CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Almost killed by a Toyota today! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/2582169-almost-killed-by-a-toyota-today.html)

mariomark 04-26-2010 10:03 PM

Almost killed by a Toyota today!

I was nearly crushed by a runaway Toyota today while at the auto parts store. It came crashing through the storefront and chased me to the back of the aisle while the shelving closed in behind me. I still have glass in my hair and shoes. It was right out of a movie. The adrenaline flowed like it never has before. Now I know how those dudes feel who get chased by a friggin bear. Ate a big ass steak and hugged my kid and I am very happy to still have my legs. News said throttle stuck and the driver was not cited.

danl72 04-26-2010 10:14 PM

Glad to hear you are fine.

johnodrake 04-26-2010 10:20 PM

Ummm another stuck throttle on a Toyota.... :ack:

AtHomeSoda 04-26-2010 10:20 PM

wow

:willy:

m48xhp 04-26-2010 10:29 PM

what model was it?

Epic_C6 04-26-2010 10:31 PM

That is insane these things aren't fixed yet. Fricken Toyotas!

Top_Fuel 04-26-2010 10:33 PM

Damn! :eek: Glad to hear you are OK. :thumbs:

Did you at least get a discount on the parts you were buying? :D

I was talking to a body shop manager last week. He was working on a bashed up patrol car that got t-boned by a Honda. The Honda driver claimed his throttle stuck open. I guess I'd say that too if I screwed up that bad! :lol: I still wonder how many of these "stuck throttle" cases are legit.

gbgary 04-26-2010 10:48 PM

is this your incident?

http://www.ktbs.com/news/toyota-cras...in-shreveport/

07c6vette 04-26-2010 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by mariomark (Post 1573889429)
I was nearly crushed by a runaway Toyota today while at the auto parts store. It came crashing through the storefront and chased me to the back of the aisle while the shelving closed in behind me. I still have glass in my hair and shoes. It was right out of a movie. The adrenaline flowed like it never has before. Now I know how those dudes feel who get chased by a friggin bear. Ate a big ass steak and hugged my kid and I am very happy to still have my legs. News said throttle stuck and the driver was not cited.

you are one lucky person...i guess it's one of those toyota recall problem.

slappy3347 04-26-2010 11:19 PM

Wow that is amazing. I'm glad you are ok and hope no one else was hurt. Toyota needs to pay big time for their carelessness.

You recieved a new lease on life. Make the best of it. :cheers:

Vette Suspension 04-26-2010 11:19 PM

Glad your okay.:yesnod:

:thumbs:Wow!!! I could not be happier that the cover and :bs of Toyota quality has been blown.:thumbs:

Wayne O 04-26-2010 11:45 PM

That sounds 'exciting'...glad you're OK.

NJ Vette Guy 04-27-2010 12:08 AM

So... Are you going to run with the bulls in Barcelona next?!?!? :thumbs:

Glad to hear you're okay.....:cheers:

ZishanM 04-27-2010 02:15 AM

Glad to hear your okay.

It all honesty that sounds like somoene whose foot slipped of the brake and onto the gas, more than someone a stuck accelerator pedal.

mariomark 04-27-2010 08:08 AM

Yes, that is the link to the story. Grey wisps of smoke were coming out from under the hood when it came to a stop.

Dave68 04-27-2010 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel (Post 1573889739)
Damn! :eek: Glad to hear you are OK. :thumbs:

Did you at least get a discount on the parts you were buying? :D

I was talking to a body shop manager last week. He was working on a bashed up patrol car that got t-boned by a Honda. The Honda driver claimed his throttle stuck open. I guess I'd say that too if I screwed up that bad! :lol: I still wonder how many of these "stuck throttle" cases are legit.

A good percentage of them are "elderly" drivers who confuse the gas and brake pedals. It used to be mostly Oldsmobiles and Buicks but now that many baby boomers are getting old, it's more likely to be Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Infinities, Lexus, and Acuras that are bearing the brunt of the "runaway acceleration" accusations.

As long as there are older drivers, there will always be this excuse.

mariomark 04-27-2010 10:20 AM

My mother complained about the throttle sticking in her 4 runner almost two years ago and they told her it was driver error, after keeping her car for two weeks. Mom is sharp as a tack and can drive like a banshee in a hailstorm.

m48xhp 04-27-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by mariomark (Post 1573893307)
My mother complained about the throttle sticking in her 4 runner almost two years ago and they told her it was driver error, after keeping her car for two weeks. Mom is sharp as a tack and can drive like a banshee in a hailstorm.

ya know the 4 runner is not covered under the acceleration recall as it has a mechanical accellerator. not to call her a liar, but they had good reason to suspect driver error.

i would guess at least 50% of the claims are fake. funny how there were only a handful of incidents from 2007-2009, but then dozens or hundreds in 2010. nothing has changed with their cars in the last 3 years :rolleyes:

mariomark 04-27-2010 12:40 PM

Yes, everyone with half a brain knows that it is absolutely impossible for a mechanical linkage to stick. I do not know how that one got by me. I'll be sure to slap Mom for lying, right after I go out and buy a freakin' P.O.S. Toyota.

Vette Suspension 04-27-2010 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mariomark (Post 1573893307)

Toyota as documented has covered up defects in their cars to continue the false belief their cars were well made. Sadly, innocent Americans died and, some were jailed due to Toyota's poor design and, poor quality.