CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   '98 M6 trans fluid question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2683565-98-m6-trans-fluid-question.html)

ColeTrain'sC5 09-17-2010 06:06 PM

'98 M6 trans fluid question

Anybody have the Royal Purple part number for the trans fluid i need specifically for it? Also how about the rear end fluid number? i want to change all my stuff out and can't seem to find it in the Search. Thanks in advance.~Cole~

I know the trans has special seals and can't use the later year trans fluid. Also with the rear gear fluid do i need any additives with the Royal Purple fluid?

ColeTrain'sC5 09-17-2010 10:11 PM

Nobody knows?

LoneStarFRC 09-17-2010 11:13 PM

Have you checked RP's website?

MTPZ06 09-18-2010 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by ColeTrain'sC5 (Post 1575356342)
Anybody have the Royal Purple part number for the trans fluid i need specifically for it? Also how about the rear end fluid number? i want to change all my stuff out and can't seem to find it in the Search. Thanks in advance.~Cole~

I know the trans has special seals and can't use the later year trans fluid. Also with the rear gear fluid do i need any additives with the Royal Purple fluid?

You're referring to the paper blockers vs. the carbon blockers used in later transmissions. I'm not sure RP is recommended for your trans...research wisely.

ColeTrain'sC5 09-18-2010 11:26 AM

Yeah the paper vs. Carbon. I remember reading about them. I also know i've read that the RP will work in mine it's just there are 2 different types for the different trans types.

P.S. Royal Purples website doesn't show anything but where the dealers are.

LoneStarFRC 09-18-2010 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ColeTrain'sC5 (Post 1575361569)
Yeah the paper vs. Carbon. I remember reading about them. I also know i've read that the RP will work in mine it's just there are 2 different types for the different trans types.

P.S. Royal Purples website doesn't show anything but where the dealers are.

Click on "Consumer Products" at the top of their home page and then "Automotive" and go from there.

ColeTrain'sC5 09-18-2010 11:03 PM

I went and got fluid for the rear today and just replaced the trans fluid with the Dexron III that is called for. The hardest part is getting all the fluids in the rear end, at least for me. I got it all in and went into a parking lot and did about 5-6 figure 8's and then drove a few miles and the trans feels like it shifts smooth and the rear sounds extremely quiet and seems to be doing great. I will put more miles on this week and see how it sounds.

dgrant3830 09-19-2010 08:53 AM

Even though you've already completed this fluid change, for the future, make sure that you never use Mobil 1 trans fluid in a '98 M6 Transmission. Those were made by Birg Warner and have paper blocker rings. Mobil 1, although a great product, will trash those blocker rings and you'll be in for a very expensive trans rebuild. Ask me how I know!