CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   I bought a corvette because...... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2785054-i-bought-a-corvette-because.html)

TheRadioFlyer 02-26-2011 07:11 PM

I bought a corvette because......

There are plenty of reasons. but lets share what some of YOUR motivation was to purchase your corvette.

For me:
- Significantly more power AND control than my Silverado
- Increased mileage (even my current 470rwhp blown setup gets 26-30mpg at cruise)
- Very maneuverable: It's saved my ass countless times when any other car would have me in an ambulance

mpride 02-26-2011 07:17 PM

All the cool kids were doing it............:D

I have a couple of reasons. I had always had some type of car to play with. I enjoy driving as well as doing a little work from time to time. However, health reasons made it impossible for me to have a car that needed too much work so I needed a later model. After looking at what was available in the past 5 or 10 years the C5 seemed to make the most sense. It was relatively new, reliable, lots a power and looks so goooood.

I really want a C3 also but I will probably have to spend a lot of cash to get one in good enough condition. We'll see.

Why don't you tell us what your motivation was?

vette.mix 02-26-2011 07:18 PM

have wanted one since the C3 was new

MSG C5 02-26-2011 07:18 PM

Growing up on "Speed Racer" and then seeing my uncle pull into our driveway in his brand new white C3 was enough for me. I was hooked.

I then fell in love with the C5 the first time I saw one. I had to have it. I almost missed it however as I bought my 04' vert new in July of 2004 just as the newly designed C6s were arriving on dealer lots.

In answer to your question...Because the C5 is the best damn looking sportscar ever made in America. Yes, even better looking than the C6. :thumbs:

Chuck A 02-26-2011 07:19 PM

Always wanted one, but now i am wanting more.
very nice, indeed

road pilot 02-26-2011 07:27 PM

I was bitten by the bug when I was 6. The first time I saw one
and that was it!!

doublec4 02-26-2011 07:30 PM

Because my it was my Dad's... and a Corvette was the first car I ever rode in. I was driven home from the hospital in a Corvette after I was born. Then grew up seeing pictures of all the vette's he owned. Always have been a big fan!

WildTurkey 02-26-2011 07:31 PM

....love for American MUSCLE (and when I was a teenager my best friends older brother had a white vert stingray) :thumbs:

:flag:

olbear1962 02-26-2011 07:33 PM

Fell in love with Corvettes from about 8 yrs old, best purchase I have ever made :thumbs:

snowbird12 02-26-2011 07:48 PM

Route 66

Big Softie 02-26-2011 07:53 PM

I have wanted one since I was fifteen. Almost pulled the trigger when I was 30 but couldnt quite afford it. 3 years and a promotion later I bought an 02 with 9900 original miles. Couldnt be happier!!:D

tbar1963 02-26-2011 08:07 PM

1..I've wanted one since I was 5 years old
2..Buddy pulled up in my driveway with a superclean convertible
3..In a position to have expensive toys..:D

J|A 02-26-2011 08:11 PM

One thing is for sure I never gonna buy a rice car, and after having european entusiast cars (Germany, Italy, England etc.) The corvette started to get a possible choice for next car.

I looked and tested both the C5 and C6, and for me i like the C5 better (at least in the design).:cool:

So i buy the vert and i feel good every day i enter the garage!:thumbs:

When I had my Porsche 911, I was one of thoose who sad that american cars have no handling and are bad manufactured - but im the first to say i was wrong, couldnt be more happy with my car!

CatCam 02-26-2011 08:14 PM

I bought a Corvette because......they don't write songs about toyotas...

laurelboy 02-26-2011 08:27 PM

Goes back to 1967. My brother-in-law had a job repossessing cars at night. One night he repops a 1962 Corvette, four speed, and two four barrel carbs. The next day, he arranges to purchase the car and gives it to his son, my nephew. That car was the most baddest car I have ever to this day rode in. I got to drive it a few times and I can still remember the power and sound of that Vette. Later in 1974, I re-enlisted in the U.S. Air Force and bought a brand new Vette. Owned it for four years and then marriage and kids, needed to sell it. Thirty years went by, and I still wanted to get a Corvette and found an awesome 1975 coupe almost like the one I had. I kept that one four five years and then started hearing and learning about the C5. This past July, I sold the 75 and searched until November for a car then bought my 02 quicksilver coupe. Could'nt be happier!! Awesome Vette and will surely be a Corvette owner for the rest of my life. Am proud to say that I have owned three Vettes and really enjoy being a member of the forum.

Silverbullet00 02-26-2011 08:34 PM

I was 10 when I rode in my POS cousin's 427 Tri Power loaded 4sp '67.

It was Awesome! Wanted a Vette ever since!

So I bought one that will out turn POS cousin's and will now out run it!

I love to tell that bastard that if he had kept his car,,,,It would be worth high six figures!

Mine won't bring 25K

f6john 02-26-2011 08:36 PM

I have wanted a Corvette since the first time I saw one on a 1/4 mile track back in 66. I had never seen a Corvette except on tv commercials. If there was anyone who owned one in the town that I grew up in I didn't know about it. But I was hooked. I rode in a C3 once and was not impressed, just too tight a squeeze for me I suppose. By the time C4's showed up I was slobbering for one but the money and timing wasn't right. When the money was a little less of an issue I tried out a used C4 that my banker had repo'ed. No offense to C4 owners then or now, but that particular car sucked, and I brought it back to them asap. A few years later I saw an 89 convertible with the hardtop sitting on a Ford dealers lot and I took it for a spin. Better but not by much, and my 86 Mustang GT felt faster and I believe it was faster. I believe that with the C5 GM finally got there collective act together. Great looks, comfortable once inside, balanced handling, good power, a joy to drive. I had to wait a long time and I bought an 11 year old C5 that I am thoroughly enjoying. I have to admit I can't afford a new C6 Z06 but If I had that kind of investment rolling down the road with the crazies out there these days I'm not sure I could enjoy it as much as I do my FRC.

Monkey D. Luffy 02-26-2011 08:37 PM

I have always loved cars, when I was 14 Smokey and the Bandit came out and I wanted a Trans am. When I turned 16 I would have killed to have any muscle car, but couldn't afford the Insurance. Then Life happened (a wife, a morgage, a kid) and I couldn't afford a really nice sports car, untill I was 44 years old. I got the Vette because hands down it's the best bang for the buck true sports car that's available. I love the looks of the C5 and it drives like a dream. I have mod fever and can't stop modding it. I have well over 20k just in mods and the list just keeps growing.

tremor1 02-26-2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by tqracr (Post 1576905617)
Route 66

:iagree: Another old guy :D

ricknyc23 02-26-2011 08:41 PM

Because every man should have a "toy". I chose the Vette as my toy...