CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   tower clamps hints (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2638141-tower-clamps-hints.html)

joec 07-14-2010 08:23 PM

tower clamps hints

ok, so I had to replace my water pump and figured I might as well put on new heater hoses and the right clamps.. I know the newer tower clamps aren't as good as the old ones, but does anyone have any tricks so they work... I've heard of putting some silicone on the hoses to make them seal better.. I'm all ears as I only want to do this once until I re-do the engine...

Thanks,
/jc

ricks327 07-14-2010 09:22 PM

I have the Wittek tower clamps on for over 2 years with no leak problems.
Rick

Nowhere Man 07-14-2010 09:24 PM

I agree dad has them on his car for the last 8 years with no problems, and our other two cars with them we have not had any troubles

Brian VH McHale 07-14-2010 09:28 PM

Install the tower clamp loosley and slide it down the hose, now seal the hose with a worm drive clamp and run it thru a couple of heat cycles, while cold remove the worm drive clamp and slide up the tower clamp into position and tighten.

4440stevesvette 07-15-2010 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by joec (Post 1574699806)
ok, so I had to replace my water pump and figured I might as well put on new heater hoses and the right clamps.. I know the newer tower clamps aren't as good as the old ones, but does anyone have any tricks so they work... I've heard of putting some silicone on the hoses to make them seal better.. I'm all ears as I only want to do this once until I re-do the engine...

Thanks,
/jc

All new tower clamps on my new upper and lower Radiator hoses and both heater hoses, no leaks, no problems.:thumbs:

65 vette dude 07-15-2010 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4440stevesvette (Post 1574702294)
All new tower clamps on my new upper and lower Radiator hoses and both heater hoses, no leaks, no problems.:thumbs:

:iagree: I bought set from Volunteer Vette, much to my surprise....... no leaks. They certainly can be a pain to remove, and reuse without screwing them up.

56Heap 07-16-2010 12:27 AM

To reuse them loosen them up then put a larger deep socket over the screw so it rests on the flat of the tower then pop it with the palm of your hand so it spreads the clamp. You can pop the screw driver if you want but sometimes that will tweak the clamp

65 vette dude 07-16-2010 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by 56Heap (Post 1574712970)
To reuse them loosen them up then put a larger deep socket over the screw so it rests on the flat of the tower then pop it with the palm of your hand so it spreads the clamp. You can pop the screw driver if you want but sometimes that will tweak the clamp

Thanks for the tip:thumbs:

TheSaint 07-16-2010 04:31 AM

I am using Tridons clamps. Never any problem with them. Dont know if you have them in the US?