CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Headlight lens cover replacement? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2653786-headlight-lens-cover-replacement.html)

CSixDude 08-06-2010 10:41 AM

Headlight lens cover replacement?

Has anyone figured out a way to repair a cracked headlight lens cover without buying the whole $900 headlamp assembly? I don't suppose there is any sort of aftermarket repair facility for these is there? Sure seems like a waste to throw out the entire $900 headlamp just cause the cover got a crack in it.

CSixDude 08-06-2010 11:16 AM

I have another headlight question. Does anyone make a product to cover the headlamps to protect them from getting cracked? If I'm forced to replace this for $900, I don't want it to get cracked again.

firemon 08-06-2010 11:20 AM

I would like to clean the inside of mine its a bit hazey

RicK T 08-06-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fred H. (Post 1574927232)
Has anyone figured out a way to repair a cracked headlight lens cover without buying the whole $900 headlamp assembly? I don't suppose there is any sort of aftermarket repair facility for these is there?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-service.html

CQRT 08-06-2010 11:24 AM

I believe the entire assembly is sealed although I've read in these pages that heat will break the seal and let you pull the two halves apart. You might also want to post a Want to Buy (WTB) in the parts for sale/wanted section and you might get lucky and find one in the color you need.

And yes, there are various overlays for the headlights, but at least anecdotally, members report that use of a film "cover" for the light lens over time can actually cause some crazing and cracking - - but I've got no personal experience on that.

It'll be interesting to see what others post. Good luck

Just followed the link above to Mike Yeager at East Coast performance-- looks like a viable option - -

CSixDude 08-06-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by RicK T (Post 1574927661)

Thanks! I also found a place on Ebay selling replacement lenses. I guess I know what I will be doing this week.

CSixDude 08-08-2010 11:56 AM

Well, I ordered the headlight lens cover from East Coast Performance, and I'm going to tackle replacing it myself. They provided me a good set of instruction, and I have the OEM shop manual with instructions for removing the headlight (which requires the whole front fascia be removed!)

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. $150 sure is whole lot cheaper than $800-$900. I'm glad someone has come up with a better solution than just buying a whole new headlight assy.

I sure hope I don't have any more get cracked from rocks, this could get expensive real fast. It makes me wish they had left the pop-up headlights on the C6.

rz2mbc 08-08-2010 01:53 PM

replacement

Fred H. I sent u a PM about the removal etc

CSixDude 08-12-2010 10:31 AM

Well, I ordered the replacement lens form EastCoast Performance along with the glue they used, and proceded to take out the headlight assy yesterday and cook my headlight in the oven. I told my wife I was baking Corvette pie.

Man, what a royal pain!!!! Just getting the headlight out of the car was quite a bit of work. GM couldn't have designed this any worse if they had tried. What in the heck were they thinking. I sure wish they would go back to pop up headlights again. To design a headlamp that cost $900 to replace and takes half a day to get in and out of the vehicle just cause it got a crack from a rock is just insane. Maybe when they build the C7 they can make it so you have to pull out the engine to replace a turn signal bulb.

Ok, well anyway, the replacement process of the lens and instructions from EastCoast Performance were pretty straight forward, though it was a LOT of work. Especially removing the old glue. After going through this, I now understand why they charge what they do.

I'm thinking that if I ever get another cracked lens, I'm turning it in on insurance. While I was successful in replacing it myself, I'm not sure I want to go through it again.

Someone needs to publicly beat the person(s) at GM who designed the headlights for this car.

Gearhead Jim 08-12-2010 12:01 PM

That is disappointing, because sooner or later all the lenses wil need to be replaced.

als2052 08-12-2010 12:27 PM

Like he said, hopefully the C7 goes back to pop up headlights...

RedVette84 08-12-2010 01:58 PM

Designed by the same engineer who put my SUV's oil filter in a spot where no matter what I do it runs all across the front end. At least it might not rust as fast.

RLSebring 08-13-2010 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1574988487)
That is disappointing, because sooner or later all the lenses wil need to be replaced.

I for some reason don't mind that so bad...

:flag:

RLSebring 08-13-2010 12:26 AM

Glad to hear it went OK for you. :cheers:

Originally Posted by Fred H. (Post 1574987418)
Well, I ordered the replacement lens form EastCoast Performance along with the glue they used, and proceded to take out the headlight assy yesterday and cook my headlight in the oven. I told my wife I was baking Corvette pie.

Man, what a royal pain!!!! Just getting the headlight out of the car was quite a bit of work. GM couldn't have designed this any worse if they had tried. What in the heck were they thinking. I sure wish they would go back to pop up headlights again. To design a headlamp that cost $900 to replace and takes half a day to get in and out of the vehicle just cause it got a crack from a rock is just insane. Maybe when they build the C7 they can make it so you have to pull out the engine to replace a turn signal bulb.

Ok, well anyway, the replacement process of the lens and instructions from EastCoast Performance were pretty straight forward, though it was a LOT of work. Especially removing the old glue. After going through this, I now understand why they charge what they do.

I'm thinking that if I ever get another cracked lens, I'm turning it in on insurance. While I was successful in replacing it myself, I'm not sure I want to go through it again.

Someone needs to publicly beat the person(s) at GM who designed the headlights for this car.

phileaglesfan 08-13-2010 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by als2052 (Post 1574988753)
Like he said, hopefully the C7 goes back to pop up headlights...

It won't since it is illegal in a lot of countries.

I would have considered an insurance claim under comprehensive damage.

z06Bigbird 08-13-2010 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Fred H. (Post 1574927232)
Has anyone figured out a way to repair a cracked headlight lens cover without buying the whole $900 headlamp assembly? I don't suppose there is any sort of aftermarket repair facility for these is there? Sure seems like a waste to throw out the entire $900 headlamp just cause the cover got a crack in it.

Originally Posted by Fred H. (Post 1574927578)
I have another headlight question. Does anyone make a product to cover the headlamps to protect them from getting cracked? If I'm forced to replace this for $900, I don't want it to get cracked again.

Cover headlight with at least .20mm clear bra. Thick enough to stay on during car washes, and thick enough to bounce rocks off of the light.

foremaw 08-13-2010 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fred H. (Post 1574987418)

Designing items that are difficult or next to impossible for DIY or that require special tools is no accident. Car companies made the decision long ago to put us "shade tree" mechanics out of business and force us into the dealerships for maintenance. Its not like the old days when designs were just the opposite. :sad:

CSixDude 08-13-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by z06Bigbird (Post 1574996916)
Cover headlight with at least .20mm clear bra. Thick enough to stay on during car washes, and thick enough to bounce rocks off of the light.

I've been told that if you cover the headlights with anything, over time it will cause the lens to craze from heat build up, and you'll just end up having to replace the very lens you were trying to protect.

FortMorganAl 08-13-2010 08:53 AM

Glad you got it fixed and for the info that it isn't an easy fix.

Originally Posted by Fred H. (Post 1574997822)
I've been told that if you cover the headlights with anything, over time it will cause the lens to craze from heat build up, and you'll just end up having to replace the very lens you were trying to protect.

That is my understanding also. I tried to buy a set of protectors from a forum dealer and was told they discontinued them for the C6 because they were getting too many complaints about damage. They still sell the covers for the lower intensity C5 and older headlights.

CSixDude 08-13-2010 09:06 AM

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying to replace the lens themselves, cause it is definitely doable. But I also don't want to mislead anyone and make them think it is a piece of cake either.

Just getting the headlight in and out of the car is a big part of the task. I won't reveal all of the secrets of the process, but basically you have to cook your headlight in the oven to remove the old lens, and then get all the old glue out and then glue in the new one. The process of replacing the lens itself probably took me about 4 hours once I had the light out of the car. I did save about $200 by doing it myself, though I'm not sure if I did as good a job as if I had sent it to RL Sebring and let him do it for me. It's a bit of a learning process, and I suspect he has done enough of them that he has perfected the technique.

I also found it that it's really easy to break off various plastic tabs on the housing, and some of the hardware is put together with locktite and hard to remove. I had to heat the three small nuts on the back to get them off the screws, and that alone took me almost an hour.