CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Bad Experience with Just Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2648701-bad-experience-with-just-corvettes.html)

Wiot 07-29-2010 09:36 PM

Bad Experience with Just Corvettes

In June I purchased a targa top from a company called Just Corvettes. They're based out of St. Charles, MO. I actually found the targa top and purchased it through Ebay after asking a few questions and getting answers from the company representative. When I received the top it didn't fit my car. As it turns out, I have the early 86 top and what I had purchased was a top that fits a late 86 C4. Rather than return it to the company I had purchased it from, I sold it to a member here on CF; my mistake, my problem, right? I saw no reason to return it to this company at this time because I had simply purchased the wrong top.

Anyways, the gentleman I sold it to was quick to inform me of some problems with the top. The top was actually an early top that had been modified (and poorly at that) to fit the late 86 style cars. I won't name him, he can speak up if he'd like to, but he was great to work with and very understanding. Thank you for working with me on this, I really appreciate it. :thumbs: With his help I was able to ship the top back to the company I had purchased it from. It was not what they had advertised the top to be, so my request was to be reimbursed for the price of the top.

I had at first emailed some pictures of the top detailing exactly what was wrong. After several days of phone calls trying to get the owner of Just Corvettes (Dan) to actually read the email I sent (he said he never got my emails, and then he said he only checks emails in the mornings so I would just have to wait), he then said the pictures were "smeared" and he couldn't make anything out in the pictures (i.e they were inconclusive). The pictures were actually very clear and I provided a very detailed explanation of the problem with the top. He told me to ship the top back, at my expense, and he would let me know what they could do after he was able to see the problem. Okay fine. Let's just get this situation resolved.

They received the top on Monday. I waited until yesterday to contact them so they'd have some time to look at it. I was actually hoping they would contact me first. So, Wednesday morning I called them and was told by Dan that he would look at it that morning and call me back in the afternoon. Of course, no phone call. When I called them later in the afternoon Dan hung up on me after telling me if I "didn't stop f@$#ing with him" it would be a week before he looked at the top I sent back. When I called this afternoon (Thursday) he was unavailable and the representative I spoke to (Will) said nobody else in the company is allowed to handle returns. Yes Will is knowledgeable when it comes to Corvette tops, but no, Will's not allowed to look at my top and discuss it's condition with me.

I am currently exploring other means to get my money back from this company since they've made it obvious throughout this entire process they're not interested in working with me to resolve this problem. I've been very patient and respectful with them, no I was not harrassing them with constant phone calls, and yes I understand people get busy, but this wasn't a matter of being too busy to help; this is a situation of a company having no interest in standing behind the products they're selling or addressing concerns with their customers.

If you made it this far, my hat goes off to you. I'm typing this up more for therapudic reasons than anything else, but I hope you guys are careful if you're considering dealing with this company. Thank you.

Wiot

ghlkal 07-29-2010 10:03 PM

Wow, thanks for letting us know about this.

I don't why so many folks have so many issues purchasing C4 tops. I went through a nightmare experience several years ago ...

Railroadman 07-29-2010 10:08 PM

Unless I hear a different side to the story, they have been added to my list of vendors to avoid like the plague! :toetap:

Wiot 07-29-2010 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 1574852961)
Unless I hear a different side to the story, they have been added to my list of vendors to avoid like the plague! :toetap:

I actually recorded every conversation I had with this company. If there were a way I could share them I would. I think you'd get a kick out of the last one where the owner hung up on me. It was a 41 second call consisting of me very respectfully saying "...tomorrow? You said you would look at it today," and then the owner flipping out. That was really the deciding factor for me on how I was going to get my money back from this company, but I did still give them another day and called them this afternoon. That didn't get me anywhere though...

Road Agent 07-29-2010 10:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like another problem company. It will be interesting to see how this is handled.

Blue 92 07-29-2010 10:33 PM

At the very least I'd start a credit card dispute or at least an eBay / Paypal claim.

NMsharkracer 07-29-2010 10:53 PM

I went through a long ordeal with Dan of Just Corvettes as well. Purchased a driver side window that was suposed to be in excellent shape with no scratches. Guess what? After a month of being jerked around by him for a better window, i ended up sending it back and filed a claim against the credit card company. He lied in his response and I ended up being charged a good portion of the bill. They are crooks, they lie, anyone buying from them be warned...unless you physically see the part before you pay for it, there's a good chance you're going to get screwed.

Railroadman 07-29-2010 10:57 PM

If the guy disagreed with what you were claiming or asking for, there are many ways it could have been handled other than going off on you. A few months ago I had a problem with a vendor. He explained his side respectfully, I told him where I was coming from - respectfully. I still wanted to do business with them, he still wanted my business, and it was handled to an agreeable conclusion. Neither of us were HAPPY about things but in the long run we'll both win. Sounds like your vendor does not care at all about keeping your business, and has not considered the dent his reputation will be taking on these pages.

Go get 'em! :boxing

NMsharkracer 07-29-2010 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 1574853432)
If the guy disagreed with what you were claiming or asking for, there are many ways it could have been handled other than going off on you. A few months ago I had a problem with a vendor. He explained his side respectfully, I told him where I was coming from - respectfully. I still wanted to do business with them, he still wanted my business, and it was handled to an agreeable conclusion. Neither of us were HAPPY about things but in the long run we'll both win. Sounds like your vendor does not care at all about keeping your business, and has not considered the dent his reputation will be taking on these pages.

Go get 'em! :boxing

The owner is a wack job. He lies, BS's and tries to drag the issue out long enough in hopes you'll go away. I can truly say he is the worst person I have ever dealt with in the Corvette community.

Casket86 07-29-2010 11:10 PM

If it was purchased through Ebay, isn't there some recourse through them? I'm not an Ebay expert, just more curious. Sorry to hear about this trouble. Sounds like some shennanigans to me.

Wiot 07-29-2010 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by NMsharkracer (Post 1574853387)
He lied in his response and I ended up being charged a good portion of the bill.

Great. Not really what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the input NMsharkracer. I'm going through my bank and they filed a fraud claim against the company. They were very helpful and if this has happened to Just Corvettes more than once, hopefully they'll see that and I'll be happy with the results.

ch@0s 07-29-2010 11:16 PM

Call your credit card company and report them. They will be charged back.:thumbs:

Wiot 07-29-2010 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ch@0s (Post 1574853567)
Call your credit card company and report them. They will be charged back.:thumbs:

I worked credit card authorizations and fraud protection some time ago for the company I work for now, so I'm pretty familiar with charge backs and how that works (i.e. the consumer pretty much has a firm grip of the balls in the business-consumer relationship). However, I didn't pay for it with a credit card. :(

Frizlefrak 07-30-2010 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wiot (Post 1574853675)
I worked credit card authorizations and fraud protection some time ago for the company I work for now, so I'm pretty familiar with charge backs and how that works (i.e. the consumer pretty much has a firm grip of the balls in the business-consumer relationship). However, I didn't pay for it with a credit card. :(

Yikes.....credit cards are your friend in this instance. The absolute bottom line is you put that charge on the account in dispute, refuse to pay it, and don't. Tell them it will be a frosty day in hell before you pay it, and to sue you if they don't like it. They won't.

I'm sorry to hear we have a vendor in our community that behaves in this fashion. Thanks for the heads up guys. Collectively, we can stop them. :cheers:

NMsharkracer 07-30-2010 05:36 AM

Unfortunately credit card companies are not your friends! I filed a charge back and the card company contacted Just Corvettes. The owner filed a response that was a total lie and the charge company reinstated the charge on my account. Basically it got into a he said/ he said and they took the side of the merchant. I ended up eating $150.00 (shipping both ways and a "restocking" charge) and didn't even have the scratched glass to show for it. I could have wasted a couple of days and $1000.00 in lost business hours fighting it but at some point you just cut your losses and that jerk get's away with ripping off another customer.

bizaro 07-30-2010 06:47 AM

bang his wife.

socalman 07-30-2010 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by bizaro (Post 1574854924)
bang his wife.

mmm..need pics first

cal55 07-30-2010 08:24 AM

Is this the same company as Thompson Astro tops? I almost bought one from them on ebay but I read on here to stay away from them. I bought a used top for my 93 from Melrose T-tops and had no issues whatsoever, I even received it the next day. They sound like nice people too over the phone, I think they're a family run business.
Joe

RetiredSFC 97 07-30-2010 10:42 AM

I've looked at their website for items in the past but I never ordered anything from them.

Thanks for the heads up and I hope things work out for you.

socalman 07-30-2010 10:46 AM

If you bought it through Ebay using paypal (even if not credit card) you can file a dispute within 45 days

They're a salvage yard? http://www.justcorvettes.com/