CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Removing the Trim Tag and Vin Plate (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/2701365-removing-the-trim-tag-and-vin-plate.html)

chstitans42 10-13-2010 09:42 PM

Removing the Trim Tag and Vin Plate

So, I need to remove the Vin Plate and Trim Tags without damaging them at all. What are the best ways to do this?
What tricks/tools have worked for you?
Thanks in Advance

vettebuyer6369 10-13-2010 09:58 PM

I imagine the VIN tag is coming off because the entire W/S frame is coming out? Why the trim tag?

chstitans42 10-13-2010 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869 (Post 1575614167)
I imagine the VIN tag is coming off because the entire W/S frame is coming out? Why the trim tag?

I just want to remove them off of the parts car, for nostalgias sake. That way when the wrecker comes to take the hull away, ill have something left over. Im assuming that you have done this correct?

7T1vette 10-13-2010 11:46 PM

Nostalgic reasons, eh? :D R-i-g-h-t....

WESCH 10-14-2010 03:40 AM

Hi

Those are riveted on. Is drilling off the rivets not a method ?

Rgds. Günther

Woodsters 10-14-2010 07:09 AM

The simplest is to drill the rivets off - go slow and you shouldn't damage the tags. However, do a search on the forum for "VIN tag rivet" and I think you'll find quite a lot of information about it. Summary: the rosette rivets on the VIN tag are expensive to replace, not to mention the legal issues involved in removing the tag.

...Roger... 10-14-2010 08:03 AM

Go in from the back side to remove and save the rivets. Both tags with rivets and title framed would make nice addition to a rec room wall. :D

chstitans42 10-14-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ...Roger... (Post 1575616424)
Go in from the back side to remove and save the rivets. Both tags with rivets and title framed would make nice addition to a rec room wall. :D

Good idea actually. We will see how I end up getting them off lol

Mike Ward 10-14-2010 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by chstitans42 (Post 1575615146)
I just want to remove them off of the parts car, for nostalgias sake. That way when the wrecker comes to take the hull away, ill have something left over. Im assuming that you have done this correct?

I think removing a VIN tag is illegal in most states......................

chstitans42 10-14-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1575617417)
I think removing a VIN tag is illegal in most states......................

Hmmm, then maybe I wont do it. Learn something everyday:thumbs:

Easy Mike 10-14-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1575617417)
I think removing a VIN tag is illegal in most states...

:iagree:
Leave VIN tag in place.

:thumbs:

chstitans42 10-14-2010 10:25 AM

even for windshield frame replacement?

HobbyPoor 10-14-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by chstitans42 (Post 1575617604)
even for windshield frame replacement?

Ive never seen it as a law...only what people say. From my understanding, it becomes illeagal when your purpose is to defraud.

chstitans42 10-14-2010 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1575615224)
Nostalgic reasons, eh? :D R-i-g-h-t....

no seriously. Some guy wants the windshield frame parts, and I wanted to keep the tag for myself. Is this sooooo bad?

tfi racing 10-14-2010 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by HobbyPoor (Post 1575617734)
Ive never seen it as a law...only what people say. From my understanding, it becomes illeagal when your purpose is to defraud.

Its probably illegal to remove the VIN tag from a "vehicle" just about everywhere.Now if you are removing it from a part that is laying on the ground and no longer part of a "vehicle" that is likely a different story...:crazy:

7T1vette 10-14-2010 11:34 AM

If I were replacing the windshield frame, I would transfer the VIN tag; likewise for the trim tag...but only if they stayed with the repaired vehicle that was already titled. But, I don't see any[good] reason to 'save' them. Maybe a nice photo of the whole car on your wall. :D Of course, if your intention is completely honest, keeping them would prevent someone else from "salvaging" them from your scrapped frame and re-creating your car....again.

joewill 10-14-2010 11:54 AM

yes, if the VIN tag is TAMPERED with.. that is the problem.. look up the word 'tampered'

if no fraud or 'ill gotten gain' ( too quote Gomer Pyle ) then no problem.. of course getting your junk man to haul it away without a VIN tag might be a problem?

an overzealous DMV may eventually come back to haunt anyone doing this and one may face long delayed registration trying to prove lack of intent to defraud. you are guilty until proven innocent by the DMV.. Don't give them a reason.

blckslvr79 10-14-2010 11:56 AM

You're not trying to defraud anyone or fake a car, drill them out and make your decoration already.

:cheers:

Just don't ever remove the tags from your mattress! :willy:

If you're scrapping the car shell as a whole to a salvage yard, they may require the title and vin tag in order to take the car from you though. :thumbs: I'd check with the salvage yard first to see if they care. One way around that is to dismember the car so that it is no longer a car, just a bunch of scrap metal. :thumbs:

WESCH 10-14-2010 01:29 PM

Hi

If the windshield frames are cut off and the rest of the car is given to salvage, I can't see a problem with the VIN tag. What does the salvage jard need the VIN tag for to recycle a car ?

Over here in Europe, we don't even need to proof that the car belongs to me when handing it over for salvage. Just a signature and good is.

It is the owners responsibility to de-register a car and declare it salvaged, not the salvage jard . Is it different in USA ?

Rgds. Günther

garage-ghost 10-14-2010 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by joewill (Post 1575618539)
yes, if the VIN tag is TAMPERED with.. that is the problem.. look up the word 'tampered'

if no fraud or 'ill gotten gain' ( too quote Gomer Pyle ) then no problem.. of course getting your junk man to haul it away without a VIN tag might be a problem?

an overzealous DMV may eventually come back to haunt anyone doing this and one may face long delayed registration trying to prove lack of intent to defraud. you are guilty until proven innocent by the DMV.. Don't give them a reason.

On the other hand, maybe you’ll meet Bubba in there, and you can give him a good talking to.:rofl: