CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Fan Blower Speed - only High Works (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2675014-fan-blower-speed-only-high-works.html)

ffarina 09-05-2010 01:41 PM

Fan Blower Speed - only High Works

On my 1982, only the High setting on the fan blower works.

So far I have replaced the blower switch, AC High Blower Motor Cutout Relay and the AC Blower Motor Resistor and none of these have fixed the problem.

(I turned the key to Accessories - does the car have to be running to properly test these parts?)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

bruiser 09-05-2010 02:20 PM

I would check the voltages at the resistors.
http://www.europeancorvette.com/phot...77/Page016.jpg

ffarina 09-06-2010 11:48 AM

I have already replaced the Resistor - all 3 are in one unit. What should the voltages or resistance be?

BHRIG 09-06-2010 01:22 PM

Check ground(black wire)to blower.........sometimes the wire heats and breaks somewhere along it's length.
Try grounding blower with another source ,if it cures your problem, your ground is bad.

Good Luck

speedreed8 09-06-2010 01:51 PM

i would check for voltage at c137 , drk. blue wire coming out of resistors. since its the common supply to the motor from the resistors. should be able to check it at the high speed blower relay. may be a bad connector or wire. since the low, med, med hi dont work.
believe the key should be turned forward to the on position for fan to work

noonie 09-06-2010 02:00 PM

You are aware that the high speed uses a different feed circuit and fuse than the lower speeds?

ffarina 09-06-2010 08:07 PM

What fuse is the lower speed fuse?

78 C3 Light Corvette Blue 09-06-2010 08:39 PM

I just went through all of this. Replaced bad motor. Long story. The fuse is in the fuse box under drivers dash. Depending which year. I have 78 and top right I believe is heat and ac. 25 amp fuse. The high speed works seperate from the fuse/

...Roger... 09-06-2010 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by speedreed8 (Post 1575239506)
i would check for voltage at c137 , drk. blue wire coming out of resistors. since its the common supply to the motor from the resistors. should be able to check it at the high speed blower relay. may be a bad connector or wire. since the low, med, med hi dont work.
believe the key should be turned forward to the on position for fan to work

:iagree:

Originally Posted by ffarina (Post 1575242818)
What fuse is the lower speed fuse?

You've thrown all the parts you can throw at it,its time to get your test light out and actually diagnose the problem.

78 C3 Light Corvette Blue 09-06-2010 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 78 C3 Light Corvette Blue (Post 1575243187)
I just went through all of this. Replaced bad motor. Long story. The fuse is in the fuse box under drivers dash. Depending which year. I have 78 and top right I believe is heat and ac. 25 amp fuse. The high speed works seperate from the fuse/

Also I found my duct on passenger side kicked in toward firewall and loose. Aparently it was hanging my fan up. Not allowing it to run only but high speed. When I pit the duct in place the fan worked fine. Lot of varables

ffarina 09-07-2010 07:46 PM

78 C3 Light Corvette Blue:

So you are saying it was the fuse (among other things)?

78 C3 Light Corvette Blue 09-07-2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ffarina (Post 1575253022)
78 C3 Light Corvette Blue:

So you are saying it was the fuse (among other things)?

No the fuse was good. I had a hard time finding the right size blower wheel for 1. 2nd the Blower duct under the glove box on passenger side was pushe loose into the fire wall. It was keeping the fan from turning. The lower speeds don't put out much voltage. That's why the guys were asking and trying to help in that direction. But check the fuse and duct under dash (glove box). Make sure it is tight to the vent there. Not up against the wheel. If the duct is resting on or blocking the wheel it won't turm axcept on high. Hope you find it. I did the same thing. Replaced relay and blower resistor.

thiatt 09-07-2010 08:04 PM

have you replaced/checked the function switch it powers the low speed switch, they are kind of junk especialy the aftermarket ones

Willcox Corvette 09-07-2010 08:04 PM

Don't know if this will help you but I did a simplified version of that schematic.

1st.. I would verify the fuse is good.... then i would verify the fuse is making good contact in the fuse panel. Make sure the terminals are not corroded and that the fuse is making good contact.

2nd I'd put the blower motor in a lower speed.. then I would check the purple wire for power... If the purple wire has power then verify the motor ground.

If the purple wire is without power... then go to the dark blue wire and see if you have power.. The inputs to the resistor are Tan, Light Blue and Brown... so when you put the blower switch in the dash in one of the lower speeds it changes which wire gets the power.. the power then runs through the resistor and comes out on the blue wire. Knowing this.. I'd test for power on each of the three wires.. depending on what speed you set the blower switch in the dash on.

This system always seems to confuse people but it's actually a pretty basic system.

As with any electrical problem you'll need the right tools.... A cheap test light and a multimeter will be your best friend.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/images/he...078-82%202.JPG 18243

:thumbs:
Willcox

ffarina 09-08-2010 09:26 PM

Great info - Thanks all. I will have to get the right tools and do some testing.

GPGG70 09-09-2010 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette (Post 1575253218)
Don't know if this will help you but I did a simplified version of that schematic.

1st.. I would verify the fuse is good.... then i would verify the fuse is making good contact in the fuse panel. Make sure the terminals are not corroded and that the fuse is making good contact.

2nd I'd put the blower motor in a lower speed.. then I would check the purple wire for power... If the purple wire has power then verify the motor ground.

If the purple wire is without power... then go to the dark blue wire and see if you have power.. The inputs to the resistor are Tan, Light Blue and Brown... so when you put the blower switch in the dash in one of the lower speeds it changes which wire gets the power.. the power then runs through the resistor and comes out on the blue wire. Knowing this.. I'd test for power on each of the three wires.. depending on what speed you set the blower switch in the dash on.

This system always seems to confuse people but it's actually a pretty basic system.

As with any electrical problem you'll need the right tools.... A cheap test light and a multimeter will be your best friend.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/images/he...078-82%202.JPG 18243

:thumbs:
Willcox

Certainly not trying to hijack this thread but would like to know if I can use this schematic for my 70 coupe with AC. Is it the same?
Thanks GG

Willcox Corvette 09-11-2010 09:20 PM

Nope.. sorry I took a few days off.

I have one for your car about ready to roll.

Give me a few days and I'll post it on the site.

Willcox

Willcox Corvette 09-12-2010 11:50 AM

Ok.. here it is.. I worked on it last night and this morning..

1970 Heater and AC wire and vacuum hose schematic.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/images/19...ematic%202.jpg 18243

GPGG70 09-13-2010 11:02 AM

Thank you Mr Ernie,
Thanks for taking time to draw up & post the 70 schematic.
Well appreciated I can assure you. :cheers:
GG.

Willcox Corvette 09-13-2010 08:02 PM

Your Welcome Greg-

This is an easy one since it's pretty much a colored version of the AIM one.. You'll find the original in C60 toward the end of that section. Only difference is the AIM version has a wiring mistake on it! Yep.. the wires did not change colors from one end to the other as the original shows..

Thank you again Greg.. really enjoy doing this stuff.. I trying to finish up the Power Steering Control Valve Video.. that one will be nice.. But I had to start over on it and we have been hammered with Shop work so that kills me from getting a helper.. :D

E