CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Interior Lights stay on / won't shut off - FIXED!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2701373-interior-lights-stay-on-wont-shut-off-fixed.html)

MikeSVO 10-13-2010 09:56 PM

Interior Lights stay on / won't shut off - FIXED!!

Hi all,

I'm just posting this up because I searched on here and didn't find the answer. So by putting it up here with the words I searched for, I hope I can help some other newby Vette owners get to the solution quicker.

I have had the interior lights staying on for about 2 months now, and I had NO idea how to shut them off. They'd time out eventually, so I never killed a battery, but I had NO idea what was causing it! It wasn't the dimmer, it wasn't the door switches - it was the door lock cylinders! If the keyhole isn't straight up and down (vertical), the lights stay on. I guess there's a spring or something in the lock cylinder that makes that thing return to it's center position that's worn out, because I'd leave that thing slightly off-center all the time without even thinking about it.

SO! After you've checked the dimmer on the dash and all three door switches - check the keyholes! :)

:thumbs:

-Mike

And PS, BIG thanks to the guy named 1HotVette from Colorado who posted that up on another site. I found it through a Google search.

desertmike1 10-14-2010 12:16 AM

Thanks,

:cheers:

jfb 10-14-2010 12:18 AM

What year vette are you talking about. My door locks on my 87 do not have a switch on them.

MikeSVO 10-14-2010 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by jfb (Post 1575615432)
What year vette are you talking about. My door locks on my 87 do not have a switch on them.

Sorry about that! This would be a 93. You're lucky for not having them! :)

shawn 84&92 10-14-2010 09:27 PM

That happened to my dad a few years ago and Gordon Killebrew diagnosed it for him as the lock cylinder not being straight. I would never have thought it would have worked.:crazy:

VegasMJ 06-12-2011 04:05 AM

Thank you SO much for posting this! I just bought a used 1994 Corvette and was freaking out because the lights wouldn't shut off! I probably would have never figured this out on my own.

davearnold 06-14-2011 10:28 AM

Is there a way to jumper this out so it's non-functional, and/or not an issue?

bsmutz 06-14-2011 03:54 PM

There has to be a switch of some sort by the lock. You can connect the two wires going to this switch together and eliminate the switch.

pcolt94 06-14-2011 04:25 PM

:thumbs:On the information.

This is one of those pieces of information to remember.

GREGGPENN 06-14-2011 04:27 PM

With keyless entry and alarm systems, the key locks (and the transmitters) use ground triggers for a couple of things.

First of all, a ground trigger is used to disarm the VATS. I think most of us know that.

Second of all, a ground trigger is used to wake-up the light-timer board. When you open a door, the door jam swithes provide that same trigger. And, as long as the ground stays active/connected, the lights will stay on. Only AFTER the ground drops will the timer cause the lights to turn-off after 30 seconds.

I have to say it would be tough to catch/diagnose the door lock causing the issue by being skewed, but I can see it happening. Good reseach/catch by the OP.

davearnold 06-14-2011 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try the trick of connecting the two wires together, and see how it affects everything. (mine is a 96) I hope it doesn't screw up the alarm system functionality. Sounds like it might.

davearnold 06-15-2011 08:42 AM

Checking Dimmer Switch

I tried getting my lock cylinders perfectly aligned straight up, and could not get the lights to go off. I heard the OP say he had checked the dimmer switch, and I wonder if anyone knows the best way to prove if it is the dimmer switch, or not, other than just replacing it?

larry_lahodny 10-14-2012 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by MikeSVO (Post 1575614149)
Hi all,

I'm just posting this up because I searched on here and didn't find the answer. So by putting it up here with the words I searched for, I hope I can help some other newby Vette owners get to the solution quicker.

I have had the interior lights staying on for about 2 months now, and I had NO idea how to shut them off. They'd time out eventually, so I never killed a battery, but I had NO idea what was causing it! It wasn't the dimmer, it wasn't the door switches - it was the door lock cylinders! If the keyhole isn't straight up and down (vertical), the lights stay on. I guess there's a spring or something in the lock cylinder that makes that thing return to it's center position that's worn out, because I'd leave that thing slightly off-center all the time without even thinking about it.

SO! After you've checked the dimmer on the dash and all three door switches - check the keyholes! :)

-Mike

And PS, BIG thanks to the guy named 1HotVette from Colorado who posted that up on another site. I found it through a Google search.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! It worked...had to do it three times to get it right, but in the end, it worked!!!

henrkh 05-03-2014 09:57 AM

It works, would never have tought about it.

Thank You very much :-)

Cheers

tomaspuigjane 05-17-2014 06:03 PM

Interior lights fuse keeps burning and cargo lights stay on

Hello,

About 2 weeks ago I bought a 96 corvette. a couple of days ago my interior lights stopped working. so I checked the fuse and saw it was burned. so I went a bought new fuse and burned it again. does anyone know where the short can be coming from.

Also after that for some reason my cargo lights wont turn off. I had to remove the bulbs because if not my battery will die. I tested the hatch switch and when u press it down 12v goes thru it and when u let it go it goes to 0. should it be the opposite way??

skullrider67 05-18-2014 08:00 PM

Hi all,

-Mike

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Never would have guessed that it was that simple of a cure. VERY big help!!!
Walt

skyhawk1951 08-10-2015 01:19 PM

Interior lights stay on!! Fixed

:canadaflag:

Hi all,

Thank you!!!! drove me to the brink!!

-Mike

TheMongoose 04-22-2017 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by skyhawk1951 (Post 1590239528)
:canadaflag:

Bringing this to the top again! We've tried to figure out why the battery was going dead over the winter. Then when we had it out now that the weather has changed we noticed the interior lights not going out. Found this thread, and subsequently the key slot in the horizontal position. Turn key vertical and viola, the lights went out!

a_ahmed 05-28-2017 04:25 PM

So how do I fix this, sorry to bump up the thread, I am not sure how to fix it. I have this problem and it's been killing my battery :( Please guys!

The dash lights are on, the under knees steering wheel and passenger footwell are on... the rear view both lights are on (those get hot and were the primary ones to kill the battery, I unplugged the switch so that helped...)

Fatbloke-Dim 07-11-2019 02:39 PM

Having same issues, but with only the cargo/storage area on my '93 convertible. Seems to kill the battery in about 5-6 hours ,which seems a bit quick to me. No other interior lights on, and with tonneau cover either open or closed ,and doors closed ,too.These lights get very hot, and they're not a great deal of use anyhoo ,and because they point backwards and are hard to see from outside the car ,may have been going on for years. Last resort is taking bulbs out ,but don't know if there's anything else I can't see may be on the same circuit , which may be sucking down volts, too.

Edit.......turns out ALL the interior lights stay on. Just never noticed the ones in the doors, as they point downwards, making 'em hard to see , and they ain't all that bright to start with ,at least, not in daylight.