CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   HEI with Tri Power? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/2736646-hei-with-tri-power.html)

The13Bats 12-07-2010 09:57 PM

HEI with Tri Power?

Okay,
For lots of silly reasons I want to run 3 2's on my big block, I am sure for budget reasons I will use some aftermarket intake, I am guessing from looking at a few pictures the answer to my question, but will an HEI fit with any tri powers?

Many thanks,
Cheers,
P.

Billysvette 12-07-2010 10:28 PM

Why do you want tripower?its doesnt running any better then one carb,and its harder to setup and synchronize them . Most people that had them changed over to a single carb.I think maybe you should research this a little more. and this decision could cost you alot more money ,please think about this. :cheers:

The13Bats 12-07-2010 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Billysvette (Post 1576149330)
Why do you want tripower?its doesnt running any better then one carb,and its harder to setup and synchronize them . Most people that had them changed over to a single carb.I think maybe you should research this a little more. and this decision could cost you alot more money ,please think about this. :cheers:

"it's doesnt running any better" .....:skep::lolg:

Fact is that one carb will do better than a tri power in most all cases...as far as all out performance goes.

Like I posted there are all kinds of silly reasons I want to run one, ( I have been adjusting multi carbs over 25 years..no problem )

How would you know how much I researched this? :willy:

I was curious if any of the intakes will allow an HEI I do not believe so unless it's the small aftermarket ones....

milo30 12-07-2010 11:30 PM

I want a tri power too but just can't justify the money with everything else the car needs. Not sure about stock intakes but try contacting Barry Grant. They are suppose to have good tri power setups. Let us know what you find out.

HamadUP 12-08-2010 12:11 AM

To annswer your original question : if you are talking about Barry Grant setup, then no, HEI distros will not fit.

Phil Zell 12-08-2010 08:43 AM

8360 MSD will probably work

Curby 12-08-2010 09:22 AM

:iagree:

I run the MSD Pro billett with the MSD-6AL box and really like it.

No issues with spark here!

bucky-katt 12-08-2010 09:25 AM

i'd do a tri power setup on my small block if i had the cash, for the cool factor. for the record i have tuned motors with 6 carburetors on them......used to do it for a living when working on honda cycles.

Billysvette 12-08-2010 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by The13Bats (Post 1576149621)
"it's doesnt running any better" .....:skep::lolg:

Fact is that one carb will do better than a tri power in most all cases...as far as all out performance goes.

Like I posted there are all kinds of silly reasons I want to run one, ( I have been adjusting multi carbs over 25 years..no problem )

How would you know how much I researched this? :willy:

I was curious if any of the intakes will allow an HEI I do not believe so unless it's the small aftermarket ones....

Bats are you giving me a hissy fit over trying to help you:nono: Im not one of those people that always dogs you over stuff,ive always tried to help you and ai agree with you most times about customs,what gives :toetap: I do know that a 4 barrel does run better then a 3 duece,its been researched about alot before in all the mags.I thought it was common knowledge.Maybe the new barry grants are better i dont know ,thats why i said maybe you should research it somemore,but if its just because you like the setup,then go for it,i was just trying to help you bro. one of the problems with the old 3 dueces was they would always get out of sink,you had to constantly mess with them.I remember that way back when ,when my buddys were running them,no thank you.I wasnt calling you stupid ,that you dont know nothing,just find out more opinions.I will know next time not to give you any opinions.:leaving:

The13Bats 12-08-2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Billysvette (Post 1576155477)
Bats are you giving me a hissy fit over trying to help you:nono: Im not one of those people that always dogs you over stuff,ive always tried to help you and ai agree with you most times about customs,what gives :toetap: I do know that a 4 barrel does run better then a 3 duece,its been researched about alot before in all the mags.I thought it was common knowledge.Maybe the new barry grants are better i dont know ,thats why i said maybe you should research it somemore,but if its just because you like the setup,then go for it,i was just trying to help you bro. one of the problems with the old 3 dueces was they would always get out of sink,you had to constantly mess with them.I remember that way back when ,when my buddys were running them,no thank you.I wasnt calling you stupid ,that you dont know nothing,just find out more opinions.I will know next time not to give you any opinions.:leaving:

Hissy fit...lol....is that what a happens when a snake finds out his wife is cheating on him? :rofl:

forums do not upset me......I see this happen many times on forum, someone makes a remark...that doesn't help the question at all then when someone kicks back...( in the vein of fun ) but the person who first dished it out cant take it....
Sorry I upset you I figured that since you run a blower on a street car you would be open for induction foolishness... :cheers:

Now to get back to the subject matter, my guess is your buddies didn't know how to tune the set ups to start with, that is not a slam, tuning multi carbs can be tricky, try getting 8 strombergs happy....
There is more than one way to run 3 2's, I want to set mine up to be running off the center carb most of the time, ( some people blocked off the end carbs ) the end carbs will open under throttle something like the secondary do in a 4 barrel, this will be great for my car a cruiser...the intake will give me wow at shows and cruises, nope, it will not yield top HP performance. :ack:

I looked into it and nope, the big body HEI's will not fit but you can get small body HEI's like this fellow offers,

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

Or make one yourself,

I see people saying tri powers are costly...sure if you go vintage GM or new but root around CL and swap meets I can make it happen for not much more than a good 4 barrel and intake....

milo30 12-08-2010 06:29 PM

I want a tri power for the same reasons and have been looking but can't find a really good deal on one for a bb yet. Do you have a sb? if so here's one I found http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/2083573048.html

TheSkunkWorks 12-08-2010 09:30 PM

Firstly, OEM HEI dizzy will absolutely fit with OEM BB Tri-power (:yesnod:, with the breather too), but not with the ignition shield box.

Secondly, IMOE tuning "trips" isn't any more difficult (fundamentally) than tuning a 4v, and properly setup are capable of delivering both stout performance and amazing economy (if you can keep your foot out of the 2nds). The biggest mistake poeple make is misunderstanding and then trying to re-invent the OEM secondary linkage system. Think of 3x2 as one carb with separately isolated secondaries, set them all up according to "the book", install the weakest secondary springs (always use the same for both diaphragms) which don't cause bog at WOT under load, and you'll be good to go.

As far as costs, expect to spend ~$2-3K for a complete C3 setup in good condition. Intake alone will likely set you back $1K.

BTW, I still have a few renew kits for them if anyone is interested. The spring kit is Holley # 20-13 (2 required).

:cheers:
TSW

427SIXPACK 12-08-2010 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks (Post 1576159140)
Firstly, OEM HEI dizzy will absolutely fit with OEM BB Tri-power (:yesnod:, with the breather too), but not with the ignition shield box.

Secondly, IMOE tuning "trips" isn't any more difficult (fundamentally) than tuning a 4v, and properly setup are capable of delivering both stout performance and amazing economy (if you can keep your foot out of the 2nds). The biggest mistake poeple make is misunderstanding and then trying to re-invent the OEM secondary linkage system. Think of 3x2 as one carb with separately isolated secondaries, set them all up according to "the book", install the weakest secondary springs (always use the same for both diaphragms) which don't cause bog at WOT under load, and you'll be good to go.

As far as costs, expect to spend ~$2-3K for a complete C3 setup in good condition. Intake alone will likely set you back $1K.

BTW, I still have a few renew kits for them if anyone is interested. The spring kit is Holley # 20-13 (2 required).

TSW

What does the "RENEW KIT" include & how much are you asking !!!

P.S..............F.Y.I ............There's NOTHING like 3 DUCES !!!

TheSkunkWorks 12-08-2010 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK (Post 1576159215)
What does the "RENEW KIT" include & how much are you asking !!!

P.S..............F.Y.I ............There's NOTHING like 3 DUCES !!!

Will PM you.

The13Bats 12-08-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks (Post 1576159140)

TSW

You worded it different but that is how I wanna tune/run mine, some people who actually do not know the tri power believe all carbs open together the same....You know what they say...a picture is worth a 1000 words...seeing is believing...show me..etc,
I wanna see a picture of a tri power with carbs and stock size HEI installed...that would be cool if it fits...as far as 2-3k for a tri power, like I said sure if a person wants all the purist stock GM bologna and cheese but I know I can do it way cheaper....I will be sure to brag how cheap I do it when it happens...it's all about rooting round for that great buy.

Oh dear...is there a rat hair in my tuna salad...tons of aftermarket SB tri powers but I do not see any bb after market tri powers...tell me it isnt so....

TheSkunkWorks 12-08-2010 10:28 PM

Sorry, don't have any pics of my last 3x2 w/HEI setup (sold) or I'd share...

milo30 12-09-2010 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by The13Bats (Post 1576159563)

Oh dear...is there a rat hair in my tuna salad...tons of aftermarket SB tri powers but I do not see any bb after market tri powers...tell me it isnt so....

I've been looking for months and all that I am finding for a BB is $2500 and up originals and Barry Grant triple deuce. I heard that Edelbrock made one but can't find it for sale any more. Good luck in the search.

bucky-katt 12-09-2010 01:25 AM

as much as i love the look of the tri power, my smallblock is going to get the Professional Products ez tune injection. if this car werent going to be a regular daily driver i might go for it but i plan on putting 10-15,000 miles a year on this car, including 2 trips a year to visit friends and family back in Connecticut.

The13Bats 12-20-2010 02:33 AM

what did people do before fuel injection...fear daily driving? :D

Anyhoo,
So after a whole lot of looking and asking there are no aftermarket tri power intakes for the BB that are not wickedly overpriced,
Even the GM copy is over a grand....:lolg:

Barry Grant offeres a sweet modern set up with demon carbs that removed all the holley faults, not cheap but not too bad if you shop around.

But cost might keep me from a tri power....

WESCH 12-20-2010 03:02 AM

Hi

As little as I know, the Barry tripower is very different from the GM tripower. Barry is progressive linkage double ( actually tripple ) pumper where the GM is vacuum 2ndaries.

Not sure about the Garry setup, but if it is like the ordinary holleys, then DP setups are thirsty .

I am very happy with the original GM tripower after having driven several Holley DP carbs.

Rgds. Günther