CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Northwest (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest-127/)
-   -   i'm squeaking - need recommendations (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/pacific-northwest/2595167-im-squeaking-need-recommendations.html)

YNOT2K 05-14-2010 09:05 PM

i'm squeaking - need recommendations

my y2k C5 coupe started squeaking today.

obviously coming from the belts. i see a bit of wobble in the balancer. i know this is a common problem and am ready to get it fixed now.

i have replaced the idler pulleys and the belt already so i don't think the squeak is coming from them.

I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT TO A DEALERSHIP!

looking for a local corvette knowledgable mechanic to do the work. i plan to buy a Powerbond 25% underive pulley and have it pinned when installed.

any recommendations for someone local to do the work?

thanks,

jeff

tomZ51 05-14-2010 10:55 PM

Oil seems to stop most squeeks!:lol:

jrprich 05-14-2010 11:32 PM

"looking for a local corvette knowledgable mechanic"

TJ Wong is your man

do a search for member tjwong

Mr. Peabody 05-15-2010 01:58 AM

Jeff

If you're looking for someone local try www.bradscustomauto.com

They specialize in corvettes & mustangs and always have corvettes in their shop.

I've had my car serviced there for the past 5 years. Having the steering rack replaced next week.

Mark

vettedan 05-15-2010 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by YNOT2K (Post 1574076555)
my y2k C5 coupe started squeaking today.

obviously coming from the belts. i see a bit of wobble in the balancer. i know this is a common problem and am ready to get it fixed now.

i have replaced the idler pulleys and the belt already so i don't think the squeak is coming from them.

I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT TO A DEALERSHIP!

looking for a local corvette knowledgable mechanic to do the work. i plan to buy a Powerbond 25% underive pulley and have it pinned when installed.

any recommendations for someone local to do the work?

thanks,

jeff

Isolate the problem. Remove the serpentine belt(s) and see if the noise stops. If this sound persists, I have seen bad roller lifters and loose dampener pulleys make this noise.
Dan
Vetteworks
3290 B ST NW #A
Auburn, WA
253-223-4968
www.vetteworksonline.com

YNOT2K 05-15-2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by vettedan (Post 1574078554)
Isolate the problem. Remove the serpentine belt(s) and see if the noise stops. If this sound persists, I have seen bad roller lifters and loose dampener pulleys make this noise.
Dan
Vetteworks
3290 B ST NW #A
Auburn, WA
253-223-4968
www.vetteworksonline.com

i'll have time to do this today but i have a question -

i know i can take off the lower belt (the ac belt right?) and the car will run without it. but i'm not sure about the upper belt - can i start and run the car without the upper belt?

jeff

tjwong 05-15-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by YNOT2K (Post 1574080107)
i'll have time to do this today but i have a question -

i know i can take off the lower belt (the ac belt right?) and the car will run without it. but i'm not sure about the upper belt - can i start and run the car without the upper belt?

jeff

Jeff, you can run it without the main belt, but not for very long. It drives the alternator and more importantly the water pump. So you can start it, idle it and listen. A easier way to check is to take a spray bottle with water in it, spray while its running and see if the noise changes.

From what I have seen, all stock LS balancers will have some wobble, however if it looks like its wobbling a quarter inch or more that is not normal. You should be able to see a slight run out.

YNOT2K 05-15-2010 08:36 PM

hmmm

it's certainly not wobbling 1/4". not even close to that much.

i pulled the belts and the squeak stopped. i put the alternator/waterpump belt back on and no squeak. i then added the lower a/c belt and.......no squeak????

did i fix it?? :D should i go into business as a corvette mechanic? :D

or....is my car possessed? :willy::rofl:

jeff

Sox-Fan 05-16-2010 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody (Post 1574078458)
Jeff

If you're looking for someone local try www.bradscustomauto.com

They specialize in corvettes & mustangs and always have corvettes in their shop.

I've had my car serviced there for the past 5 years. Having the steering rack replaced next week.

Mark

I've had them work on my '04 when I had it (on Mark's recommendation) and was really pleased. They're near you. Call them.

tjwong 05-17-2010 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by YNOT2K (Post 1574084033)
hmmm

it's certainly not wobbling 1/4". not even close to that much.

i pulled the belts and the squeak stopped. i put the alternator/waterpump belt back on and no squeak. i then added the lower a/c belt and.......no squeak????

did i fix it?? :D should i go into business as a corvette mechanic? :D

or....is my car possessed? :willy::rofl:

jeff

Jeff, also it could be the AC idler or the tensioner pulleys, I repalce those pulleys all the time, especially cars with 50k plus miles on them. How did the belts look? Were they glazed on the ribbed side?

vettedan 05-17-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by tjwong (Post 1574094504)
Jeff, also it could be the AC idler or the tensioner pulleys, I repalce those pulleys all the time, especially cars with 50k plus miles on them. How did the belts look? Were they glazed on the ribbed side?

I would agree. We have replace a few tensioner pulleys.
Dan

YNOT2K 05-17-2010 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by tjwong (Post 1574094504)

tom,

all pulleys and belts were replace last fall. the belts look brand new, no glazing. maybe one of the tensioner or idler pulleys is the culprit. no squeaking this morning on cold start, but i did not drive it to work. i'll try another start this afternoon and if i see any change i'll post up.

i looked closely at the balancer this morning too - i would estimate that it runs out less than 1/16" TIR. i also wanted to check to see if it was backing off, if the bolt had failed. unfortunately, i don't know enough about what it's supposed to look like to know if it's wrong, so i couldn't tell.

i think i'm at the point now were i'm stumped.

thanks to everyone who posted. i may not have answered all of you but i read every post and i really appreciate your help and advice.

jeff
:auto: