CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   66 shifter rattle (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2589469-66-shifter-rattle.html)

mikeysentra 05-06-2010 11:46 PM

66 shifter rattle

I have a annoying shifter rattle. in third gear the shifter rattles like mad. 1,2 and 4 I dont get the rattle. the car does have a Hurst shifter (been in the car for years) the noise seems to come from the trans tunnel under the console. I installed a new exhaust today (Corvette Central Exhaust with Magnaflow Mufflers). I don't think I heard it before because of the exhaust leak at the pipe that joins the Right manifold. its not the exhaust rattling on anything I have double checked and its not touching anything. I also installed a new speedo cable today. My first thought was Trans internal problem but a good mechanic friend of mine rode with me and said it sounded external not internal, more like linkage rattling. I put it back on the lift and all shift linkages seem to be in good order. the front shift rod on the trans (Muncie I believe) (327 300HP 4 speed) does rattle in third gear but not any others. should I just live with the noise or should I look further into this? all bolts are tight that have to do with the shifter and the car still shifts great and is not doing anything abnormal (other than rattling).

What should I be looking for that I have not looked at OR HAVE AND MISSED?

TIA

rayvaflav 05-07-2010 12:01 AM

Is it mounted to the block/plate on the transmission tailshaft of the late '66 frame mounted bracket ? Mounting it to the bracket and off of the trans made a huge difference on my '66 (with a OEM Muncie shifter).

Ray

mikeysentra 05-07-2010 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by rayvaflav (Post 1573995482)
Is it mounted to the block/plate on the transmission tailshaft of the late '66 frame mounted bracket ? Mounting it to the bracket and off of the trans made a huge difference on my '66 (with a OEM Muncie shifter).

Ray

I dont quite understand what you mean? the trans is mounted to the frame by the tailshaft of the trans.

Astrodokk 05-07-2010 12:36 AM

In '66, the shifter mount design was changed from the transmission side (like my '65) to the frame or crossmember, I don't remember which. That was done because of the rattling shifter. I've read that a well rebuilt Muncie shifter won't rattle either way (tranny or frame). I switched to a Hurst and it doesn't rattle like the Muncie did. It's still on the tranny mount bracket. Some folks have switched their '65's to the '66 design, but I don't recall anyone doing it vice versa. I wouldn't think that your car has the tranny bracket, so the rattling is coming from the shifter itself probably. Good luck pinpointing the source.

mikeysentra 05-07-2010 12:43 AM

Thanks. So it would seem that this is a common issue? I have looked at the linkage put didnt pay attention to how the shifter was attached to the car. I know its not attached to the trans so it must be frame mounted. I will try to ignore the noise for now and the next time I get the car on the lift I will investigate further. I just wanted to make sure the car was Safe to drive. its been sitting for about 5 years and its finaly getting to the point of being back on the road and reliable. waiting for shocks, a new starter and a fey other bits before I start to drive it more than a few miles away from the house.

Astrodokk 05-07-2010 10:10 AM

Well at least yours rattles in 3rd gear only. Mine rattled only in 4th, all the time! It drove me mad so I got the Hurst.
Make sure your tires and brakes are good first, then start getting the other things done. You don't want a blow out or failed brakes to ruin a day.

mikeysentra 05-07-2010 10:22 AM

Tires are fresh, Brakes are new stainless line calipers, braided lines new pads and rotors all the way around with new master. all fluids have ben changed and full service performed.

JohnZ 05-07-2010 11:30 AM

Many Hurst shifters back in the day came with plastic bushings where the rods went through the levers; they had a "Pit Pack" option kit with bronze bushings to replace the plastic ones that tightened up the linkage. You might check and see what you have. :thumbs:

midyearvette 05-07-2010 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by JohnZ (Post 1573998869)
Many Hurst shifters back in the day came with plastic bushings where the rods went through the levers; they had a "Pit Pack" option kit with bronze bushings to replace the plastic ones that tightened up the linkage. You might check and see what you have. :thumbs:

:iagree:...also i would check the tranny yoke and rear tailshaft bushing for wear....good luck.....:cheers:

mikeysentra 05-07-2010 03:03 PM

thanks. I will check into all those things when I get the shocks and get the car back on the lift.

Blk63Vette 05-07-2010 03:07 PM

HURST is the way to go...:thumbs:

knight37128 05-07-2010 05:12 PM

If you had side pipes you wouldn't be able to hear the rattle.

Just saying. :leaving:

Avispa 05-07-2010 05:53 PM

If the rattle is only in 3rd you may also have a worn mainshaft bearing. In 4th the mainshaft is locked to the main drive gear through the 3/4 shifter sleeve. In 1st and 2nd there is so much side thrust on the mainshaft that it tends not to wobble (causing the shifter rattle).

If you have any plans to change the clutch, replace the bronze pilot bearing with a roller bearing (waiting for the rotten tomatoes to get thrown my way) and all your noisy little problems will go away for good.

wmf62 05-08-2010 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Avispa (Post 1574002787)
If you have any plans to change the clutch, replace the bronze pilot bearing with a roller bearing (waiting for the rotten tomatoes to get thrown my way) and all your noisy little problems will go away for good.

:nono:
Bill

mikeysentra 05-08-2010 11:24 AM

whats the deal with the Pilot bushing? Why not go to a roller bearing?

magicv8 05-08-2010 02:58 PM

put a roller bearing in 10-years ago to stop bronze bearing biannual failure, and it's still rolling along.:thumbs:

mikeysentra 05-09-2010 12:47 AM

:cheers:I think I just need to replace the nylon bushings in the shifter. The noise wasnt that bad today. but I havent fully looked into it. I didnt get the car on the lift today. got the starter fixed (Loose connection at the starter) glad I waited instead of just ordering one, fixed the fuel guage (1 wire disconnected at the sender under the car, replaced all under hood fuel hoses, still need to replace the one at the lower part of the tank but need to wait to run the tank low, tightened the turn signal lever along with checking connections on the horn in the collum. I ordered a horn relay and I have my fingers crossed. hopefully the order I just placed will be the last for a while, Have shocks, ant. switch, horn relay, temp guage sender connector terminal, and Floor mats on order. I think I am getting close to be able to enjoy the car. as much fun as I am having working on it, I cant wait to start driving it more. And the Visa bill is going to HURT this month....

:cheers: and thanks for all the input