CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Battery Tender and Dead Battery (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2767645-battery-tender-and-dead-battery.html)

augydog 01-29-2011 07:12 PM

Battery Tender and Dead Battery

I've got a 2007 Z and had a Deltron Battery Tender Plus on it for 3 years.

Never had a problem till today. Went out to start it, and just clicked, clicked, clicked. :ack: Lights, doors, radio, worked ok.

I guess its the battery? :toetap: Anyway, I thought the battery tender would take care of the battery for at least 5 or 6 years.

What's your experiences?

Tia,

augydog

2k Cobra 01-29-2011 07:19 PM

I keep a battery tender on mine at all times when home. My '07 battery went south after 3 years too.

My '01 Z06 was still going after 6 years. :woohoo:

Sorry, I had to try the new Smiley.

foremaw 01-30-2011 05:46 AM

I would guess you bought it from a dealer and did not put the new battery in yourself If you did, the history of the battery is unknown. On dealers' lots some batteries have gone flat dead several times and charged back up before you buy the car. Keeping it on the tender is the way to go but if it was damaged before you bought it, it may not last or hold a charge over the long term. Just my thoughts....

Landru 01-30-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by foremaw (Post 1576653079)
I would guess you bought it from a dealer and did not put the new battery in yourself If you did, the history of the battery is unknown. On dealers' lots some batteries have gone flat dead several times and charged back up before you buy the car. Keeping it on the tender is the way to go but if it was damaged before you bought it, it may not last or hold a charge over the long term.

:iagree:

Happened to me, if a trickle charger doesn't keep a cell charged, it's because the cell is bad. Not the charger. :cheers:

ByByBMW 01-30-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by foremaw (Post 1576653079)
I would guess you bought it from a dealer and did not put the new battery in yourself If you did, the history of the battery is unknown. On dealers' lots some batteries have gone flat dead several times and charged back up before you buy the car. Keeping it on the tender is the way to go but if it was damaged before you bought it, it may not last or hold a charge over the long term. Just my thoughts....

:iagree: Happened to me on my 05.

Vette5.5 01-30-2011 05:09 PM

A dead/shorted cell can happen at any time, even on new battery's. Had a two month old battery in a pick up truck a few year's back and happened. Also coming back from a business trip, drove my car home from the airport parking lot just fine. Went for a grocery run a bit later, and click. Age and as mentioned, what went on at the dealer early on are important factor's, but vibration is usually the worst thing.

MiamiCowboy 01-30-2011 05:20 PM

Kept my tender on my 04 Z06's original battery (7/03 production) for 7 years without any issue. In July of 2010 I replaced the battery with another Delco just because it was beyond the normal life time for a battery. I still have the battery and it holds a charge without any problems.
I now have my tender on my 09 Z06. I keep it on there all the time when not driving the car. It is set up with an external connection so it is easy to plug in and unplug.
Who knows why batteries go dead. One of the mysteries of the world why one battery lasts longer than another.

fly a Z06 01-31-2011 12:30 PM

When my Museum Delivery C6 was ready to be driven outside it needed a jump start. (:

My Trans Am's Optima red top did the clicking 2 weeks ago while the BT Plus was attached, but only need the positive cable tightened to come to life. This might be the OP's problem.

The 07Z was delivered on 1/25/07, has never been attached to a charger and has always started.

All 3 are true.

Joel

Bill Dearborn 01-31-2011 03:16 PM

First thing I would check is the battery cable connections to the battery. For many years battery cables and posts have caused replacements of batterys when all that had to be done was to clean the posts and cable ends and make sure the cables were bolted back into place correctly. With the rear battery position the Z06 is more susceptible to high resistance connections than the base Vette due to the added resistance of the long battery cables running from the rear of the car to the front. Also check the grounding point for the negative battery cable and the B+ connection of the positive battery cable at the underhood electrical center.

Bill

augydog 01-31-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by fly a Z06 (Post 1576663846)
When my Museum Delivery C6 was ready to be driven outside it needed a jump start. (:

My Trans Am's Optima red top did the clicking 2 weeks ago while the BT Plus was attached, but only need the positive cable tightened to come to life. This might be the OP's problem.

The 07Z was delivered on 1/25/07, has never been attached to a charger and has always started.

All 3 are true.

Joel

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1576665352)
First thing I would check is the battery cable connections to the battery. For many years battery cables and posts have caused replacements of batterys when all that had to be done was to clean the posts and cable ends and make sure the cables were bolted back into place correctly. With the rear battery position the Z06 is more susceptible to high resistance connections than the base Vette due to the added resistance of the long battery cables running from the rear of the car to the front. Also check the grounding point for the negative battery cable and the B+ connection of the positive battery cable at the underhood electrical center.

Bill

Good points, I did check the connections before pulling out the battery.
All were good an tight.

I've installed a new battery, and it fired right up.

I took the old battery back for the core charge and had them check it.
No dead cells as far as what they told me, just very weak. I'm not really sure what the problem was, as the battery tender was connected at all times when not driven and showed the green light which indicated it was properly charged.

When I bought the car in May of 2007, it only sat on the dealer's lot for a week. Anyway, I'm just glad it died in my garage.

augydog :cheers:

160KTS 01-31-2011 05:05 PM

I had to replace the battery in my 07Z last month. It went from lasting for months and months without being started to dying after less than 24 hours. Tiem for a new battery!

k w f z06 01-31-2011 10:02 PM

I start havin problem with mine as well , my car is been built late 07 , i just bought a Braille (21 lbs) .