CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   What's the deal with the Jake Skull? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2747857-whats-the-deal-with-the-jake-skull.html)

hanks10GS 12-27-2010 06:56 PM

What's the deal with the Jake Skull?

OK, I may regret putting this out there but here goes: What's the deal with the Jake Skull? I dont get it. Am I missing something?

06 C6 vert 12-27-2010 06:58 PM

Its the logo for the Race vette program.

BearZ06 12-27-2010 07:00 PM

http://badboyvettes.com/about

QUAKEJAKE 12-27-2010 07:03 PM

I recall reading that it's likeness was sketched out on a napkin by one of team Corvettes members .Other members liked it and the rest is history. IMO must be the Grim Reaper thing, seeing that coming at you in the rv mirror of your Porsche.

funymuny 12-27-2010 07:11 PM

Thanks for asking that. I did not know either but just never asked the question.

jpuli28 12-27-2010 07:23 PM

You wont find many aftermarket parts with him on it, GM is REAL picky who they release the rights to! However, you can improvise and make your own :thumbs:

saplumr 12-27-2010 07:30 PM

Some love it...some think it's goofy.

timd38 12-27-2010 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by saplumr (Post 1576337386)
Some love it...some think it's goofy.

I agree, I like it, but sometimes it is over used.

hawkgfr 12-27-2010 07:36 PM

They stir wolfdogs loins. ;)

EVRose 12-27-2010 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by hawkgfr (Post 1576337450)
They stir wolfdogs loins. ;)

You beat me. I was gonna say something along those lines.:rofl:

saplumr 12-27-2010 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by timd38 (Post 1576337417)
I agree, I like it, but sometimes it is over used.

When it shows up on a guys hoodliner, floormats, shifter knob, console cover, chicklets and on and on and on....yeah it gets overdone really quick.

jetske 12-27-2010 07:53 PM

Jake originated from Pratt & Miller Racing. We visited P&M with the Corvette Pace Car Registry reunion last September and they explained the story. Here is what I remember…

Pratt & Miller is responsible for the C6R Racing program. A semi driver came up with the idea of “take no prisoners” when they started to win a few races, and started to draw a pirate skull and crossbones and place them in strategic places on race day. He then had some skull and crossbones decals made, and started randomly placing them on various parts of the race car before the race. It was meant as a camaraderie building exercise to underscore the “take no prisoners!” sentiment and turned out to be a good luck charm for the team.

The C6R Marketing department thought this would be a neat marketing idea and started with the skull and crossbones concept. A couple of the marketing people “sketched on a napkin” a skull concept using the pirate skull, eliminated the crossbones, substituted C6 flag logo for the eyes, and “Jake” was born. :thumbs:

timd38 12-27-2010 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by saplumr (Post 1576337523)
When it shows up on a guys hoodliner, floormats, shifter knob, console cover, chicklets and on and on and on....yeah it gets overdone really quick.

I have a hat and t-shirt......

OregonC6 12-27-2010 08:29 PM

I had no idea where it originated either because I never watch the sort of organized big money corporate sponsored "racing" that spawned it.

From the beginning I've thought it to be juvenile ( aka childish ) and not something I'd want on a car as classy as a vette. But, then again, I'm an "old gummer" now to use the phrase of another member here. I remember a time when people did very few mods to their brand new vettes....apparently, somehow, they were "satisfied" with the cars the way they were built.

That attitude must baffle many younger owners today. But now we have cars that look, to me at least, like cartoons ( the new Camaro ). I owned a number of first gen Camaros and they looked classy IMO. The current one is hideous IMO. But, it's all driven by marketing. Marketing either follows trends or creates them to suit the company purposes.

I'm getting really curious to see what the C7 looks like. I'm not optimistic. The C6 has gotten almost cartoonish itself.

ufso 12-27-2010 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by funymuny (Post 1576337194)
Thanks for asking that. I did not know either but just never asked the question.

The search button is a valuable tool!!!

jpuli28 12-27-2010 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by OregonC6 (Post 1576337992)
The C6 has gotten almost cartoonish itself.

:eek: Blastphemy!

The C6 is the closest resemblence to any of the previous gens, the C3. Times are uh changin' tho :cheers:

hanks10GS 12-27-2010 08:45 PM

FYI ufso, I did perform a search and did not find my answer. Thats why I put up the post. Now I have my answer. I still dont care for the looks of the "Jake Skull" but at least I know more about it. Why do people feel compelled to instruct others on performing a search? Why take the time?

saplumr 12-27-2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by hanks10GS (Post 1576338147)
FYI ufso, I did perform a search and did not find my answer. Thats why I put up the post. Now I have my answer. I still dont care for the looks of the "Jake Skull" but at least I know more about it. Why do people feel compelled to instruct others on performing a search? Why take the time?

Don't sweat it. Sometimes it's quicker and easier just to ask a question.

phileaglesfan 12-27-2010 08:54 PM

At least the C6R doesn't have JOY written down the side of the car. I personally like Jake although I agree it can be too much at times.

ufso 12-27-2010 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by hanks10GS (Post 1576338147)

Because, we have seen similiar posts since they first made the Jake Skull...that's why! Try asking a new question, like one we've never seen...