your dealer and demand your $$ back or you will turn them over to GM for fraudulantly charging for legitimate warranty repairs.

Then find a new dealer!

If you have any problems and would like some assistance give me a call at 800-234-5284