CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Will the 420lb monospring be too hard? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2633756-will-the-420lb-monospring-be-too-hard.html)

PUNISHER VETTE 07-08-2010 07:42 PM

Will the 420lb monospring be too hard?

I finally got things rolling with my Ecklers fiasco. I had the choice of a 360lb and the 420lb rear mono spring.

I knew everyone probably would want the 360 and say the 420 is too hard but i have no clue what i want to do with this car yet and i wanted to be prepared.

I know the 420 is meant for track cars. But if i drive it on the streets will i still be okay? I mean i'm young and can handle a bumpy ride so....

o yeah. this is for my 69 sbc, blistein shocks, offset arms, adjustable struts, 550lb front coils,.... possible big block transfer in the future....

doctorgene 07-08-2010 07:48 PM

The factory optional, Gymkhana FE7 suspension only had a 330 # rear spring. The Standard car was only 198 #. Yes you do need to make a decision on how you are going to drive the car. It's only money, buy both of them. One for the street & one for the track. Have a ball, Gene

LiveandLetDrive 07-08-2010 09:16 PM

I put the 7-leaf steel spring on my '77. (Is that the FE-7 one?) I was in my early 20's at the time and it was pretty punishing for my daily commute but I survived. Composite might be slightly friendlier but 420 is still nuts. As I've discovered with my '70 though, ANY spring is better than bottoming out (poor dampers), so you need to consider how much you'll be lowering it. Of course dampers can make a big difference here too.

-Chris

PUNISHER VETTE 07-08-2010 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive (Post 1574637036)
I put the 7-leaf steel spring on my '77. (Is that the FE-7 one?) I was in my early 20's at the time and it was pretty punishing for my daily commute but I survived. Composite might be slightly friendlier but 420 is still nuts. As I've discovered with my '70 though, ANY spring is better than bottoming out (poor dampers), so you need to consider how much you'll be lowering it. Of course dampers can make a big difference here too.

-Chris

In the 5 years I owned my 96 C4 lowering the car was by far the best mod i ever did to it in terms of looks i felt. So I can only imagine I'll want this C3 to be as low as it can go as well.

So you're saying when it's low to the ground I'll want a harder spring to avoid bottoming out more right? If so then that's another + for me and the 420lb decision.

69427 07-08-2010 10:00 PM

I've been running a 420# spring for years. No big deal. I do a lot of track stuff, and I rarely take it off-roading, so it's not that big a deal. The ride on decent city streets is very acceptable.

LiveandLetDrive 07-09-2010 01:40 AM

So you're saying when it's low to the ground I'll want a harder spring to avoid bottoming out more right? If so then that's another + for me and the 420lb decision.
Exactly, and I certainly encourage lowering (for looks, handling, and aero) but unfortunately decreasing the available travel is unavoidable. Make sure you get aligned post-lowering as these cars have a lot of bump steer, etc.

The ride on decent city streets is very acceptable.
Must be nice to have those.

The Money Pit 07-09-2010 08:35 AM

I've been running the 360 lb glass spring for years (550lb coils up front), and in my opinion it isn't too bad as long as road surfaces are decent. The car corners well for a 30 year old suspension design, and recently I put MT 295 55 15 drag radials on and have not had any clearance issues. (lowered an inch)

If your roads are as rough where you live as they are where I live,.....go with the 360's. The 420 lb may work better at the track for sure, but you'll be needing a helmet and kidney belt on the street....

KevinK 07-09-2010 03:57 PM

Or buy the dual mount, ADJUSTABLE composite spring system from VBP.