CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Firestone Firehawk vs. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2589694-firestone-firehawk-vs-michelin-pilot-sport-a-s-plus-zp.html)

vette-oholic 05-07-2010 11:11 AM

Firestone Firehawk vs. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP

I am looking for best value high performance all-weather runflat.

I had replaced the fronts with firestone firehawk ovals and I am happy with them. I thought they were all-season, but tireack is calling them a summer tire.

How would these rate vs. the michelin pilot sports A/S? (not the expensive PS2s)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

thanks.

theVcar 05-07-2010 11:19 AM

this is not apples to apples
:ack:

vette-oholic 05-07-2010 11:37 AM

Why not? I am not asking about the PS2s - i know they are superior

Originally Posted by theVcar (Post 1573998740)

florida Al 05-07-2010 11:42 AM

I put firehawks on after the stock ran out but only got 13000 mi out of the rear. I got the a/s sports they may give up little in handling but come with 45000 mi tread warranty and I could not find any other tire with tread warranty. Got them at sams they put them on 15 min and balance was perfect. I have them 6000 mi they look new plus they are much better in the rain than firehawks

vette-oholic 05-07-2010 11:50 AM

yes, I noticed that the michelins have better tread, so i am leaning towards them.
Do you remember what you paid for the rear tires?

theVcar 05-07-2010 01:58 PM

I just put my 2nd set of FS widse oval. 30k and 6 road course events. Thats 600 miles and 800 minutes of great handling for a RF tire. Oh who drives in the rain:D

CSixDude 05-07-2010 02:20 PM

You couldn't give me a set of Firestone tires. They have the worst track record of any tire brand I know of. I wouldn't put them on a Pinto.

LAWLESS 05-07-2010 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by theVcar (Post 1573998740)

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

A/S IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT TIRE

A/S ON A C6 IS LIKE WEARING FLIP FLOPS TO PLAY BASKETBALL:lol::lol:

lsbrodsky 05-07-2010 03:44 PM

Nonsense! I drove my car at VIR on Michelin A/S's and they did just fine. I would not own Firestones based on their history.
Larry

Mez 05-08-2010 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Fred H. (Post 1574000726)
You couldn't give me a set of Firestone tires. They have the worst track record of any tire brand I know of. I wouldn't put them on a Pinto.

Firestones have performed much better for me than Goodyear. I don't have any concerns with the Wide Ovals whatsoever.

tclhb 05-11-2010 09:08 PM

I went from the GY supercar tires to the Firestone. No complaints here.

Gearhead Jim 05-11-2010 10:54 PM

The Firestones are definitely not an A/S tire, if they are like the C5 version.
The ones i had on our C5, couldn't get out of my driveway after about 1-2" of snow.

That may or may not make any difference to you...

08VRZ06 05-12-2010 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by vette-oholic (Post 1573998647)
I am looking for best value high performance all-weather runflat.

I had replaced the fronts with firestone firehawk ovals and I am happy with them. I thought they were all-season, but tireack is calling them a summer tire.

How would these rate vs. the michelin pilot sports A/S? (not the expensive PS2s)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

thanks.

I'm running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP's on my 08 Pace Car Coupe. I have a couple thousand mile on them now and I like them very much. They ride better and are quieter that the Factory Goodyears and seem to have very good traction on dry and wet pavement. I have seen .8 g's with them on dry pavement around a curve and they felt fine. They have better traction than the Goodyears in the cold as well as I have driven them with temps in the 20's. They also say they are good in light snow but I have not tested that yet. One of the best things is they have a 45,000 mile warranty! I hope that they come close as I only got 14,000 miles out of my Factory Goodyears..

Mark :flag: :flag:

Luke@tirerack 05-12-2010 10:13 AM

the Firehawk is definitely not an all season tire and as stated can't move in snow. The Michelin is a very nice driving tire with exceptional ride quality and longer tire life. The Firehawk does out perform the the Michelin in the dry by a significant margin and is slightly better in the wet providing temps are above 50 degrees

vette-oholic 05-12-2010 08:53 PM

Thanks, I was hoping to see .9 Gs with the michelin.
Can anyone confirm this?

Originally Posted by Indy272 (Post 1574047240)
I'm running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP's on my 08 Pace Car Coupe. I have a couple thousand mile on them now and I like them very much. They ride better and are quieter that the Factory Goodyears and seem to have very good traction on dry and wet pavement. I have seen .8 g's with them on dry pavement around a curve and they felt fine. They have better traction than the Goodyears in the cold as well as I have driven them with temps in the 20's. They also say they are good in light snow but I have not tested that yet. One of the best things is they have a 45,000 mile warranty! I hope that they come close as I only got 14,000 miles out of my Factory Goodyears..

Mark :flag: :flag:

Like dem Vettes 05-13-2010 10:07 PM

Pilot Sport A/S

Pilot Sport A/S without a doubt!

Mez 05-13-2010 11:13 PM

I don't recall anyone saying they were not satisfied with the Firestone Wide Ovals when they actually owned them. I checked the TireRack website and there are very few negative comments.

They are not recommended for below freezing or snow, which is not a problem to most people. The Michelins A/S and Firestone W/O are not direct competitors.

jmudreamvette 05-13-2010 11:36 PM

Nitto NT05's for me. great all around tire for a good price.:thumbs: Didn't see them on the survey.:rofl:

firstc6vetter 05-15-2010 12:46 AM

Michelin PSAS+ versus Firestone Firehawk WO

Enjoyed reading this forum. Will be putting new tires on my C6 and at this time have decided on the Michelin's. I live in Oregon and the weather is often on the wet side--the Michelins supposedly have better wet road performance and there seems to be more negative comments about the Firestone tires.

Regarding the Michelin warranty: I was told by a Certified Michelin technician that the mileage warranty is void if the tires cannot be rotated.

AORoads 05-15-2010 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by firstc6vetter (Post 1574078166)
Enjoyed reading this forum. Will be putting new tires on my C6 and at this time have decided on the Michelin's. I live in Oregon and the weather is often on the wet side--the Michelins supposedly have better wet road performance and there seems to be more negative comments about the Firestone tires.

Regarding the Michelin warranty: I was told by a Certified Michelin technician that the mileage warranty is void if the tires cannot be rotated.

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct, but the Michelin warranty does state that:

"...Tires which wear out evenly before delivering the warranted mileage will be
replaced on a pro rata basis only if
:

1) You are the original purchaser of the tires, you own the vehicle on
which they were originally installed, and the tires have been used only
on that vehicle;

2) The tires have been rotated and inspected by a participating Michelin®
tire retailer every 7,500 miles,
and the attached Mounting and Rotation
Service Record has been fully completed and signed;..."

from, http://www.michelinman.com/media/en-...d-warranty.pdf