CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   CorvetteForum presents Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge!! We've been invited!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2567276-corvetteforum-presents-speed-by-spectre-341-challenge-weve-been-invited.html)

Robb M. 04-06-2010 07:44 PM

CorvetteForum presents Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge!! We've been invited!!

Hey everyone,

CorvetteForum.com has been selected to send a representative to the 1st Annual Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge - a road race on one of the country's most challenging mountain roads - Nevada's Highway 341. Click here for more on the 1st Annual Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge.

We need a member of the forum who is willing to take their car to this racing event (which is by invitation only) and we want the members of the forum to nominate the car/member who they want to see representing CorvetteForum.com!

Keep in mind, this isn't to be a popularity contest. Don't nominate someone because you are buddies with them on the forum. The member nominated needs to be willing to take his or her car to Nevada in June for this two day race.

The members do not need to check with the people they are nominating... we will take care of that. All we need is your nominee's name and a picture of their car IN THIS THREAD. The cars don't need to be fully built race cars (all vehicles entered must be registered, have insurance, and be street legal) and the member doesn't need to be a professional racer but please keep in mind that we want to make a good showing so some racing experience would be nice and let's be honest; a stock car isn't going to get the job done.

Cliffs: Members of CorvetteForum.com are asked to nominate a forum member and his or her car to represent the forum in the 1st Annual Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge.. To nominate someone, you need to post their forum screen name and a picture of their car. There is no limit to the number of nominations but we will only be accepting them for 10 days, so if you want to nominate someone, speak up!

Again, you (the member nominating someone) does not need to check to make sure that the nominated member has a chance of coming. This race is a little over two months away, so we probably don't want members who have cars that are torn down and might not be ready...but lets get those nominations in and after ten days, we will begin contacting the nominees.

Ultimately, with the help of the forum staff, we will cut the number of nominees down and have the members vote on the car that will represent the forum at the race event.

Click here for more on the 1st Annual Speed by Spectre 341 Challenge.

Pwnage1337 04-07-2010 12:27 AM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=42870
RedLS1GTO

SDLong329 04-07-2010 12:33 AM

If nominated, I will not serve! :lol:

96solo 04-07-2010 03:31 AM

Seriously we have members that can win. ACR Arizona Corvette Racing has two members that could win this. Ed Van Scoy, has been the fastest man in a C4 (Bonneville) and Teddy Baer with Gary Innocenti Silver State class winners.

ACR guys... help me with the pics.

PA Z06 04-07-2010 07:10 AM

What about Doug and Chirs at ECS, they did the silver state classic before.

Kubs 04-07-2010 07:45 AM

Aaron Quine has a crazy fast C4 that is street legal. Not sure if he could go though.

http://quinemotorsports.com/Photos/G...6-MO-NASA1.jpg

L98Terror 04-07-2010 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Robb M. (Post 1573677514)
let's be honest; a stock car isn't going to get the job done.

Lets be honest someone like Danny Popp in a Stock Z06 will beat 99.9% of those in modified cars and I wouldn't bet againest him winning in a close to stock car.

BTW isn't his ST1 car street legal:thumbs: My vote goes to Danny, he's only like a 50 time National champion and arguably one of the best amateur drivers in the US. Anyone got a photo they can post up.

L98Terror 04-07-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 96solo (Post 1573679068)
Seriously we have members that can win. ACR Arizona Corvette Racing has two members that could win this. Ed Van Scoy, has been the fastest man in a C4 (Bonneville) and Teddy Baer with Gary Innocenti Silver State class winners.

ACR guys... help me with the pics.

Aren't both those events high speed straight line events?

Pumba 04-07-2010 09:10 AM

Gentlemen,

Once you have read the rules and watched the video of the record setting Ferrari's run, you will see that one of our typical Road Racing or Autocrossing Corvettes might not be allowed in this competition.

First: They don't allow Racing or R compound tires. Only DOT approved tires with a Wear Rating of 100 or greater are allowed. Also, they do not allow the modification of the tires or their tread - No shaving.

Second: The entrant vehicles must be Street-Legal - Registered - Insured.

Third: The race is in northern Nevada. If one were to have any chance at all, our entrant would want to be able to at least drive the course several times before the event so you have a feel for the curves and the layout of the route. That would mean to me that our entrant needs to live in Nevada or northern California or Idaho or Oregon.

Suggestions?

mrc24x 04-07-2010 09:17 AM

I'll second what Ken said. Airline Danny out and give him a C6Z from a dealership.........:cool:

Screen name = Raftracer if you need to contact him.

Pumba 04-07-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by L98Terror (Post 1573680155)
Aren't both those events high speed straight line events?

The Spectre 341 Challenge Route is anything but straight:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...re341Route.jpg

The route is highlighted in RED and YELLOW.

L98Terror 04-07-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pumba (Post 1573680343)
The Spectre 341 Route is anything but straight:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...re341Route.jpg

The route is highlighted in RED and YELLOW.

That was my point:D

savewave 04-07-2010 10:38 AM

If you know of people who might be competitive, please contact them and ask if they are available and interested. If so, they should post in this thread so a Corvetteforum representative can be designated. :cheers:

Bill32 04-07-2010 11:24 AM

If someone does decide to run and wants someone to crew, I'm available.

I live on route 342, about 4 miles from 341.

J Ritt 04-07-2010 11:45 AM

:iagree: My first thought was Danny P in a sorted C6 Z06 or ZR1...torque while running uphill is a nice thing to have.

Mike Mercury 04-07-2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by L98Terror (Post 1573680102)
Lets be honest, someone like Danny Popp in a Stock Z06 will beat 99.9% of those in modified cars and I wouldn't bet againest him winning in a close to stock car.

nail hit squarely on head. :yesnod:

YLWFVR75 04-07-2010 01:54 PM

If Danny can't go, i'm voting for Ken L98Terror. I've seen video footage of this guy, and he can drive :thumbs:

///DarkSide\\\ 04-07-2010 03:35 PM

My DD is an '08 Z51 but my other car is a Griggs 98 Cobra, not the one in this vid, though I’ve ridden in this very car on several tracks.

Thought I’d share for your viewing pleasure & my .02, another run to the top :thumbs:

Pumba 04-07-2010 03:55 PM

Another thing to consider in the Forum's recommendation:
  • The Challenge is conducted at altitudes between 5,000 and 6,200 ft. A Forced-Induction Corvette would have an advantage

tcmc5 04-07-2010 04:39 PM

Someone should put Danny in a ZR1 for this.:smash::smash::smash::smash: