CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Which should i do first? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/263992-which-should-i-do-first.html)

Cya5 03-24-2002 03:04 PM

Which should i do first?

I am trying to decide if I should do Heads and Cam first or an ATI procharger.
My M6 2001 has 7500 miles on it and I am a little leary of voiding the factory warranty with Heads and Cam. However, it looks to me like the Heads and Cam package using Z06 Heads makes more torque and is less peaky. All this is making me go :crazy: My wife wanted me to add it is also making her go :crazy:

[Modified by Cya5, 7:05 PM 3/24/2002]

intel55 03-24-2002 03:39 PM

Re: Which should i do first? (Cya5)

if it were me I would add h/c and then the ati. I would just want to keep adding more power. :D If you are going to go FI, then use the LQ9 heads. The z06 heads will raise your compression to much. The LQ9 heads have a larger cc and are perfect for FI. THey are the same head as an LS6, yet are cheaper and have that larger cc to run FI more effectively. :cheers:

1990bevile 03-24-2002 05:47 PM

wow heads cam and a procharger! I bet that will get 500rwhp.

MaddMagRII 03-24-2002 05:58 PM

either way the warranty is gone, i say go blower, be different, the power is there with either option, but be different. Everyone and their mother has cam and heads (not flaming) but with the blower the cars driveability and idle is stock where many recent posts on cam and head installs claim lots of power but a rough and noisy car. Either way im sure youll be happy but in life unfortuantely, there is a downside to everything.

[Modified by MaddMagRII, 10:00 PM 3/24/2002]

Cya5 03-24-2002 07:36 PM

The blower kit I am looking at is a kit from GWP with the D1-SC from ATI. It has a different single core intercooler set up that eliminates the ground clearance issue with the twin intercooler setup ATI offers. The downside of the kit is I will need to change the angle of my radiator slightly. (I am told this does not affect cooling and all the hardware is included in the kit.) According to GWP, it is also suppose to produce a little over 500 hp at the wheels. :eek: It comes with their own custom tuning, 42lb injectors, and an 8 rib keyed pulley system. I am going to call them tomorrow and discuss head gasket life with the kit. It makes me a little quesy with 9lbs of boost. (One additional note, it is highly recommended to have full exaust with this kit.) If I decide to go with this system I will keep every one up to date!

VERTVETTE 03-24-2002 08:10 PM

Ground clearance issue :confused: the intercoolers stop where your front brake cooling ducts are. If their an issue the front nose cone on your car must be destroyed :smash:

[Modified by VERTVETTE, 7:12 PM 3/24/2002]

VERTVETTE 03-24-2002 08:29 PM

I was thinking the same way you are with the H/C first or S/C first and the reason I went with the S/C and no H/C was drivability. H/C is to hard to control computer problems and to expensive for the rwhp you receive per a reputable forum vender. I will have spent a total of 6500 when complete and hopefully like others who have the same pro-charger, I will have 470+rwhp thats plenty for me thanks. and stock drivability you can't ask for anything better. This package included a boost and fuel gauge the two gauge piller NGK-TR6 plugs and for $300 more I'm having the crank keyed. :cheers:

[Modified by VERTVETTE, 11:55 PM 4/1/2002]

Cya5 03-24-2002 08:38 PM

Ok, now I am :confused: , I was told by GWP that the stock kit hangs down some and creates a ground clearance issue. Thanks for setting me straight.

Sanctuary 03-24-2002 08:42 PM

The blower kit I am looking at is a kit from GWP with the D1-SC from ATI. It has a different single core intercooler set up that eliminates the ground clearance issue with the twin intercooler setup ATI offers. The downside of the kit is I will need to change the angle of my radiator slightly. (I am told this does not affect cooling and all the hardware is included in the kit.) According to GWP, it is also suppose to produce a little over 500 hp at the wheels. :eek: It comes with their own custom tuning, 42lb injectors, and an 8 rib keyed pulley system. I am going to call them tomorrow and discuss head gasket life with the kit. It makes me a little quesy with 9lbs of boost. (One additional note, it is highly recommended to have full exaust with this kit.) If I decide to go with this system I will keep every one up to date!
Wow. Sounds like a nice kit! Do they have a website or even dyno output of car with the kit on? How many $?
Thanks!

Dave2 03-24-2002 09:09 PM

Re: Which should i do first? (VERTVETTE)

Ground clearance issue :confused: the intercoolers stop where your front brake cooling ducts are. If their an issue the front nose cone on your car must be destroyed :smash:

Clearance issue is plumbing from charger to intercoolers.

Dave

[Modified by VERTVETTE, 7:12 PM 3/24/2002]

Cya5 03-24-2002 11:26 PM

Re: Which should i do first? (Dave2)

The web sight for GWP is: http://www.goldenwestperformance.com/

The kit varies depending on the options you get.
I will know more tomorrow. I am planning on putting up
a sight showing the install if I go that rout. :confused:

Yes, the ground clearance issue I am speaking of was the plumbing. :yesnod:

[Modified by Cya5, 3:27 AM 3/25/2002]

VERTVETTE 03-24-2002 11:50 PM

Yes it is a tight fit thats why i'm having A pro do the work. :D the word ground led me to believe that you were talking about ground clarence. there is plenty of plumbing to reach unless you cut to much off from my understanding. :yesnod:

[Modified by VERTVETTE, 10:56 PM 3/24/2002]

Cya5 03-25-2002 01:00 AM

Re: Which should i do first? (VERTVETTE)

All I have to say about a tight fit is "I have a Callaway twin turbo". Have you ever changed a head gasket on a Callaway!?! :lol: Man that sucks...:U I have never worked on a car that is that much of a pain and consumed that much time. Never the less I would like to see some dyno sheets on the ATI kit.

[Modified by Cya5, 5:01 AM 3/25/2002]

[Modified by Cya5, 12:30 PM 3/25/2002]

davidmax 03-25-2002 05:42 AM

Weve done a few head/cam packages designed for power adders specially the ATI weve been throug 5 kits with the last one going on an all race 99 coupe.With this setup some people opt not to go for the blower,I dont have the specs here at home but they fly at 420+rrhp.
Adding the ATI brings you cose to 600bhp and on a MN-6it breaks the 510 rrwhp barrier and not that you need it thats a smooth Idling stock feeling cam if you get more radical Cam,Porting,better valving,efficient port matching and a gaseous intercooler spray down(worth alot of HP) Keeping those intercoolers chilled is 30+ ponnies.
Call us at (480) 517-4969 and well be happy to answer all your questions.Ask for Nate who installed the 1st SC on a C-5 and Mike who is a mechanical engineer inventor who has a great back round in forced air indution.
I hope all that have a taste for forced air who ever does your head/cam package if thats the route you decide to go running Max.Boost and lowering your compression as not upping your cylinder pressure even to much and not lowering it enough.When its tuned properly and you have the equivalent of
13:1 at 100-104 octane and go flying safely.Good Luck.David Smilovic

For all Hi-Tech answers,combos call(480)517-4969 ask for Nate or Mike and Nate installed the 1st C-5 kit ever about 3-4 years ago and Mike has studied designed and installed dozens of different variations and he loves the ATI and he certainly knows his stuff.Good luck and give us a shout all advise is free and gladly shared.Dave.

VERTVETTE 03-25-2002 12:01 PM

All I have to say about a tight fit is "I have a Callaway twin turbo". Have you ever changed a head gasket on a Callaway!?! :lol: Man that sucks...:U I have never worked on a car that is that much of a pain and consumed that much time. Never the less I would like to see some dyno sheets on the ATI kit.
I will post before and after dyno #'s on friday I pray there good

[Modified by Cya5, 5:01 AM 3/25/2002]

[Modified by Cya5, 12:30 PM 3/25/2002]
:D

dbvettez06 03-25-2002 04:55 PM

I had the same problem, not knowing which to go with..I decided the ATI...My car based at 356rwhp and 364rwtq...We are looking for 500rwhp and will be trying the 8lb pully..The car should be done this Friday, will post final #s.. :eek: Can't wait :chevy

Cya5 03-25-2002 09:21 PM

Re: Which should i do first? (dbvettez06)

Did you go with the race blower kit?

rwj383 03-26-2002 08:02 AM

do the H/C first. this will allow you to bring your CR down in preparation for the ATI blower. then upgrade the fuel system.