CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   4-Post Lift - Bend Pak or Back Yard Buddy? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2753782-4-post-lift-bend-pak-or-back-yard-buddy.html)

MSG C5 01-06-2011 01:30 PM

4-Post Lift - Bend Pak or Back Yard Buddy?

With all the 4-post lift threads going on, I was curious if anyone could guide me on the choice between the Bend Pak or the Back Yard Buddy.

Although I am at least 1 year away from purchasing one, a friend of mine is looking at purchasing one in the next few months and asked me if I had any recommendations. He mentioned Bend Pak and Back Yard Buddy as two lifts he's seriously considering.

I performed a search and read a few threads on these lifts, however has anyone used both of them and can anyone provide a recommendation based on actual use/peformance vs. sales fluff (which I know Back Yard Buddy is known for). Also, reasons as to why you chose one over the other, etc.

If there is another brand that is more highly recommended, please advise.

Thanks!

:cheers:

red97vette 01-06-2011 02:45 PM

my dad has had back yard buddy for about 10 years, and used it a lot, never had any problems at all. Always worked very well. Recommended. Me and him built it in the garage ourselves.

hotwheels57 01-06-2011 03:26 PM

When I first started thinking about getting my first home shop lift about 12 years ago, BACKYARD BUDDY was one of about a half dozen that I considered (ROTARY, BEND PAK, EAGLE EQUIPMENT, MOHAWK, BEN PEARSON, DIRECT LIFT, BACKYARD BUDDY).

I didn't know anyone who had a BACKYARD BUDDY, but they advertised heavily in car magazines. And we all know that the biggest advertisers have the best products. ;)

A good indicator of a quality lift is which ones are most commonly seen in commercial automotive shops. What I regularly saw was MOHAWK, BEN PEARSON and BEND PAK.

Two things caused me to not chose BACKYARD BUDDY:
#1 was their (only) obnoxious, high pressure salesman. While owners of their lifts report to really like the product and I have no reason to doubt the quality, that salesman was an ego maniac. He had absolutely nothing nice to say about any other companies products. Of all the other companies representatives I spoke to, he was the only one who badmouthed everyone elses lifts. He probably sold import cars or life insurance before lifts.
#2 (and perhaps only important to me) was when I asked about their ALI/ETL independent certification. Basically, this is a voluntary industry testing of automotive lifts. The test involves testing of advertised lift capacities vs actual lift capabilities. In other words, it's independent of what a salesman tells the consumer about the product. The lift companies will send a consumer copies of the test results.

Every other lift manufacturer I contacted suggested that whichever lift I chose (no pressure), make sure that it's certified. A gold colored certification sticker is applied to the product.

Only the BACKYARD BUDDY salesman told me the certification is a load of bunk. He told me his product was so great that the company didn't feel the need to waste the time and expense to have their lifts certified. He said that since his lifts were made in the USA, that was sufficient. Ok...

I eventually decided upon a commercial grade two post for my first lift.

I think you or your friend would be very happy with a variant of the BEND PAK HD9 four post lift. I'm very pleased with mine. Not only is it certified, but the redundant safety features are a plus. I don't think there's any other lift company which has it.

kerryt1 01-06-2011 10:23 PM

I recommend spending some time on GarageJournal.com, you will find some good information and ideas there.

itzza427 01-06-2011 11:55 PM

Backyard Buddy for me,,,,about 8 or so years now!! Everything from subcompacts to F150 super crew!! VERY solid stance weather up or down. Safety catch are slots cut into the solid 4X4 tube posts. Drive on treads are HEAVY duty and on and on!!! The jack tray id VERY beefy!! When I'm under a car I want is SOLID!!! I've seen other that have way too much wiggle and motion for my comfort!! Every where you look,,,there are well thought out little safety touches!! There are cheaper non USA lifts,,,,but I am fully satisfied with my made in the mid west American SOLID lift!! It will out last me and then some!! Hope one of the boys gets and uses it too!! They are over enough the way it is now!!:thumbs::thumbs::cheers:

MSG C5 01-07-2011 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by itzza427 (Post 1576441180)
Backyard Buddy for me,,,,about 8 or so years now!! Everything from subcompacts to F150 super crew!! VERY solid stance weather up or down. Safety catch are slots cut into the solid 4X4 tube posts. Drive on treads are HEAVY duty and on and on!!! The jack tray id VERY beefy!! When I'm under a car I want is SOLID!!! I've seen other that have way too much wiggle and motion for my comfort!! Every where you look,,,there are well thought out little safety touches!! There are cheaper non USA lifts,,,,but I am fully satisfied with my made in the mid west American SOLID lift!! It will out last me and then some!! Hope one of the boys gets and uses it too!! They are over enough the way it is now!!:thumbs::thumbs::cheers:

Their product demo looks impressive in comparing how their product is superior to their competition, however I don't understand why they just don't get the safety certification and be done with it.

24695bob 01-07-2011 11:20 AM

My Back Yard Buddy is at least 20 years old...so old that they did not even offer a 110V power unit (had to use a battery) at the time...

Converted it to use a 110 V power unit about 5 years after I purchased it...

Anyway I also own a Gemeni 4 post lift (Ok I got cheap and went with it because of the price...it uses 3 sided posts and slides inside the post whereas the BYB uses 4 sided posts and slides outside the posts...

I've owned the Gemeni for close to 10 years never had a problem with either BUT I still kick myself for not buying a second BYD...much better design ....

I purchased both at Carlisle and to be honest the salesman were not pushy at all... IF either was then I would have walked...

Bob G

Vega$Vette 01-07-2011 11:24 AM

Dannmar for me.

I did a fair amount of research before I bought.

The Bend Pac is too expensive IMO

wfdlt8 01-07-2011 12:33 PM

[quote=Vega$Vette;1576443878]Dannmar for me.

I did a fair amount of research before I bought.

I have the Danmar also. Works great and price was reasonable.

chucks 01-07-2011 01:32 PM

This may help you.
http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/...FYHb4AodZ0K1ng

hotwheels57 01-07-2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by chucks (Post 1576445199)

Thank you! :thumbs:

02HREBlue 01-07-2011 04:09 PM

Love my BendPak HD9-W.

rudolph schenker 01-07-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 02HREBlue (Post 1576446729)
Love my BendPak HD9-W.

:iagree: :thumbs: