CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Order of brake fluid flush on caliper?... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2651948-order-of-brake-fluid-flush-on-caliper.html)

CodeBlueZO6 08-03-2010 06:07 PM

Order of brake fluid flush on caliper?...

So I got the proper order of flushing the calipers in relation to each other (RR,LF,LR,RF).

Now, which first side of the caliper gets flushed first,...INSIDE OR OUTSIDE ???

Thanks!

RichieRichZ06 08-03-2010 06:20 PM

Here is the complete GM procedure....

2007 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Brakes | Hydraulic Brakes | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 2370906
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual) Caution: Refer to Brake Fluid Irritant Caution in the Preface section.

Notice: Refer to Brake Fluid Effects on Paint and Electrical Components Notice in the Preface section.

Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with GM approved brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir remains at least half-full during this bleeding procedure. Add fluid as needed to maintain the proper level.
Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm.

Install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit, inboard (fixed caliper), bleeder valve.
Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve.
Submerge the open end of the transparent hose into a transparent container partially filled with GM approved brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.

Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.

Loosen the bleeder valve to purge air from the wheel hydraulic circuit.
Tighten the bleeder valve, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.

Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 8-10 until all air is purged from the same wheel hydraulic circuit.

For fixed caliper models, repeat steps 5-11 for the outboard bleeder valve.

With the right rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, or valves (fixed caliper), tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the right rear hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit, inner (fixed caliper), bleeder valve.

Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.

With the left front wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, or valves (fixed caliper), tightened securely, after all air has been purged from the left front hydraulic circuit, install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit, inner (fixed caliper), bleeder valve.
Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.

With the left rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, or valves (fixed caliper), tightened securely, after all air has been purged from the left rear hydraulic circuit, install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit, inner (fixed caliper), bleeder valve.

After completing the final wheel hydraulic circuit bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the 4 wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valves, or 8 bleeder valves (fixed caliper), are properly tightened.

Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with GM approved brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.

If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleeding procedure again. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the bleeding procedure, perform the following steps:

25.1. Inspect the brake system for external leaks. Refer to Brake System External Leak InspectionBrake System External Leak Inspection.

25.2. Pressure bleed the hydraulic brake system in order to purge any air that may still be trapped in the system.

Turn the ignition key ON, with the engine OFF. Check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.
Note: DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until it is diagnosed and repaired.

If the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated. Refer to Symptoms - Hydraulic BrakesSymptoms - Hydraulic Brakes.

tmoorez06 04-07-2011 09:48 AM

Can anyone confirm the wrench size needed for the caliper bleed screws? I saw somewhere that it's a 10mm or 11mm; however, I haven't been able to confirm.

Thanks

AzDave47 04-07-2011 12:11 PM

10mm

tmoorez06 04-07-2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by AzDave47 (Post 1577279995)
10mm

Thanks!
:cheers:

Bill Dearborn 04-07-2011 01:59 PM

Not sure it makes much difference whether you bleed the inner circuit before the outer or vice versa. I had Wilwood SL6s on my C5 and they recommended bleeding the outer first. I have continued that process on the C6Z. Have been doing it for a couple of years with no issues. Which ever way you choose the most important thing is probably to do it the same all the time so you are following a repeatable process thus reducing the chance of error.

Bill

davidfarmer 04-07-2011 02:39 PM

doesn't matter.......................

Whis9 01-31-2016 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 (Post 1574899492)
Here is the complete GM procedure....

2007 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Brakes | Hydraulic Brakes | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 2370906
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual) Caution: Refer to Brake Fluid Irritant Caution in the Preface section.

Notice: Refer to Brake Fluid Effects on Paint and Electrical Components Notice in the Preface section.

Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with GM approved brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir remains at least half-full during this bleeding procedure. Add fluid as needed to maintain the proper level.
Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm.

Install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit, inboard (fixed caliper), bleeder valve.
Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve.
Submerge the open end of the transparent hose into a transparent container partially filled with GM approved brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.

Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.

Loosen the bleeder valve to purge air from the wheel hydraulic circuit.
Tighten the bleeder valve, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.

Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 8-10 until all air is purged from the same wheel hydraulic circuit.

With the right rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, or valves (fixed caliper), tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the right rear hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit, inner (fixed caliper), bleeder valve.

With the left front wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, or valves (fixed caliper), tightened securely, after all air has been purged from the left front hydraulic circuit, install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit, inner (fixed caliper), bleeder valve.

With the left rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve, or valves (fixed caliper), tightened securely, after all air has been purged from the left rear hydraulic circuit, install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit, inner (fixed caliper), bleeder valve.

After completing the final wheel hydraulic circuit bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the 4 wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valves, or 8 bleeder valves (fixed caliper), are properly tightened.

Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with GM approved brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.

If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleeding procedure again. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the bleeding procedure, perform the following steps:

25.1. Inspect the brake system for external leaks. Refer to Brake System External Leak InspectionBrake System External Leak Inspection.

25.2. Pressure bleed the hydraulic brake system in order to purge any air that may still be trapped in the system.

Turn the ignition key ON, with the engine OFF. Check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.
Note: DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until it is diagnosed and repaired.

If the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated. Refer to Symptoms - Hydraulic BrakesSymptoms - Hydraulic Brakes.

great info

Nowanker 01-31-2016 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by davidfarmer (Post 1577281332)
doesn't matter.......................

Thank you!
There is a lot of superstition still present in the auto repair business.
(don't set a battery on concrete or it'll go dead, only break an engine in on non deteregent oil, etc)
I've heard every possible pattern of brake bleeding touted as 'the RIGHT way'. but no one can come up with an explanation that passes the logic test. I've tried them all, and they all work just the same (35+ years...).
Only question in my mind is on multiple-bleeder calipers. Seems to me that you might leave air trapped in the inner chamber if you bleed it first, and there's a lot of air in the outer half (as in a new install). or maybe that won't any difference either!

Mike44665 01-31-2016 08:15 PM

Check out YouTube. A member here, Froggy has an EXCELLENT video on bleeding Vette brakes. I have a pressure bleeder and his method is the cats a**. I also want to investigate using the pressure bleeder to do a clutch bleed when I get the valve job underway.