CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Brake Pad Wear Tab (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2770953-brake-pad-wear-tab.html)

DeeGee 02-04-2011 03:53 AM

Brake Pad Wear Tab

Brake pads have a small tab on the pad.

The Helms Manual says: “The brake pad wear sensor, mounted on the inboard brake pad, must be positioned so that it is in the trailing position during forward rotation of the brake rotor” but the picture from the manual shows it at the trailing edge of the outside pad.

When I removed the old pads from my 02, the front wear indicator was positioned at the top edge of the inside pad. For a caliper at the back of the rotor (in the direction of travel) I guess that is the trailing edge. The rear calipers are fitted on the front of the rotor so its at the bottom as you look at it. In other words, as I read it, the wear indicator should be at the last point of contact on the rotor when its rotating. Is that correct?

As I understand its function, as the pads wear, it's forced into contact with the disc causing a slight noise/squeak to let you know you need a pad change. Is that also correct?

Does it really matter where it sits? Any advice from brakes experts?

DeeGee 02-04-2011 05:30 AM

I may have answered my own question with some googling.

The AC Delco unit looks similar although this doesn't talk about Corvette specifically. Does this seem correct?

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pd...tsb_05D-76.pdf

GUSTO14 02-04-2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by DeeGee (Post 1576699529)
Brake pads have a small tab on the pad.

The Helms Manual says: “The brake pad wear sensor, mounted on the inboard brake pad, must be positioned so that it is in the trailing position during forward rotation of the brake rotor” but the picture from the manual shows it at the trailing edge of the outside pad.

When I removed the old pads from my 02, the front wear indicator was positioned at the top edge of the inside pad. For a caliper at the back of the rotor (in the direction of travel) I guess that is the trailing edge. The rear calipers are fitted on the front of the rotor so its at the bottom as you look at it. In other words, as I read it, the wear indicator should be at the last point of contact on the rotor when its rotating. Is that correct?

As I understand its function, as the pads wear, it's forced into contact with the disc causing a slight noise/squeak to let you know you need a pad change. Is that also correct?

Does it really matter where it sits? Any advice from brakes experts?

In my opinion, yes, although it will work either way. If you mount it the other way however, it's a cinch you won't wait long before changing them! The noise will drive you nuts.

And yes, that is the sole purpose, although some folks hearing isn't so sensitive, as I've seen a few worn along with the pad material to the metal backing of the pad... go figure.

Good luck... GUSTO

DeeGee 02-05-2011 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by GUSTO14 (Post 1576706043)
In my opinion, yes, although it will work either way. If you mount it the other way however, it's a cinch you won't wait long before changing them! The noise will drive you nuts.

And yes, that is the sole purpose, although some folks hearing isn't so sensitive, as I've seen a few worn along with the pad material to the metal backing of the pad... go figure.

Good luck... GUSTO

Thanks Gusto:thumbs:

I must admit, my front pad started squeaking a while ago but I wasn't aware of this function. I was waiting to fit new pads and rotors so it didn't worry me at the time. Sure enough, that pad was totally worn. Now I know.

GUSTO14 02-06-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by DeeGee (Post 1576708952)
Thanks Gusto:thumbs:

I must admit, my front pad started squeaking a while ago but I wasn't aware of this function. I was waiting to fit new pads and rotors so it didn't worry me at the time. Sure enough, that pad was totally worn. Now I know.

DeeGee,
What pad did you decide to go with?

By the way, we have seen any pictures of snow from you this year... :ack: global warming catching up with you finally?

GUSTO

DeeGee 02-06-2011 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by GUSTO14 (Post 1576721812)
DeeGee,
What pad did you decide to go with?

By the way, we have seen any pictures of snow from you this year... :ack: global warming catching up with you finally?

GUSTO

I'd had some Hawk HPS pads I bought in the US waiting to go on. So far they feel good:thumbs:

The snows gone now and its been warmer recently. The catch is the snow's been replaced by gales so I still cant get the Vette out of the garage:rofl:

rustyguns 02-06-2011 05:22 PM

i break mine off and get another 5,000 miles out of the pad :D

leres 12-01-2018 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DeeGee (Post 1576699617)

This link no longer works but the internet archive still has it:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060317...tsb_05D-76.pdf