CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Front Blinkers not working :( (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2607552-front-blinkers-not-working.html)

youzzi714 06-01-2010 07:56 PM

Front Blinkers not working :(

So my front right blinker / daytime running light wasnt working, went to pepboys and got a set of sylvania replacement bulbs, swaped them out and now both fronts are not working, no daytime running or blinkers, when turn signal is on the rear blinker speed is doubled, hazards / emergency lights blink at normal speed but fronts still do not work...

any suggestions?

lucky131969 06-01-2010 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by youzzi714 (Post 1574254204)
So my front right blinker / daytime running light wasnt working, went to pepboys and got a set of sylvania replacement bulbs, swaped them out and now both fronts are not working, no daytime running or blinkers, when turn signal is on the rear blinker speed is doubled, hazards / emergency lights blink at normal speed but fronts still do not work...

any suggestions?

Did you check your fuses?

youzzi714 06-01-2010 08:27 PM

Ya, checked the relay fuse on the passenger floor board, looks good

youzzi714 06-02-2010 12:01 AM

Checked codes too, nothing... multi function switch in the steering column was just replaced, dont know if that has anything to do with it..

flynhi 06-02-2010 12:31 AM

I'm having a similar problem with my right front. Scratchin' my head.......

quadros 06-02-2010 12:48 AM

here you go guys, car off, open your hood, turn your headlights up then down to running lights so that lights remain off but up. remove right light shroud, pass.(3 screws) look down with a flash light and you will see your front signal wiring harness connector. the pins inside that conn. are corroded clean them up and reconnect. just did mine. lights work great.

flynhi 06-02-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by quadros (Post 1574256952)
here you go guys, car off, open your hood, turn your headlights up then down to running lights so that lights remain off but up. remove right light shroud, pass.(3 screws) look down with a flash light and you will see your front signal wiring harness connector. the pins inside that conn. are corroded clean them up and reconnect. just did mine. lights work great.

So, there's a connector between the major harness and the bulb socket?

lucky131969 06-02-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by youzzi714 (Post 1574254491)
Ya, checked the relay fuse on the passenger floor board, looks good

That does not tell me anything bro, as there is no "relay fuse" for the DRL's in the passenger footwell. 12 volts for the DRL's is supplied by minifuse #2 in the underhood electrical center. It's labeled "Approach". If you find the fuse good, you might take another look at the bulbs you installed, as this problem started when they were replaced.

trynt 06-02-2010 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by lucky131969 (Post 1574257989)
That does not tell me anything bro, as there is no "relay fuse" for the DRL's in the passenger footwell. 12 volts for the DRL's is supplied by minifuse #2 in the underhood electrical center. It's labeled "Approach". If you find the fuse good, you might take another look at the bulbs you installed, as this problem started when they were replaced.

???????????? See below?????????
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...e-the-drl.html

03WhiteConv 06-02-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by trynt (Post 1574258752)

That thread deals with disabling the DRLs. After that mod the turn signals still work and the jumper bypasses the DRL function without disabling the whole harness. That has nothing to do with the 12v power supply to the harness.

Lucky is correct as usual, check the minifuse.

trynt 06-02-2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by 03WhiteConv (Post 1574259337)
That thread deals with disabling the DRLs. After that mod the turn signals still work and the jumper bypasses the DRL function without disabling the whole harness. That has nothing to do with the 12v power supply to the harness.

Lucky is correct as usual, check the minifuse.

Yes, but there are relays that enable the DRLs in the footwell.

lucky131969 06-02-2010 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by trynt (Post 1574260079)

I guess I'm missing your point.

03WhiteConv 06-02-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by trynt (Post 1574260079)

Yup, you're right. You ought to check that fuse though...

No one is telling you that those are not the relays, it's just that that's just not going to tell you what you want to know. If the DRL bulb does not light (in DRL mode) nor blink with the signal. The DRL relay is not the first thing to check.

You have to look at the places that effect the total operation of the bulb.

Check power first at the mini fuse.

youzzi714 06-02-2010 07:20 PM

Took it to the dealer, they said its Bulbs, so Im going to try a new set of bulbs tonight and we'll see

quadros 06-02-2010 09:25 PM

its not your bulbs or fuses. just corroded contacts at your front signal light harness connector. its under the right headlight. pull it apart lightly scrape contacts with jewelers flatblade screwdriver and wipe them down with a q-tip with carb cleaner (thats what i had on hand) did mine last night and all lights are working now.

lucky131969 06-02-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by quadros (Post 1574265776)
its not your bulbs or fuses. just corroded contacts at your front signal light harness connector. its under the right headlight. pull it apart lightly scrape contacts with jewelers flatblade screwdriver and wipe them down with a q-tip with carb cleaner (thats what i had on hand) did mine last night and all lights are working now.

How could you possibly arrive at that diagnosis.....sight unseen?

quadros 06-02-2010 09:48 PM

its not sight unseen , I DID MINE LAST NIGHT. why does it seem like no one is listening. the front signals and drls are on a small wire harness, that is connected in front of your right headlight ( when its down ) pull apart connector and clean contacts. thats all there is to it.

lucky131969 06-02-2010 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by quadros (Post 1574266072)
its not sight unseen , I DID MINE LAST NIGHT. why does it seem like no one is listening. the front signals and drls are on a small wire harness, that is connected in front of your right headlight ( when its down ) pull apart connector and clean contacts. thats all there is to it.

Only in your experience, not as it applies to the OP. Obviously you did not read the whole thread....because the OP did not experience the problems until he replaced BOTH bulbs.

Welcome to your second day on the forum......focus on reading, and not posting.......you just might learn something.

quadros 06-02-2010 10:11 PM

only his right side was out .when he replaced the bulbs thats when both were out. connector when corroded is sensitive to pulling on the bulb socket wires. (bulb replacement). when i cleaned out connector quickly and went to place it back in place, front signals and drls would act up (on off) i new pins were not cleaned enough (still bad contact). took it apart again took my time and recleaned. all lights on.

youzzi714 06-02-2010 11:08 PM

OK,
Got the car back from the dealer, OEM bulbs did the trick. DRL and Signals are working perfectly now.

Doesnt make sense but it works...