CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   Any Suburban/Yukon owners out there? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/2739015-any-suburban-yukon-owners-out-there.html)

dallas916 12-12-2010 07:10 AM

Any Suburban/Yukon owners out there?

Now that my ZR-1 is in the hands of another lucky guy I need to get on to other cars' issues. I bought a 2005 Suburban with the AUTORIDE suspension system. The SERVICE RIDE CONTROL light is constantly on and I don't think the system works at all. The little "bags" in the rear look dried out and I don't know if the pump even comes on. The grounding point for several of the wires to the system looks pretty crappy. I don't know where the fuse is for the pump.

BUT...if this system is dead I do not want to pay for a new pump or those very, very expensive shocks. This is another bs GM pice of unneccesary gimmickry that is far more complex than it needs to be (even more than our adjustable vette system). SO...has anyone here replaced the autoride with a standard HD shock setup?

VetteMed 12-12-2010 09:24 AM

probably will find some advice on this over at fullsizechevy.com or gmfullsize.com . I don't see a reason why you couldn't put standard shocks in there, and have a PCM flash to eliminate the codes.

8388 12-12-2010 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by dallas916 (Post 1576189409)
Now that my ZR-1 is in the hands of another lucky guy I need to get on to other cars' issues. I bought a 2005 Suburban with the AUTORIDE suspension system. The SERVICE RIDE CONTROL light is constantly on and I don't think the system works at all. The little "bags" in the rear look dried out and I don't know if the pump even comes on. The grounding point for several of the wires to the system looks pretty crappy. I don't know where the fuse is for the pump.

BUT...if this system is dead I do not want to pay for a new pump or those very, very expensive shocks. This is another bs GM pice of unneccesary gimmickry that is far more complex than it needs to be (even more than our adjustable vette system). SO...has anyone here replaced the autoride with a standard HD shock setup?

You can always go with a universal (rear) air shock system, only draw back is that you manually have to change the pressure, but that isn't really much of an issue. Ebay has them for your vehicle for under $62.00

rudolph schenker 12-12-2010 11:17 AM

:lurk:

CorsoZ06 12-12-2010 12:41 PM

I have a 2500 Suburban with Autoride. You can't hear the pump, at least I can't on my truck. You would know if it is working however, because the rear should be significantly higher a coule mins. after pulling out of your garage. Have access to a trailer with a fairly heavy tounge? Put it on your hitch, as the rear sags, see if the Autoride will level it out. If not, you have a problem.

dallas916 12-12-2010 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4DRLS6 (Post 1576192256)
I have a 2500 Suburban with Autoride. You can't hear the pump, at least I can't on my truck. You would know if it is working however, because the rear should be significantly higher a coule mins. after pulling out of your garage. Have access to a trailer with a fairly heavy tounge? Put it on your hitch, as the rear sags, see if the Autoride will level it out. If not, you have a problem.

Hmmmmm....I parked it on my incline driveway and don't see anything happening. :(

Graybeard ZR1 12-13-2010 05:41 PM

I've got an 03' 1500 2wd Suburban with close to 200Kmi. on it, and the original shocks.
I'm not sure which system is on it, and don't have the original build sheet or window sticker. But the (really large) rear shocks still do a good job of keeping it level, (with 500lbs. of gear on board usually.), even though I don't think the are the "air ride" type.
No codes or lights, but I sure would like to replace them as the overall ride quality has deteriorated.
Anything you guys might know, or to steer us to the right resource would be appreciated, TIA.

dallas916 12-13-2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1 (Post 1576205272)
I've got an 03' 1500 2wd Suburban with close to 200Kmi. on it, and the original shocks.
I'm not sure which system is on it, and don't have the original build sheet or window sticker. But the (really large) rear shocks still do a good job of keeping it level, (with 500lbs. of gear on board usually.), even though I don't think the are the "air ride" type.
No codes or lights, but I sure would like to replace them as the overall ride quality has deteriorated.
Anything you guys might know, or to steer us to the right resource would be appreciated, TIA.

If you look at your left rear frame just behind the wheel do you see a pump attached to the outside of the frame? Oh...if you have the shield you probably can't see it from straight in...need to look up from under.