CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Starts but won't idle or stay running (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2785244-starts-but-wont-idle-or-stay-running.html)

MrBold1 02-27-2011 01:20 AM

Starts but won't idle or stay running

I have a 1986 Vette that I just got this week that won't stay running or idle. It will start and I can keep it going using the gas pedal but it sounds and feels rough. I am going to check for codes tomorrow as the SES light is on. Could it be as simple as the TPS or IAC? I have been reading about the MAF sensor, power relay, and burnoff relay as potential culprits also. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am 100% new to Corvettes! Thanks!

Cloaked323 02-27-2011 06:01 AM

check your fuel pump as well

Sandpiper59 02-27-2011 08:27 AM

Get the codes before you start mentally spending money on it, a car that won't idle at all and is offering codes is probably the easiest to diagnose!

Jesper Dahl 02-27-2011 10:55 AM

Hi Mr Bold

I had same problem with my 88 c4....it was the MAF sensor..no codes no nothing..try disconnet it,and see if it runs again,mine did.

MrBold1 02-27-2011 01:27 PM

Disconnected the MAF and she fired right up and stayed running!!! Thanks for the advice! Still gonna check codes as she's running a touch rich. Could just need a tune up or is that because the MAF is disconnected? Thanks!

Jesper Dahl 02-27-2011 03:26 PM

Hi Mr Bold

You are welcome..yeah,i knew it would work....you dont wanna know how many sleepless nights,and big bucks i have spend on this problem...becourse my MAF was only 1 week old when this problem came along,so it was the last thing that came on my mind.You need to get, and install a new Maf sensor,to make it run smoothly.

MrBold1 02-27-2011 05:13 PM

Jesper
Thanks again for your help. Going to pick up a new MAF tomorrow. Also found that the fasteners on the airbox were broken so there is not a good seal for the air filter. Need to order that as well. Taking it in Tues for a tune up and some misc stuff.

Allen Stark 11-23-2019 12:12 PM

My 1986 Corvette

Originally Posted by MrBold1 (Post 1576908217)
I have a 1986 Vette that I just got this week that won't stay running or idle. It will start and I can keep it going using the gas pedal but it sounds and feels rough. I am going to check for codes tomorrow as the SES light is on. Could it be as simple as the TPS or IAC? I have been reading about the MAF sensor, power relay, and burnoff relay as potential culprits also. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am 100% new to Corvettes! Thanks!

starts but won't stay running iv tried unplugging a few sensor n still nothing I'm getting fuel to the tubes n fuel comes out the release any other thoughts

Gradjl01 08-06-2020 05:44 PM

I have a 1989 Chevy corvette
she has a new
idle air control valve
mass air flow sensor
fuel pump
fuel sending unit
fuel pump relay
battery
alternator
spark plugs
wires
distributor cap and rotor
oil and filter
she starts up fine but won’t idle it’s like she’s out of gas but she starts up and has a quarter of a tank
I don’t know what else to do to get her running I’m out of cash app this point
any ideas?

65Z01 08-07-2020 02:45 AM

Check fuel pressure at the Schrader valve, both at idle and as you rev the engine.
Pressure should rise slightly as you rev up if it drops off change the fuel filter on the frame rail below the door hinges.
Pull the vacuum line to the FPR and sniff for any fuel odor, should be none, else replace the FPR diaphragm.

Also check manifold vacuum for any leaks.

Gradjl01 08-07-2020 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 65Z01 (Post 1601971293)
Check fuel pressure at the Schrader valve, both at idle and as you rev the engine.
Pressure should rise slightly as you rev up if it drops off change the fuel filter on the frame rail below the door hinges.
Pull the vacuum line to the FPR and sniff for any fuel odor, should be none, else replace the FPR diaphragm.

Also check manifold vacuum for any leaks.

we did All that they think the timing is off