CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/267671-what-happens-if-the-nitrous-solenoid-fails-in-the-open-position.html)

RajunCajun2001 03-29-2002 02:57 PM

What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position?

I supose nitrous will continue to run into the engine, and cause some significant problems since the fuel solenoid is off. My guess is the only way to stop the nitrous from flowing and causing damage is to either close the valve at the bottle or shut off the engine.

Has anyone had a solenoid fail on them? After how long? What'd you do?

FRPTech 03-29-2002 03:30 PM

Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (RajunCajun2001)

I've never had this happen.
But, I always run two N20 solenoids in series to prevent this and rebuild or replace the 'noids after every 20-30 runs.

FRPTech

RatRacer 03-29-2002 03:40 PM

Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (FRPTech)

I have seen a purge solenoid stick open at the track. It is a very rare occurance.

ICULUKN-C5 03-29-2002 04:00 PM

Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (RatRacer)

If your bottle pressure is good, not about 1200 or so, your solenoid should not stick...

MelloYellow 03-29-2002 04:14 PM

Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (ICULUKN-C5)

Fuel Solenoid? No problem...
Nitrous Solenoid? Good BYE engine... ;)

Most serious Nitrous users rebuild their solenoids once a year as insurance, or rebuild after so many bottles of use.. Not sure the # of bottles. I'd call NX or NOS and ask how often they recc solenoid rebuilds.

RajunCajun2001 03-29-2002 04:37 PM

Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (MelloYellow)

How would you rebuild one?

Wait a minute, I thought NX express offers a lifetime warranty on all parts and accessories. So, if they quote a rebuild schedule, shouldn't they just send me a new one or rebuilt one following that same schedule?

intel55 03-30-2002 12:21 AM

Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (RajunCajun2001)

Never had one fail... knock on wood :D If it does and you are ona 150 shot then BOOM. I think on a lower shot you ahve a chance, but better shut down the engine quick :eek:

Sales@MVPAutoParts.com 03-30-2002 04:49 AM

Speaking of solenoid failures, my purge solenoid just went south a few days ago. I'm so glad that it wasn't the fuel (stuck-close) or nitrous (stuck-open) solenoid.

I'll be running dual nitrous solenoids really soon.

-Tuan

Avanti 04-02-2002 09:18 PM

Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (FRPTech)

READ FRPTech's reply very carefully, reread, and then do as he does! :yesnod:

C5-VERT 04-02-2002 10:17 PM

How would you rebuild one?

Wait a minute, I thought NX express offers a lifetime warranty on all parts and accessories. So, if they quote a rebuild schedule, shouldn't they just send me a new one or rebuilt one following that same schedule?

http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/...withstupid.gif

MikeyD 04-02-2002 11:56 PM

Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (C5-VERT)

Another concern that no one has mentioned is the possibility of the relay sticking closed :eek: :eek: I have seen relays where the contacts have literally welded themselves closed from the sparks occuring through constant make and break actions of the relay. (On an air conditioner system). Most nitrous systems are wired where one side of the contacts goes through a fuse straight into the battery side and the other to the noids. If the relay was to stick closed..... :cry :cry :cry Might want to replace the relay once in a while just to be safe. :cheers:

Sales@MVPAutoParts.com 04-03-2002 12:07 AM

Re: What happens if the nitrous solenoid fails in the open position? (MikeyD)

Another concern that no one has mentioned is the possibility of the relay sticking closed :eek: :eek: I have seen relays where the contacts have literally welded themselves closed from the sparks occuring through constant make and break actions of the relay. (On an air conditioner system). Most nitrous systems are wired where one side of the contacts goes through a fuse straight into the battery side and the other to the noids. If the relay was to stick closed..... :cry :cry :cry Might want to replace the relay once in a while just to be safe. :cheers:
MikeyD,

It's a very good point you have there. :cheers: So what now? In addition to the dual nitrous solenoids, we will also have to run dual relays in parallel:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: (only need it for the relay right before the solenoids).

-Tuan