CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Which Headers? 1 7/8 or 1 3/4? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2782544-which-headers-1-7-8-or-1-3-4-a.html)

05vettemb 02-22-2011 07:49 PM

Which Headers? 1 7/8 or 1 3/4?

Hello everyone and thank you ahead for your help and suggestions. I recently was fortunate enough to get my very first corvette however I have been reading and studying up about them for a while now. It's a 2005 Corvette and all stock. I have in mind what I want to do, Long Tubes, catted or o/r x-pipe and borla stingers. So my concerns with all this which size I should get for the headers? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

keyplyr 02-22-2011 07:51 PM

IMO whether to install 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 headers depends on what level of power you want to match. Below 500rwhp do the 1 3/4... over 500rwhp go with the larger.

Just a general marker - of course there are many variables.

ghostrunner 02-22-2011 08:07 PM

1 3/4 works well with stock to moderate horse. Will give you a little (not much more) torque. 1 7/8 works well with bigger horse numbers. If you plan on S/C or cam, head work then go the bigger ones.

05vettemb 02-22-2011 08:09 PM

Thank you very much for replying quickly. I am looking at an intake which I cannot make my mind up about and also gonna purchase a hand held tuner b/c their isn't any speed shop around here at all to get a proper tune.

Blorton 02-22-2011 09:40 PM

Don't do the handheld tuner. Search up Chuck Cow for a mail order tune.

Marc V. 02-22-2011 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrunner (Post 1576867491)
1 3/4 works well with stock to moderate horse. Will give you a little (not much more) torque. 1 7/8 works well with bigger horse numbers. If you plan on S/C or cam, head work then go the bigger ones.

:iagree: If you are just planning simple bolt on mods and a tune, then 1 3/4.

You can actually lose performance from too large an exhaust system.

Bigger does not always mean better.

05vettemb 02-22-2011 11:11 PM

Thank you very much Blorton and Marc. The only reason I was questioning about the 1 7/8 is due to me finding a set of Dynatech headers and x-pipe on ebay for $1,000. They are brand new and the x is catted. I've heard bad things bout a smell with o/r x. I also am wanting a set of kooks so I may just suck it up and drop the $1,700 since this is the best I have found so far.

gunterwalker 02-22-2011 11:31 PM

From my understanding even with FI the 1 7/8 gains over the 1 3/4 are at a very high RPM range but the 1 3/4 will be a restriction at some point. After several talks with Anthony from LG he has me going with the 1 3/4. I was going to go SC this summer but not it will be longer. Even if I do I will prob leave the 1 3/4 on I'm not worrying about a few HP when I have 550.

BornSUPERCHARGED 02-22-2011 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by gunterwalker (Post 1576869573)
From my understanding even with FI the 1 7/8 gains over the 1 3/4 are at a very high RPM range but the 1 3/4 will be a restriction at some point. After several talks with Anthony from LG he has me going with the 1 3/4. I was going to go SC this summer but not it will be longer. Even if I do I will prob leave the 1 3/4 on I'm not worrying about a few HP when I have 550.

I've got American Racing 1 3/4" headers. Zero regrets on not going with a 1 7/8".

05vettemb 02-23-2011 12:47 AM

Ok another question, I never plan to supercharge my car or add nitrous so main concern is if I still decide to go with the 1 7/8 will it be a bad thing, like cause any issues? I found a pretty good deal on a set of dynatech's and compared to performance gains they give you with kooks etc, its an awesome deal considering I would be saving around $700, thats a few more things I could do to the car. My immediate plans with the car are the Vararam intake(still debating), borla stingers, and whichever header/x I can decide is best without problems. That will be pretty much the extent of performance mods maybe add a few more but nothing major at all, and thank you very much for your thoughts and help with this.

keyplyr 02-23-2011 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by 05vettemb (Post 1576870059)
Ok another question, I never plan to supercharge my car or add nitrous so main concern is if I still decide to go with the 1 7/8 will it be a bad thing, like cause any issues? I found a pretty good deal on a set of dynatech's and compared to performance gains they give you with kooks etc, its an awesome deal considering I would be saving around $700, thats a few more things I could do to the car. My immediate plans with the car are the Vararam intake(still debating), borla stingers, and whichever header/x I can decide is best without problems. That will be pretty much the extent of performance mods maybe add a few more but nothing major at all, and thank you very much for your thoughts and help with this.

IMO with the mods you plan to do, 1 7/8 headers will give you less power. Go with the 1 3/4.

Think of it like a garden hose...

If you have a lot of water thrust (power) a larger diameter hose is better to let all that water out faster. Less water thrust will not do well in this larger hose; it will dribble out - not a pretty sight :lol:

If you have less water thrust, a smaller diameter hose is better because it accommodates the existing power better.

2006c6keller 02-23-2011 03:23 AM

Listen!

Originally Posted by keyplyr (Post 1576870268)
IMO with the mods you plan to do, 1 7/8 headers will give you less power. Go with the 1 3/4.

Think of it like a garden hose...

If you have a lot of water thrust (power) a larger diameter hose is better to let all that water out faster. Less water thrust will not do well in this larger hose; it will dribble out - not a pretty sight :lol:

If you have less water thrust, a smaller diameter hose is better because it accommodates the existing power better.

Listen to the man, he is giving you some VERY GOOD ADVICE AND IT MAKES VERY GOOD SENSE! :cheers:

An example where EXCESSIVE size (1 7/8") might apply to a SC and could be determental. Too large of an exhaust system will cause blow through of A/F mixture into the exhaust and be improperly burned (need some restriction). Too much of a thing is NOT always good! Therefore, as some have noted, you have to look toward the WHOLE PLAN, just not parts - plan ahead for the final results. The whole system needs to be balanced to each other! Think of the whole picture, NOT parts!

C6-LS2-MN6 02-23-2011 03:54 AM

This has to be the first thread where I agree with everyone's response so far!:cheers:

I have 1 3/4" LG super pro headers and here are my results with some mods...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...nd-videos.html

Here's my other car that also had American Racing 1 3/4" headers on a supercharged car...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...od-cutout.html

Anthony@LG also recommended the 1 3/4" header system to me too.

I know I'll get flamed for showing the OP this, but here's another cheaper option than the ones he's considering....:eek:

If I had an older vette that I was doing a budget build on, I'd look into these a little further. I still want to view a set in person to see the quality first hand.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...s-in-here.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...-05-09-c6.html

BBExhaust 02-23-2011 10:12 AM

There is a lot of good information in the replies you have received so far and I agree with them. With what you are doing the 1-3/4" with a 2.5" x-pipe w/cats is a better fit for you.

On a dyno you may see that the larger diameter headers make a little more power (1-2hp) but it will be way up in the rpm's and not usable.

Here is a link, http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/corvette/c6/, to our c6 page on our website www.bbexhaust.com where you can read more about our headers, x-pipe and exhaust.

peter pan 02-23-2011 11:22 AM

You mods get the 1 3/4, I had my C5 with 1 3/4 at first, I went to 1 7/8 headers on my blowin setup and gained 15 rwhp and 18 tq, my loss down low was about 5 rwhp, you could not tell the difference on either end, but then when you have over 700 rwhp it takes alot more/less to notice a differencehttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...rican_flag.jpg

Chuck CoW 02-23-2011 12:05 PM

Thank you VERY much!

Originally Posted by Blorton (Post 1576868482)
Don't do the handheld tuner. Search up Chuck Cow for a mail order tune.

Thank you VERY much! Don't forget about AutoCal!

Here's the deal, for many years I only installed 1 3/4 cause guys usually didn't go that wild.....

Years later, many of those guys came back for cams and blowers and such and we wished we had gone with 1 7/8 pipes.

Truth is, as the driver/owner you're not gonna see much difference if at all from where you sit.

SO, going forward we decided to give everyone 1 7/8.

You won't really gain or lose anything until you get to 5 or 6 hundred HP worth worrying about.

That's how we do it.
Chuck CoW

firefighter813x 02-23-2011 12:07 PM

It's been proven to use 1 7/8 with no loss down low.

peter pan 02-23-2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by firefighter813x (Post 1576873114)

Mine made less down low, but at my levels you could not tell, the Dyno did not lie:rock:

C6-LS2-MN6 02-23-2011 06:37 PM

Maybe if you're comparing between cheap headers that use an inferior design!:rock:

Might want to check out the more expensive comparisons that actually use true 32" long exhaust primaries in their header design....that is where the tq gain will come from.:thumbs:

BornSUPERCHARGED 02-23-2011 08:27 PM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...p-results.html

Just swapping the 1 3/4" to 1 7/8"...
1 3/4": 582.5 / 512.9
1 7/8": 584.2 / 512.2

So just swapping them, you stand to make about the same power. Honestly, we've seen dyno sheets on an identical call, 3 or 4 pulls in a row, and they can fluctuate just as much as the difference you're seeing in this comparison.

PowerLabs had it further tuned for the 1 7/8", getting:
587.7 / 518.4

Gain of 5rwhp/6tq...

PowerLabs posted..

600WHP does not appear to be the point where they max out.

Finally, it is now clear to me that the headers are NOT a restriction to how much power a basic supercharged car makes. The 10PSI boost is a considerable number given the power made; a MUCH better place to remove airflow restriction and lower that number while making more power would be the camshaft; I believe a good cam could make 50HP or more at 2PSI or less boost. Perhaps this can be my next mod?
So, from what I take from all of this:
- If you've already gone with 1 3/4" headers, just stick with them.
- If you're in the market for headers but aren't going to go F/I, stick with
- If you're going F/I but don't plan on going past 600rwhp, stick with the 1 3/4" unless the pricing is identical for the 1 7/8"
- If you're going above 600rwhp, go with the 1 7/8"

I will be sticking with my 1 3/4". :cheers: