CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2680592-2011-grand-sport-convertible-vs-porsche-boxster-s.html)

zmonster 09-13-2010 03:55 PM

2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S

I assume since this is a Vette forum, the Vette will win out, but can anyone with experience driving both of these cars comment on how they compare in all areas? A fully loaded GS convertible ends up at $75K MSRP. The base Boxster S with the same options as Vette (and a few more the Vette doesn't offer) also ends up around $75K. So both cars are basically the same price, with the Vette giving 4.0s 0-60, and the Boxster giving 5.0s.

The Boxster appears to be much more refined on the inside, and both cars have their ups/downs in terms of exterior appearance. Vette has more trunk space with top up or down, but interior and seats on Vette are low quality. I drove the Vette (both manual and automatic) and it is a nice, solid, stable and smooth ride. I have yet to test drive the Boxster S. I have narrowed my second "fun" car search down to these two, so any input would be appreciated. I assume the Porsche would hold its value more, but maybe not? I also don't want to get into a Vette if they are going to release the C7 in the next 1-2 years...

Racer 09-13-2010 03:58 PM

Hmm, poor mans Porsche, or the Z06's little brother....No contest. GS:smash::smash:
Also, if you think the Boxter holds it's value, somebody is misleading you, It's no Cayman, it is the weakest link in the Porsche family. :cheers:

c1vettes 09-13-2010 04:06 PM

Boy are you asking the wrong question on this site!:toetap:

Go read C&D, they will put you in the P-car, but you won't have as much fun, as much excelleration.:ack:

Besides, were prettier:rofl:

Why to you care about the C7 now? Now is now!

Lebowski 09-13-2010 04:08 PM

I would test drive both. I would say $75k is a lot for a Boxster ... then again $75k is a lot for a (sub-Z06) Vette, too. I didn't realize the GS was that much.

They are both great cars. The Vette has noticeably more power, the Boxster has better fit & finish and likely better feedback and handling. I do not think you can go wrong, it will largely depend on your individual preferences as to which YOU think is more fun to drive. Do not listen to people who knock the Boxster as a poor man's porsche or a chick car or any of that, it's a good little roadster ... just as you shouldn't listen to any of the porsche snobs who knock the corvette.

If it were me, between the two I'd probably say Boxster S, though if I was in the $75k range (and didn't need the practicality of my C6 Coupe) I think I'd pony up just a bit more or look used and get a 911 or a Z06. I don't know it just seems like $75k is within spitting distance of both. I'm not a vert guy though.

pettvette 09-13-2010 04:21 PM

At 13.8 in the quarter, that makes the Boxster S a 1/2 second slower than my 95 LT1 automatic C4 was...

indyjack18 09-13-2010 04:21 PM

I just ordered a 2011 GS vert..... Cuz it's America's sports car, and I'm American

DRLC5 09-13-2010 04:35 PM

I have owned several C6s and one Porsche Carrera which is a huge upgrade from the Boxter. The Porsche I owned for only 2 weeks that should tell you something. Great build quality No torque no real power. And I had the new upgraded PDK trans and new engine with more power? I really liked the way it took corners but how many corners can I take fast? I now have a 2010 BMW 6series which I love. Buy the Vette it will kik the P car arse all day long. I should also mention the P car is very noisey on the inside alot of road noise the Vette is as quiet as a caddy compared to my Carrera.:thumbs:

Raazor 09-13-2010 04:37 PM

Porche = Ghey :yesnod:

thomastl 09-13-2010 04:39 PM

MSRP for a fully loaded 2011 GS vert is about $75k.
You can definetly buy it for less than that. How much less - depends on your dealer, color, options you really want, etc... Probably close to $10k less.

One other thing to realize is - do you just want a car for you to drive or do you want to get involved in a car club for fun cruises, car shows, etc.....
If so, check the local clubs and see where you fit in best.
For me, it is a no brainer. Our Vette club is fantastic here and makes owning a vette go from just another car to why would you want anything else. Things like supporting the Wounded Warriers (giving them rides in the Veterans Day Parade), WWII Honor Flight Ceremonies, Toys for Tots drives, and the list goes on.

TARANTULA 09-13-2010 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1575313256)
Porche = Ghey :yesnod:

Porche= Ghey
Porsche= great cars if you have the money.

DRLC5 09-13-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by raazor (Post 1575313256)
porche = ghey :yesnod:

lmao...

Raazor 09-13-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by TARANTULA (Post 1575313333)
Porche= Ghey

:withstupid:

Raazor 09-13-2010 04:45 PM

:lolg: You guys are tough with the typos :lolg:

I refuse to fix it. :yesnod:

zmonster 09-13-2010 04:51 PM

I am actually leaning towards the Vette. It has a larger trunk (for my golf clubs :) ), and I love the new Inferno Orange color. If GM would just upgrade the interior to the level that a $75K car should have, it would be an absolute no-brainer (that's why I asked about when the C7 will come out). I drove the GS, I LOVE it. I have a feeling I'll like the way the Boxster S drives when I drive it this week too. So it will all come down to a hard decision.

Can anyone point me to a set of pictures that will show an inferno orange GS looks with the two different two-tone seat colors inside (i.e. cashmere/black, and titanium/black)?

Thanks.

vettedoogie 09-13-2010 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by zmonster (Post 1575312747)
I also don't want to get into a Vette if they are going to release the C7 in the next 1-2 years...

This makes no sense. Why would this be an issue? Might as well add another year to that because people generally don't want to buy into the first year of any generation.

Raazor 09-13-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by vettedoogie (Post 1575313437)
i like pie :yesnod:

:withstupid:

redzone 09-13-2010 04:55 PM

Dunno why Porsche gets so much negativity around here. As far as fun to drive quotient goes,I have yet to drive any car that has better driver feedback.

Is it as fast as a GS? Heck no,but it handles like a go-cart,and is a lot of fun on a twisty road. The question you have to ask yourself is can I live without the low end grunt. Because the GS has it covered in spades as far as that's concerned.

I suggest you drive them both as close to back to back as you can arrange & make your decision then.

vettedoogie 09-13-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by zmonster (Post 1575313430)
I am actually leaning towards the Vette. It has a larger trunk (for my golf clubs :) ), and I love the new Inferno Orange color.

So you like the new Tomato color? So far this is one of the most disliked new Corvette colors (on CF) I have ever heard of. To each his own.:D

zmonster 09-13-2010 05:02 PM

Also, does anyone know why the GS 0-60 time is 3.95 seconds, and the normal vette is 4.2?

The GS appears to have the same engine, transmission, etc, as the regular vette, and launch control is available on both. So why the faster 0-60 for the Grand Sport?

(and is it correct to assume the 0-60 of 3.95 is only achievable if you use launch control, or can you actually get faster than 3.95 if you use launch control)?

cclive 09-13-2010 05:04 PM

The Vette can run away from the Boxster like it is standing still...go drive one and it will be immediately obvious.:thumbs: