CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   NX Express Gauge...where did you mount yours? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/264516-nx-express-gauge-where-did-you-mount-yours.html)

RajunCajun2001 03-25-2002 10:50 AM

NX Express Gauge...where did you mount yours?

I just started the install process yesterday. I got the bottle mounted in the rear compartment with the bottle heater and remote bottle opener done so far.

I have the guage that came with the GenX2 kit. Does this have to be mounted close to the bottle or is this the same one I have seen mounted in the A pillar? I'd like to mount it where its visible when I am driving. Have any pics of where you installed yours?

I also noticed that the liquid (water?) in the guage doesn't completely fill the face. Is this normal? Will I ever need to refill it?

jpvette 03-25-2002 11:16 AM

Re: NX Express Gauge...where did you mount yours? (RajunCajun2001)

My pressure gauge is attached to the bottle. It's on the bottom side once the bottle is in place which makes it hard to see.

RajunCajun2001 03-25-2002 06:13 PM

Re: NX Express Gauge...where did you mount yours? (jpvette)

Could I mount it in the a-pillar so that I could see it when I am driving or does it have to be mounted close to the bottle?

What about the liquid (water?) in the guage...it doesn't completely fill the face. Is this normal? Will I ever need to refill it?

Garceeya 03-25-2002 06:40 PM

Could I mount it in the a-pillar so that I could see it when I am driving or does it have to be mounted close to the bottle?

What about the liquid (water?) in the guage...it doesn't completely fill the face. Is this normal? Will I ever need to refill it?

Yes it is normal.

Does not need refilling unless you drain it.

MikeyD 03-26-2002 01:31 AM

If you're a non-smoker....................
https://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/mikeyd/rimg0032.jpg

[Modified by MikeyD, 11:37 PM 3/25/2002]

rwj383 03-26-2002 07:54 AM

the liquid in the gauge acts as a dampening agent for the bourdon tube (the part that moves with pressure change) within it. if the gauge gets spiked hard with pressure increases, the fluid will act as shock absorber for the sudden expansion of the tube. without the fluid on a hard pressure spike, the tube would stretch and be ruined. fluid is never topped off to prevent hydrolock within the gauge.

RajunCajun2001 03-26-2002 11:31 AM

Re: NX Express Gauge...where did you mount yours? (rwj383)

Thanks for the tips about the fluid level. I would have never guessed. :cheers:

RajunCajun2001 03-26-2002 11:38 AM

Re: NX Express Gauge...where did you mount yours? (MikeyD)

Mikey,

In my other post, you have your gauge mounted by the bottle, but in this pic you have it by the switches. Is this a second gauge or did you just move it from the bottle?

Where did you get the plastic mount that holds the gauge?

BTW, that setup looks :cool: .

[Modified by RajunCajun2001, 9:56 AM 3/26/2002]

MikeyD 03-26-2002 02:59 PM

I'm using two gauges, one at the bottle and one up front. There is a slight pressure drop through the line to the front gauge but not much. When I take the bottle out to refill (I do my own :D ) I can cap the nipple and tell what kind of pressure I've got directly off the bottle. Of course, you refill the bottle based on weight. There is no special plastic housing up front. All I did was remove the cigarette lighter receptacle, (the reason I said if you're not a smoker...). The hole left is perfect for the line to run through and screw to the back of the gauge. Its pressure fitted into the hole and won't come out unless I want it to. Perfect mate for the rocker switch assembly which also fits perfectly where the ashtray once was. If I want to, I can put everything back stock original (but who would want to). :D :D :D Thanks for the compliment :cheers:

Sales@MVPAutoParts.com 03-26-2002 04:37 PM

Re: NX Express Gauge...where did you mount yours? (rwj383)

the liquid in the gauge acts as a dampening agent for the bourdon tube (the part that moves with pressure change) within it. if the gauge gets spiked hard with pressure increases, the fluid will act as shock absorber for the sudden expansion of the tube. without the fluid on a hard pressure spike, the tube would stretch and be ruined. fluid is never topped off to prevent hydrolock within the gauge.
Thanks for the write-up.

:cheers:
-Tuan

boweryboy 03-27-2002 12:42 AM

I mounted mine right beside the rear interior light in the back right corner of the storage capartment.

TorchedTexan 03-29-2002 01:14 AM

Here is where I put my gauge....

http://www.techshot.com/images/nx2.jpg

Sales@MVPAutoParts.com 03-29-2002 02:33 AM

Re: NX Express Gauge...where did you mount yours? (TorchedTexan)

Waz up Josh? Haven't seen you around the forum for quite awhile. Have you got your nitrous kit working yet?

-Tuan

Slammed Vette 03-29-2002 08:49 AM

I have my carbon fiber autometer gauges mounted in the a-piller.The Genx gauge is too small to fit in it.I just mounted that one back by the bottle.