CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   How Do I Determine the VATS Key Needed? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2652443-how-do-i-determine-the-vats-key-needed.html)

RonRock 08-04-2010 01:11 PM

How Do I Determine the VATS Key Needed?

I bought my 95 without a key. It is a fixer upper and one of the first issues is how to find the correct key. I'm somewhat familiar with the VATS system used. I have read that there are 15 different choices in key values. So I could simply buy 15 keys and have them cut to work. try them till I found the one that works. That seems needlessly expensive.

Is there any way I can find the VATS value I need? Of course the car don't run so taking it to a dealer would require a tow. Probably cost more than 15 keys.

Any suggestions?

socalman 08-04-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by RonRock (Post 1574907089)
I bought my 95 without a key. It is a fixer upper and one of the first issues is how to find the correct key. I'm somewhat familiar with the VATS system used. I have read that there are 15 different choices in key values. So I could simply buy 15 keys and have them cut to work. try them till I found the one that works. That seems needlessly expensive.

Is there any way I can find the VATS value I need? Of course the car don't run so taking it to a dealer would require a tow. Probably cost more than 15 keys.

Any suggestions?

The answer was right on top of you in the new Ulitmate C4 DYI sticky (For future reference)

Each key has a different ohm, use an ohm meter and then match it to the correct key#. More info here

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=153&TopicID=2

zr1fred 08-04-2010 01:32 PM

You can call the dealer, and the codes should be in the system. DON'T tell them that you bought it without a key, they probably won't help you. Tell them you LOST your key, you may have to show them a title in your name, or proof of ownership. If it's not in the system you have two options. One call a locksmith who will then use an "interigator" on it which basically mimics the codes untill he finds the right one (about $120). Two, buy an interigator and do it yourself (about $130).

Brett Richmond 08-05-2010 03:10 PM

Follow the advice in the link, it works.

jon0108 08-05-2010 05:44 PM

yep, just use an ohm meter to measure resistance

cal55 08-05-2010 06:00 PM

He doesn't have a key though to check the ohms. You're probably going to have to change the ignition lock with a new one that would have the keys included. Maybe I'm missing something but that's the only solution I can see.
Joe

jon0108 08-05-2010 06:15 PM

Oops, sorry. I'm actually working on my 86 right now, too many brews:lol:

ElvisGraceBo 08-05-2010 06:18 PM

I went to Ace Hardware and they were able to get me the right key with the vin number of my car. $13.00. They had a book or called in or something. It cost about $16 for the ign. and door key.

redrose 08-05-2010 06:33 PM

15 codes x 4 min = 1 hr

get a 1k and a 10k cermet pot (potentiometer) from raddyshack for under $6 total...wire the two pots in series for coarse/fine adjustment...unhook the vats connector at the base of the steering wheel...using the 'key chart' and a DVOM, set first key value into pot pile , jumper onto car vats connector and turn key to start...if no response, turn key off, unhook pots, set pots to second 'key' value', wait for remainder of vats time-out of total 4 min, retry...and then next key value, until ya get lucky...WORST case is needing to try all 15 key values, = an hour

once the correct key value is in the pots, put a tiny dab of paint (or typewriter 'white-out') on each pot adjuster to lock in, make perm connect of the pots/jumpers to the car and live free, or use the info to go other ways.

jeffp1167 08-06-2010 06:30 AM

A VIN number can't get you the code, only the correct cut of the key and generally there systems are purged after 10 years so doubtful the O/P can do that.

when the car is new and has it's first start the decoder codes itself to that key that is put in the car the first time. It is a one shot thing and it won't do it again. from then on only the original code will work in the car