CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Driver door latch not operating. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2598297-driver-door-latch-not-operating.html)

mariomark 05-19-2010 09:58 AM

Driver door latch not operating.

My drivers door latch will no longer open the door. The window zips up and down but I have to use the emergency lever to get out. I have to pop the rear hatch and pull the release in order to get in the car. Any Ideas??

talon90 05-19-2010 10:06 AM

I'd say it's time to replace the switch. Easy to do and not very expensive.

mariomark 05-19-2010 11:58 AM

I took the switch out of the passenger door and installed it in the drivers door. The door still did not work and the passenger door still worked fine. Must be something within the latch compartment.

talon90 05-19-2010 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mariomark (Post 1574119905)
I took the switch out of the passenger door and installed it in the drivers door. The door still did not work and the passenger door still worked fine. Must be something within the latch compartment.

Excellent test. Do you have any issues with opening the door from the outside? If not, I think that would tend to rule out the latch mechanism even though your test points to that as a potential cause.

Cybernetic Medic 05-19-2010 12:24 PM

I assume you also tried the FOB? ... sounds like the latch assy

mariomark 05-19-2010 02:51 PM

FOB is OK, door will not open from inside or out. Passenger door operates perfectly. I've been popping the rear hatch and pulling the release after pushing the unlock button to turn off the alarm otherwise it will go off. I would doubt that the door latches are fused independently so I'm betting that it is the latch mechanism or wiring between components.

On another subject, check out my helmet cam video from Saturday's race. First time it really worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpS2vNDH1co

talon90 05-19-2010 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mariomark (Post 1574121909)
FOB is OK, door will not open from inside or out. Passenger door operates perfectly. I've been popping the rear hatch and pulling the release after pushing the unlock button to turn off the alarm otherwise it will go off. I would doubt that the door latches are fused independently so I'm betting that it is the latch mechanism or wiring between components.

On another subject, check out my helmet cam video from Saturday's race. First time it really worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpS2vNDH1co

Swap the outside door switch from the passenger door and I suspect that your problem will be solved.

mariomark 05-19-2010 03:29 PM

I already did that, it did not work.

talon90 05-19-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mariomark (Post 1574122317)
I already did that, it did not work.

Will we need to keep guessing at each step of the way or is there anything else that you have all ready done but didn't tell us about. ;)

In your first post you only mention getting out. In your next post where you mention swapping the inside switch you didn't mention anything about the outside door switch.

What you are experiencing is far from common, in fact, I've not seen it before and I suspect you all ready know what the answer is going to be. Time for a trip to the dealer. You seem to have either a partial electrical disconnect at the drivers door (mechanical lever at the base of the door is just that, mechanical, and is not tied to the door electrical opening mechanism).

Are you able to adjust the side mirror from the drivers side door switch?

You could pull the door panel and see if you can see any damage at the wire harness or along the cable. If you don't have access to a test lamp and or don't want to start fishing around with the electrical systems here is what the service manual will recommend:

Power Door Latch Inoperative - Driver Door

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information

Verify that the driver power door latch is inoperative.

Does the driver power door latch operate normally?
Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems
Go to Step 3

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
With a scan tool, observe the ext. driver door handle switch parameter in the driver door module (DDM) data list.
Activate the driver exterior door handle switch.
Does the scan tool display Inactive?
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 4

With a scan tool, observe the int. driver door handle switch parameter in the DDM data list.
Activate the driver interior door handle switch.
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 5

With a scan tool, observe the ext. driver door handle switch parameter in the RCDLR data list.
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 6

With a scan tool, observe the int. driver door handle switch parameter in the RCDLR data list.
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 7

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the driver door latch.
Connect a test lamp between the driver door latch control circuit and the driver door latch enable control circuit of the driver door latch electrical connector.
Activate a driver door handle switch.
Does the test lamp illuminate?
Go to Step 17
Go to Step 8

Probe the driver door latch control circuit of the driver door latch electrical connector with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 14

Test the left front exterior door handle switch signal circuit of the DDM for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 15

Test the left front interior door handle switch signal circuit of the DDM for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 16

Test the left front exterior door handle switch signal circuit of the RCDLR for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 15

Test the left front interior door handle switch signal circuit of the RCDLR for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 16

Test the driver door latch enable control circuit for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 18

Test the driver door latch control circuit for a short to ground or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 19

Test the driver exterior door handle switch ground circuit for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 20

Test the driver interior door handle switch ground circuit for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 21

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the driver power door latch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 22

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR). Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 23

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the body control module (BCM). Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 24

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the driver exterior door handle switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 25

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the driver interior door handle switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 26

Replace the driver power door lock. Refer to Door Lock, Lock Bezel Replacement - Side Door .

Did you complete the replacement?
Go to Step 27
--

Replace the RCDLR. Refer to Control Module References in Computer/Integrating Systems for replacement, setup and programming.

Go to Step 27
--

Replace the BCM. Refer to Control Module References in Computer/Integrating Systems for replacement, setup and programming.

Go to Step 27
--

Replace the driver exterior door handle switch. Refer to Handle, Striker Replacement - Side Door .

Go to Step 27
--

Replace the driver interior door handle switch. Refer to Switch and Bezel Replacement - Door Latch Release, Power Window and Power Mirror - Driver Door .

Go to Step 27
--

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?
System OK
Go to Step 2

mariomark 05-19-2010 08:59 PM

Thanks for such detailed advice. The only other reference I've found that a door switch did not fix was where someone that had taken his to the dealer. He said they told him it was where there was some wire chafing due to an irregular fit of the dash. I doubt that is the case with mine. Being of an old school car mentality, I often fail to realize how these modern cars can be analyzed with the right equipment and know how. I've fallen way behind. Thanks again.

mariomark 05-28-2010 06:02 PM

It was the door latch. Fixed and happy.

cartop2 05-28-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mariomark (Post 1574121909)

Enjoyed the video. Looked like a lot of fun. Thanks for letting us know how the problem was resolved.

Crossofiron 05-28-2010 07:25 PM

under warranty

Happened to me also. Easy fix at the dealer. Took about an hour.

Wildmanht 05-28-2010 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1574122864)
Will we need to keep guessing at each step of the way or is there anything else that you have all ready done but didn't tell us about. ;)

In your first post you only mention getting out. In your next post where you mention swapping the inside switch you didn't mention anything about the outside door switch.

What you are experiencing is far from common, in fact, I've not seen it before and I suspect you all ready know what the answer is going to be. Time for a trip to the dealer. You seem to have either a partial electrical disconnect at the drivers door (mechanical lever at the base of the door is just that, mechanical, and is not tied to the door electrical opening mechanism).

Are you able to adjust the side mirror from the drivers side door switch?

You could pull the door panel and see if you can see any damage at the wire harness or along the cable. If you don't have access to a test lamp and or don't want to start fishing around with the electrical systems here is what the service manual will recommend:

Power Door Latch Inoperative - Driver Door

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information

Verify that the driver power door latch is inoperative.

Does the driver power door latch operate normally?
Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems
Go to Step 3

Install a scan tool.
With a scan tool, observe the ext. driver door handle switch parameter in the driver door module (DDM) data list.
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 4

With a scan tool, observe the int. driver door handle switch parameter in the DDM data list.
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 5

With a scan tool, observe the ext. driver door handle switch parameter in the RCDLR data list.
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 6

With a scan tool, observe the int. driver door handle switch parameter in the RCDLR data list.
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 7

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the driver door latch.
Connect a test lamp between the driver door latch control circuit and the driver door latch enable control circuit of the driver door latch electrical connector.
Go to Step 17
Go to Step 8

Probe the driver door latch control circuit of the driver door latch electrical connector with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground.
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 14

Test the left front exterior door handle switch signal circuit of the DDM for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 15

Test the left front interior door handle switch signal circuit of the DDM for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 16

Test the left front exterior door handle switch signal circuit of the RCDLR for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 15

Test the left front interior door handle switch signal circuit of the RCDLR for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 16

Test the driver door latch enable control circuit for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 18

Test the driver door latch control circuit for a short to ground or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 19

Test the driver exterior door handle switch ground circuit for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 20

Test the driver interior door handle switch ground circuit for an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 21

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the driver power door latch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 22

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR). Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 23

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the body control module (BCM). Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 24

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the driver exterior door handle switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 25

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the driver interior door handle switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 27
Go to Step 26

Replace the driver power door lock. Refer to Door Lock, Lock Bezel Replacement - Side Door .

Go to Step 27
--

Replace the RCDLR. Refer to Control Module References in Computer/Integrating Systems for replacement, setup and programming.

Go to Step 27
--

Replace the BCM. Refer to Control Module References in Computer/Integrating Systems for replacement, setup and programming.

Go to Step 27
--

Replace the driver exterior door handle switch. Refer to Handle, Striker Replacement - Side Door .

Go to Step 27
--

Replace the driver interior door handle switch. Refer to Switch and Bezel Replacement - Door Latch Release, Power Window and Power Mirror - Driver Door .

Go to Step 27
--

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?
System OK
Go to Step 2

WOW!!! That was one heck of a response :thumbs:

cclive 05-28-2010 09:10 PM

So then it was a bad solenoid in the latch??:bigears

mariomark 05-29-2010 10:22 AM

The dealers part number was 088956758. If you liked that video click on more videos from mariomark and there will be some from the dash of my Vette and other Vettes.

MYMOOMBA 11-30-2011 04:56 PM

Solution!!!

Okay here is my experience...this just happened to me on Turkey Day
Problem: Drivers side door won't open...window will drop down and I can hear the switch attempting to work but no luck.

Solution: If your passenger door works fine...then before you go purchase a switch pad at dealership ($15) swap the passenger pad switch to drivers side (FITS BOTH SIDES)...IF it is works...then all you need to do is purchase a new pad switch. If it doesn't work then it is your Latch Solenoid. This part is located on the door jamb and has a solenoid that will go bad after a while and must be replaced. The part is about $169 at dealership. Also very easy to install.

I made the mistake of assuming it was my pad switch..I purchased and replaced it and still not woking...Dealerships WILL NOT take electronic parts back so -I RECOMMEND my solution above. Good Luck!

Rudy - Houston, TX

kd6awa 11-30-2011 05:54 PM

I've been able to successfully clean/lubricate the latch. Details in post #13 of this thread: c6-corvette-general-discussion/2697348-driver-door-wont-open-fixed.html

ofallonrick 12-31-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MYMOOMBA (Post 1579351366)
Okay here is my experience...this just happened to me on Turkey Day
Problem: Drivers side door won't open...window will drop down and I can hear the switch attempting to work but no luck.

Solution: If your passenger door works fine...then before you go purchase a switch pad at dealership ($15) swap the passenger pad switch to drivers side (FITS BOTH SIDES)...IF it is works...then all you need to do is purchase a new pad switch. If it doesn't work then it is your Latch Solenoid. This part is located on the door jamb and has a solenoid that will go bad after a while and must be replaced. The part is about $169 at dealership. Also very easy to install.

I made the mistake of assuming it was my pad switch..I purchased and replaced it and still not woking...Dealerships WILL NOT take electronic parts back so -I RECOMMEND my solution above. Good Luck!

Rudy - Houston, TX

I replace the switch and still nothing...I am dreading taking it in to the dealer. I check the fuse, the finger pads (switch them with each other) and still have to use the cable in the trunk to open it. This is embarrassing...anyone have any ideas ? :flaghalfmast:

Bill Dearborn 12-31-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ofallonrick (Post 1579612086)
I replace the switch and still nothing...I am dreading taking it in to the dealer. I check the fuse, the finger pads (switch them with each other) and still have to use the cable in the trunk to open it. This is embarrassing...anyone have any ideas ? :flaghalfmast:

Not sure why you would be afraid to take it to the dealer. It is an easy repair at the dealership. They don't even need to put the car on a lift. They also have a Tech II which can be used to look at the diagnostic codes that each module may set which can make it a lot easier to find the problem.

Don't suspect the switch right away just because so many people jump to it. You can do a few things yourself to isolate the problem before buying parts. If the door opens using the inside button and not the outside the switch becomes a potential culprit so swapping with the other side is a way to verify that is or is not. If the door doesn't open using the inside or outside switch then the failure is in the door module or the door latch in the B Pillar. If your window goes crazy and starts indexing up and down with the door closed the problem is definitely the door module. If the window indexes properly when you try to open the door but the door will not open from inside our outside start looking at the latch as the door module is probably in good shape. Besides these specific pieces of hardware the wiring to each of them needs to be checked since corrosion can build up in the connectors and cause the same issues.

Bill