CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Original C3 alarm system.. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/264735-original-c3-alarm-system.html)

BB wowbagger 03-25-2002 03:34 PM

Original C3 alarm system..

I was wondering if anyone has the original alarmsystem up`n running?Mine seem to be dead but it would be fun to patch it all together again.Has anyone a wire diagram of it?Any specs on the system? :cool: :cheers:

Noel Carboni 03-25-2002 03:40 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (BB wowbagger)

My 82's original alarm still works just fine, though I think there have been several different versions over the years. It is enabled by shutting off the engine then locking and closing the doors; it beeps the horn when it is set off; and is disabled by turning the door key lock. It's nicely integrated and unobtrusive, actually - it doesn't require you to do anything you wouldn't otherwise do anyway.

I wired an aftermarket motion sensor in parallel with the microswitches on the hatchback. It's in the compartment with the jack. I hooked a normally closed relay to the time-delay dome light circuit to keep residual vibrations (e.g., from closing the door) from immediately setting it off. My car's sprung stiffly enough that the wind doesn't set it off.

I'm not home now, so I don't have any wiring info handy.

-Noel

[Modified by Noel Carboni, 7:41 PM 3/25/2002]

427V8 03-25-2002 03:46 PM

My '69's alarm still works :D
I just had to replace the horn...

BB wowbagger 03-25-2002 03:54 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (427V8)

Hmm..bubba has messed with the wireing..Theres cables,cut and left for dead in the enginebay.Theres cables that doesent connect to anything.I wonder if it is one of those that will make my heatingfan work again..Ahhh...One more question,under the steering wheel,i`ve found a knob,you can turn the knob from side to side,but it doesent seem to do anything.At first i tought it was the dimmer to the speedometer,but it isnt.Is it a "Bubba installment"? :smash: :crazy:

catfishjack 03-25-2002 04:23 PM

my 1982 system works just fine..plus I have a 44 magnum..it works well too!
:lol:

BB wowbagger 03-25-2002 04:29 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (catfishjack)

Hmm...A .44...Nice piece of hardware..Unfortunatly our laws here is a bit restricded when it comes to handguns..But a nice idea tough :yesnod: :cheers:

Noel Carboni 03-25-2002 04:29 PM

under the steering wheel,i`ve found a knob,you can turn the knob from side to side,but it doesent seem to do anything.
That's not the vacuum switch you pull down on to get the headlights to open, is it?

-Noel

ED DINAPOLI 03-25-2002 04:31 PM

My 72 and 74 have the original alarm system working properly.
Ed

427V8 03-25-2002 04:32 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (Noel Carboni)

On my '69 ther is a round knob ( about 1" in dia ) that stops the hideaway windshield wipers so you can replace the blades, could that be it?

Turn the wipers on the twist the knob, they should stop...

BB wowbagger 03-25-2002 04:35 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (Noel Carboni)

I dont think so..The switch for the headlights are located in the upper leftcorner on the dash,,This little turnknob sits right where the panel under the steeringwheel ends,just above where your right knee would bee if you were sitting in it..Looks kinda"Bubba" :crazy: :lol:

wes76 03-25-2002 04:51 PM

BB... I think that the switch you are referring to is to lock the headlamps in the open position. Say you were going out in the evening and planed on making many stops at different locations, you would lock the lamps in the open position to save wear and tear on the compartments (light)...Then when you shut off the lights they would stay in the up position..
:cheers: :cheers:

Sleestak 03-25-2002 04:53 PM

One more question,under the steering wheel,i`ve found a knob,you can turn the knob from side to side,but it doesent seem to do anything.At first i tought it was the dimmer to the speedometer,but it isnt.Is it a "Bubba installment"? :smash: :crazy:
Is it the trip odometer reset? That's where mine is. It just dangles there and I haven't a clue as to where it was supposed to be originally. :jester

Alwyn678 03-25-2002 04:55 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (ED DINAPOLI)

My 72 and 74 have the original alarm system working properly.
Ed

That is cool......how do you activate it?? wth the door key??

BB wowbagger 03-25-2002 04:56 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (wes76)

Sounds like you are about right,but when you turn it it has that"electrical-change-the -radio-station-knob" feel to it...I must check it out more carefully..

Chuck Gongloff 03-25-2002 05:17 PM

The alarm system in my 69 works fine. What year car do you have??? Different years....different alarm systems. Chuck

BB wowbagger 03-25-2002 05:20 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (Chuck Gongloff)

Its a -73... :cool:

page62 03-25-2002 05:24 PM

Don't count on this to prevent somebody from stealing your car. :nonod:

These alarms only honk a horn. :smash: They don't have an ignition kill or anything like that...

[Modified by page62, 3:24 PM 3/25/2002]

ED DINAPOLI 03-25-2002 05:56 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (Alwyn678)

They both work off the round head key. The 72 has the switch in the rear and the 74 has the switch on the drivers side fender.
Ed

Chuck Gongloff 03-25-2002 06:25 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (ED DINAPOLI)

I don't know if the alarm was an option in 73, as it was in 69. If it was, there will be a special "U" something section in the back of the AIM which will show you a wiring diagram.

In my 69, the alarm is triggered off of the courtesy light switches in both doors and by a special switch under the hood. There is a separate wiring harness. In the glove box, down where the jack is stored, you'll find a flasher and a relay. Behind the passengers rear fender splash pan, you'll find a long horn...looks like a trumpet. In 69, the key is above the "CORVETTE" logo in the back, sometime later, they moved it to the drivers front fender. Turn the alarm on...open the door/hood....trips the relay...honks the horn intermittantly (flasher)....when you close the door, the horn keeps honking till you turn it off with the alarm key (opens the relay). Hope this helps. Chuck

Corellian Corvette 03-25-2002 06:37 PM

Re: Original C3 alarm system.. (Chuck Gongloff)

BBwowbagger - Underneath your dash, just to the left of the steering column there should be TWO switches. One is a black knob that you PULL DOWN. As stated above this locks the headlights in the "UP" position. There should be two black vacuum hoses going into that unit.

Just to the left of that there should be a steel cable with a black knob at the end. This is the TRIP RESET cable, and is activated by pushing in on the knob. It's likely this cable has frozen over time and probably doesn't work.

Neither of those are activated by "turning" the knobs. Although the knobs will turn, they won't do anything.

NEITER of these has anything to do with your alarm system. You alarm is activated by the lock in the back end by the "CORVETTE" letters. It is connected to a horn mounted in the back, the relay and flasher are inside your jack compartment.

There are three pins that activate the alarm -- the two in the BACK of the door (these are also the door ajar pins), and one in your engine compartment on the firewall near the windshield washer motor.

Make sure all these pins are there and connected to something. Start by replacing the horn, the relay and the flasher as these are the common things to go bad. Get some electic parts cleaner and clean all the contacts. An AIM should help you with the wiring if that doesn't solve it.

Good luck!