CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   What shocks to buy for Street driven 07 Coupe. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2729242-what-shocks-to-buy-for-street-driven-07-coupe.html)

studiovette 11-25-2010 01:00 PM

What shocks to buy for Street driven 07 Coupe.

I am upgrading to the Z51 sway bars and want to do the shocks at the same time. Does it make sense to go with either Z51 or Z06 shocks for like 150-200$ Or will spending 400$ on a set of aftermarkets like Bilsteins be better off? I see many members who take the Z06 or Z51 shocks off and upgrade so this might be saying something. Or should I be focusing my attn. somewhere else like a tunnel plate? I also have the F55 option so not sure if I still have stock shocks or a little better
:bigears

wallyj 11-25-2010 02:10 PM

I have a tunnel plate which made no difference I could feel. My Koni FSD's however are great. My car is a Z51 and they made improvements in control on less than smooth surfaces and just made the car feel better connected to the road. They also took a little of the harsh edge off.

RicK T 11-25-2010 02:54 PM

(Never mind. I missed that you have F55 so my suggestion wasn't right.)

Ragtop 99 11-25-2010 03:14 PM

Bilstein sports are what Z51 owners pick if they are switching to Bilsteins.

Tunnel plate does help the car feel a tiny bit more rigid; it reduced roof creak for me. However it is not a handling mod like shocks.

AORoads 11-25-2010 07:37 PM

not trying to dissuade you, but you have an expensive suspension system w. the F55 shocks. improving handling with the sway bars may be all you need. sway bars do change handling and ride. you may want to try just the bars first and then decide if you want to throw out the F55 shocks for something else.

Gearhead Jim 11-25-2010 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1576034701)
not trying to dissuade you, but you have an expensive suspension system w. the F55 shocks. improving handling with the sway bars may be all you need. sway bars do change handling and ride. you may want to try just the bars first and then decide if you want to throw out the F55 shocks for something else.

:iagree:

You have a good shock system for touring and moderate performance driving right now. Adding the Z51 sways gives what most people consider a very nice all-round setup.

If you are going to use the car mostly for track use, that would be a different story.

studiovette 11-25-2010 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1576034701)

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1576035292)
:iagree:

You have a good shock system for touring and moderate performance driving right now. Adding the Z51 sways gives what most people consider a very nice all-round setup.

If you are going to use the car mostly for track use, that would be a different story.

Sounds good to me! I didn't look at it that way. Maybe I'll spend the $$ on a tunnel plate but I'm also not convinced that it makes a difference. Maybe in heat transfer only .

Gene Culley 11-25-2010 09:35 PM

I certainly agree. I would start out with the Z51 sway bars and go from there. I do offer them with the PFADT poly bushings.

KP08 11-25-2010 11:42 PM

I have an 08 Z51 Vert and I can tell you that the tunnel plate does add some stiffness, but does not make a noticeable difference in handling. In my car I noticed less cowl shake in irregular roads, but the really neat thing is the insulation that cuts the heat down about in half.

Really nice !

Bill Curlee 11-26-2010 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gene Culley (Post 1576035500)
I certainly agree. I would start out with the Z51 sway bars and go from there. I do offer them with the PFADT poly bushings.

I agree with the TRY THE SWAY BARS and see if that makes a difference. Having a C5 ZO6 with rubber sway bars and as hard as I drive the car, the rubber bushings go thru hell. Purchase Genes poly bushings for your improvement. You will not look back

The F-55 System is suppose to be a great improvement over the F-45. With the proper adjustments to the suspension, you may see the differences that you desire.

Bill

george vee 12-01-2010 12:28 AM

I put z51 bars with poly bushings and bilstein sport shocks on my stock 08 vert and the car handles completely different, flat cornering and does not wallow after hitting dips in the road. Vert rides a bit harder on the streets, but on the highways rides great.

07MontRedcp 12-01-2010 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by wallyj (Post 1576033056)
I have a tunnel plate which made no difference I could feel. My Koni FSD's however are great. My car is a Z51 and they made improvements in control on less than smooth surfaces and just made the car feel better connected to the road. They also took a little of the harsh edge off.

:iagree:Exactly the same effect for me.

BJK