CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Need help wiring NX Express system. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/266772-need-help-wiring-nx-express-system.html)

RajunCajun2001 03-28-2002 10:32 AM

Need help wiring NX Express system.

I have the NX Express kit with all the goodies including the universal console switch panel that fits in the ash tray. What does "keyed 12 volts power in" mean? Do I run it to the battery or the fuse box? If its the fuse box, which slot and how do I wire it there? Should I use an inline fuse?

From the diagram, it appears this one wire will provide power to everything hooked up to the switch panel (remote bottle opener, bottle heater, etc...). Is 12 gauge sufficient?

Thanks for the help! :cheers:

rwj383 03-28-2002 11:14 AM

Re: Need help wiring NX Express system. (RajunCajun2001)

'keyed 12vdc' means 'switched' power; 'accessory' or 'key on' power. anyways, you will find switched power at the fuse panel under the passenger floor board. Remove the passenger floor mat and access panel, remove the fuse center cover and find slot 20 (or is it 22). it is not used. you will find no fuse in this position. when looking at it the fuse blade connector closest to floor of slot 20 is hot when the ignition key is in ON position. hope this helps.

RajunCajun2001 03-28-2002 11:33 AM

Re: Need help wiring NX Express system. (rwj383)

Thanks for help, rwj383. :flag

Is 12 gauge wiring sufficient and since there is no fuse in that slot, should I use an inline fuse to protect the nx equipment from power surges/spikes? Which rating fuse should I go with?

RatRacer 03-28-2002 11:41 AM

The activation switches don't carry much load at all so you can use light wire and a small fuse like a 5amp. All this power is used for is to turn the relays on and off.

RajunCajun2001 03-28-2002 12:41 PM

Re: Need help wiring NX Express system. (RatRacer)

Don't these also power the remote bottle opener, bottle heater, etc...?

RatRacer 03-28-2002 01:56 PM

The bottle heater runs through a relay. I would imagine that the remote opener does as well but I've never installed one. It takes very little power to switch a relay. The relay closes the main circuit after it is triggered by the activation switch. That way high ampacity of the various circuits is carried through the relay but not through the activation switch.

It would require large, high amp switches to do what the relay does. This allows the use of small compact switches for activation of the various circuits.

If it all get too confusing I would suggest that you take your car to Speedworks. They can do in and hour what will probably take you all day. They work cheap too.

[Modified by RatRacer, 12:04 PM 3/28/2002]

RajunCajun2001 03-28-2002 02:19 PM

RatRacer, you're right. I was confused since the black wire off the relay goes to the battery POSITIVE terminal. I'm an engineer, and black wires usually mean ground. That's what I get for using experience in place of carefully reading instructions. :crazy:

I want to try and do this install myself since I enjoy tinkering in the garage. It may take a lot of time, blood, and cursing, but that's just good old fashioned therapy! :D

[Modified by RajunCajun2001, 12:25 PM 3/28/2002]

RajunCajun2001 03-28-2002 02:23 PM

What size fuse should I use for the wires connecting the relays directly to the battery? 5 Amps should be fine for the activation switches.

RatRacer 03-28-2002 04:03 PM

I think I have one 20amp protecting everthing on mine.

Sales@MVPAutoParts.com 03-28-2002 06:50 PM

Just want to remind you that if you plan on getting fuel pressure and air/fuel gauges down the road, you may as well run the additional wires now. I forgot to do it during the first install and had to take the battery in and out quite a few times.

For the gauges, you need an additional of two wires. One for signal from the fuel pressure sending unit. The other for the O2 sensor from the PCM.

I want to congratulate you on deciding to do it on your own. Let me know if you need and help.

99Z51R 03-28-2002 07:55 PM

Under the passenger footcover in the upper left hand corner is an auxillary connector with three wires coming out of it taped up with black tape. There is a ground, a switch 12 volt, and a constant 12 volt. You can just unplug this connector run your switched and ground to your control switch and then plug it back in when your done, It is already fuse protected. And it is only about 6" away from where you mount the control switch in the ashtray. I have used this auxillary connector on the last 4 vettes I have had nitrous on with no problems.

Eric

C5Noir 03-29-2002 12:18 AM

Re: Need help wiring NX Express system. (91ZR1)

Where exactly is this, 91ZR1? Is it toward the engine compartment or toward the passenger? Thanks, man.

rwj383 03-29-2002 08:30 AM

Re: Need help wiring NX Express system. (C5Noir)

Where exactly is this, 91ZR1? Is it toward the engine compartment or toward the passenger? Thanks, man.
he's talking about a 3 wire plug that dangles from under the pass side dash (all panels and covers removed) closest to the center console. I forgot to mention this is another place to tap Accessory power. anyway, what i did after i found my swithed power is run it to a separate aftermarker fuse block that has 6 fuse holders on it. this allows me to run a fused link to 6 different devices if i need to. i ran a 12 ga wire from fuse 20 to this fuse block. i also did this with straight battery power (non- switched). I ran a 12 ga wire from the battery to this fuse block also.

RajunCajun2001 03-29-2002 01:30 PM

20 AMP sounds good. I was going to go with 25, but the lower the better just as long as it all works! :cheers:

Tuan, thanks for the congrats and for offering to help. I ran a few extra wires for just that reason. :yesnod: I finished wiring up and getting everything installed in the rear of the car. All I need to do now is install the WOT switch, window switches, solenoids, nx gauge and switches in the ashtray area, and run the wiring for all of this. Still a lot to do. :eek: But, I'm in no rush and enjoying it all. :D

91ZR1, thanks for the tip! I'll do it that way. :smash:

Too bad its Easter weekend...I'll have to put off the project until I get back in town.

Happy Easter everyone! :flag

[Modified by RajunCajun2001, 11:36 AM 3/29/2002]

C5Noir 03-29-2002 02:39 PM

rwj383, thanks for the clarification. BTW, where did you get that fuse block? I have been looking for one of those. It'd make everything SO much easier/cleaner. Any pics of it? Thanks.

Sales@MVPAutoParts.com 03-29-2002 08:25 PM

All I need to do now is install the WOT switch, window switches, solenoids, nx gauge and switches in the ashtray area, and run the wiring for all of this. Still a lot to do. :eek: But, I'm in no rush and enjoying it all. :D
Have you purchase the TPS wot switch already? If not, strongly recommend you to get any other brand beside the NX. I am currently on my 3rd one already. The first two went out within a month of each other. I'm definitely going to get a different brand if this one goes out again.

-Tuan

rwj383 03-29-2002 11:25 PM

Re: Need help wiring NX Express system. (C5Noir)

a local performance store. any auto parts store will carry some variety of these fuse blocks. the 6-fuse block was like $14, then a box of a variety of fuses (5amp to 30 amp, 5 each was $8). i will snap pics of my install.

C5Noir 03-29-2002 11:26 PM

I'd really appreciate the pics!