CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   best drag radial for a 800hp plus (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/2659726-best-drag-radial-for-a-800hp-plus.html)

denscor 08-14-2010 08:59 PM

best drag radial for a 800hp plus

This might have been covered before but I can not find anytime to persude me to one brand. My choices are toyo proxes tq, nitto 555r, mickey's, or M and H. Would like to get some opinions please.

BLOWNBLUEZ06 08-14-2010 09:39 PM

I have the Toyo R888's. M&H and Mickey should stick better, but I was looking for the best balance between tread life and traction and I think I made a good choice.

gorillavet 08-14-2010 09:50 PM

For drag racing on a radial tire there is absolutely nothing better than the Mickey Thompson ET Streets.....PERIOD. Just do not drive on them in the rain..............EVER!!!

99TRFRC 08-14-2010 10:29 PM

I have the nitto's now and they have lasted much better then the mickey's went thru 2 sets last year! But "nothing" hooks better! must have been something heavy in my right shoe.

black98c5 08-14-2010 11:00 PM

MT's have been working great for me, both at the track and on the street. As mentioned above, don't get caught in the rain with them.

MotleyDrew 08-14-2010 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06 (Post 1575013321)
I have the Toyo R888's. M&H and Mickey should stick better, but I was looking for the best balance between tread life and traction and I think I made a good choice.

they need to make some 19's in the R888's .

NICK YOSKIN 08-15-2010 12:28 AM

guys what about nittos nt01r?

NICK YOSKIN 08-15-2010 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by MotleyDrew (Post 1575013892)
they need to make some 19's in the R888's .

THEY do ran 10.03

cobill1972 08-15-2010 11:48 AM

For the strip I use a set the new Hoosier's. I believe they were around $228 each shipped to my door step from Jeg's. They are not a tire you want to be caught in the rain on the street though.

a/c man 08-15-2010 01:15 PM

I cut some 1.48s 60ft on the M/T ET streets II but dont go over 50mph in the rain :lol:

easyvette 08-15-2010 01:23 PM

There are a couple factors that come into this...
2) Is the car auto. (auto cars can hold most drag radials.)
3) Are you talking about going from a dig or going from a roll... (have not found a drag radial to hold my car from a dig and I have tried them all in the 18" size....
4) What size tire are we running here.... An 18/17/16?

IMHO (I have tried almost all the 18" drag radials and most are JUNK when it comes to holding the road from a roll....) From a dig I have not yet found one in the 18" size that even comes close to holding.. Almost at 800rwhp now...

By far the closet in an 18 drag radial I have found that will hold most times from a roll on the road is M&H Drag radial 325/45R18.... It is a very tall tire at 28" tall and its life on the street isnt that good but its a drag radial made to hook not last... The key to a tire holding is sidewall.... And believe it or not it drives decent when caught in the rain to a point. I even have the video somewhere to show how the M&H compares to a couple other drag radials on the market.

Down-side To stick those big M&H tires under the car you have to adjust some things... Providing you want a tire that will hold power... You need to reverse a couple clips on the inner fender liner and do a little flexing of the of the shield that wraps around the fuel tank... And just think after you this you can even get the 28" slicks under the car for the track!!!!!!!!

99FRC Newb 08-15-2010 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by gorillavet (Post 1575013400)
For drag racing on a radial tire there is absolutely nothing better than the Mickey Thompson ET Streets.....PERIOD. Just do not drive on them in the rain..............EVER!!!

my vette was my DD on mickeys in seattle. if you are good at counter steering, they are fine in the rain

tail_lights 08-15-2010 03:29 PM

:lurk:

396375 08-15-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by easyvette (Post 1575017707)
There are a couple factors that come into this...
2) Is the car auto. (auto cars can hold most drag radials.)
3) Are you talking about going from a dig or going from a roll... (have not found a drag radial to hold my car from a dig and I have tried them all in the 18" size....
4) What size tire are we running here.... An 18/17/16?

IMHO (I have tried almost all the 18" drag radials and most are JUNK when it comes to holding the road from a roll....) From a dig I have not yet found one in the 18" size that even comes close to holding.. Almost at 800rwhp now...

By far the closet in an 18 drag radial I have found that will hold most times from a roll on the road is M&H Drag radial 325/45R18.... It is a very tall tire at 28" tall and its life on the street isnt that good but its a drag radial made to hook not last... The key to a tire holding is sidewall.... And believe it or not it drives decent when caught in the rain to a point. I even have the video somewhere to show how the M&H compares to a couple other drag radials on the market.

Down-side To stick those big M&H tires under the car you have to adjust some things... Providing you want a tire that will hold power... You need to reverse a couple clips on the inner fender liner and do a little flexing of the of the shield that wraps around the fuel tank... And just think after you this you can even get the 28" slicks under the car for the track!!!!!!!!

I've always liked M&H tires for the street.I havn't had any lately but back in the late 80s early 90s there wasn't a lot to choose from for a sticky street tire.At the time the M&Ts were not out yet.Most of the people I knew had high 10 second cars.They either ran Mcreary race tires or M&H.Both tires on a warm day with a properly setup car could dead hook from a dig.Weird part was these tires seemed to work better on the street then the track.The only reason I could come up with was the M&H tires were made for asphalt and not cement starting lines.IMHO.I don't know if M&H has changed their compound since then.I'm going to try the Nitto N05Rs this time around but I sure would like to have a set of M&Hs on the side for those special encounters.;)

easyvette 08-15-2010 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 396375 (Post 1575019206)
I've always liked M&H tires for the street.I havn't had any lately but back in the late 80s early 90s there wasn't a lot to choose from for a sticky street tire.At the time the M&Ts were not out yet.Most of the people I knew had high 10 second cars.They either ran Mcreary race tires or M&H.Both tires on a warm day with a properly setup car could dead hook from a dig.Weird part was these tires seemed to work better on the street then the track.The only reason I could come up with was the M&H tires were made for asphalt and not cement starting lines.IMHO.I don't know if M&H has changed their compound since then.I'm going to try the Nitto N05Rs this time around but I sure would like to have a set of M&Hs on the side for those special encounters.;)

I have not tried the new Nitto compound on the car yet. I have pretty much come to the conclusion from my expiernce with all the other drag raidals is!!! If there isn`t much of a sidewall you are not going to be holding squat for power...

a/c man 08-15-2010 05:13 PM

spinmonster knows best he has tested them all!!!http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-solution.html

RoadRebel 08-15-2010 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by a/c man (Post 1575019565)
spinmonster knows best he has tested them all!!!http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-solution.html

Hardly on either account IMHO. But at any rate, the OP needs to provide a lot of additional information before even soliciting tire ideas. Items such as rim diameters,Rim Width,Mini tubbed,Willingness to run a 28" tire etc. This on top of typical driving (No Rain?) conditions,Driving style (Straight line light to light,Drag,Johnny Roadrace) and preferred characteristics of the overall wheel/tire combination.

MPM IV 08-15-2010 05:53 PM

Has anyone tried the Nitto NT05R? A lot of guys in the C6Z section seem to be having good results with them.

madmatt9471 08-15-2010 05:53 PM

Micky Thompson ET Streets 26x11.50x17's - puely the best:D

Nick name = Axle breakers:thumbs:

i hook real good on them :D

Thanks,Matt

autonomy 08-15-2010 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN (Post 1575014481)
guys what about nittos nt01r?

tried N01s Micky's are much better with blowers.